• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] air, blizzard, lite

I use 150 class for my drivers, and try to get star or regular champion whenever I can. I have stocked up on the ones that I like. I will say that Blizzard is usually the worst. The Air Escapes and Hatchets I have found have been great.

The Air Escapes and Hatchets I have found have been great.

Yeah totally. I wish they were still running the Air Stags though. Man, those things were the best. I'll hold out hope that they will run them again but I'm not holding my breath. I'm down to one good one left. The Escapes are good but they're not as magical as the Stags. The new improved Lucid Air plastic feels really nice but I have not thrown one yet.

Legacy Skyline is also seems promising. I've got a 157 Cannon that flat out bombs. The durability of the Skyline seems really good. Mine is seasoning in super well. They did a limited run of the Skyline Outlaws and I wish I would have gotten my hands on a few of those. Hopefully those will become a real thing before too long.

I'm starting an experiment: I've purchased every axiom Driver from the Clash to the Virus in 156g.
Background: 50 yo./300# I throw a 165g Nova 240 on flat ground. I can throw a 172g Matrix 270. I have a 172g Vanish that goes about 320 straight with fade and a 172g Insanity that will go 290 straight with fade.
Working Theory: I have good form, but slow rotation due to weight and age. 156 will yield distances over 300 with flight paths that match the Advanced to FPO (not the distance, just the flight path), so that a fireball will go 270+ straight with gentle slow speed fade and the Virus will go 330+ turn all the way to the ground when thrown flat.

The gyro supposedly keeps the stability of the platonic weight of the mold. The discs arrive Tuesday, so I should have a report by Saturday.

MVP 150s are by far the best. I've yet to see any other manufacturer's 150s hold up well. MVP still holds up like the max weight counterparts.

picked up a new air Flow. 151 real grippy and can't see the bubbles in the rim. it is beefier then any flow I have thrown over the years. A star fire is the closest thing i can compare it to flight wise. might make the bag for fh work.

I feel like my domey Air Renegades are more stable than a lot of the regular weight Renegades I have thrown. I carry three Air Renegades, and a metal flake 163 Lucid Renegade and an Air Trespass for something more OS.

As others have said, new Blizzard plastic is just awful. Completely unpredictable and nothing like the older run stuff. I used to throw first run Blizzard Wraiths and first run Blizzard Bosses and they were amazing. They were very similar to their heavier counterparts, but again those were the ones with bubbles in the plate, not the rim. Since then trilogy air plastic has been the most consistent.

When I was a 150 class thrower, my drivers of choice were the trio of AIR Saint Pro, AIR Saint and AIR Hatchet. The latest runs (<1 year old) looked and felt nice, with the AIR mostly in the flight plate and solid, durable rims.

I've also thrown the Trilogy's "Easy to Use" discs. While not AIR plastic, the DD Breakout and Lat64 Jade are decently stable 150 class fliers that wear nicely...

Right on Beener - Jade is an amazing disc for a 150 class disc.

any one thrown the skyline cannons look interesting.

I started a thread about the Skyline plastic a weekish ago. Here's the only response I got my friend:

Skyline Cannons are great! I've got a 156. I've been impressed with the durability this far. Much better than the Bliz or Starlite and Prodigy Air stuff I've tried. I would put the durability on par with Lucid Air if you've ever owned any of that. The feel is like Starlite but without the annoying rim fray that develops. Stability is impressive. It's not a max weight Cannon by any means but it doesn't try to be. I cab get some turn out of it but the fade is real. Like a good Cannon should have. It's a true lightweight bomber and by no means is it a sissy disc. Also Mst had the skylines not sure if they still have them. (edit MSt has them and you can pick weight and color).

Here is my Skyline compared to a max weight Icon. It's a pretty beefy Icon. The PLH of the Skyline is just a smidge lower than the Icon.

https://vgy.me/7wIKQm.jpg

https://vgy.me/BjGHyW.jpg

been throwing the breakout some more what a great fairway. stable enough not to turn all the way over but has that little bit of turn that really lets it glide out.

Love my fizz volt. Besides the ion, its probably my most used disc. Carving those tight wooded lines. Easy D for flicking.

I mess around with a Jade that was gifted to me. Really fun to throw and easy D too, just a bit squirrelly but that might be user error.

Also, the 150 ion is respectably OS too.

Fission Volt is my go-to driver. My entire bag is built around trying to complement it.

Only other 150-class disc I carry is an Air River used for rollers or standstill shots in the woods.

been working my breakouts and diamonds alot does the jade fit between them?

Don't know about the Breakout, I have never thrown one but
The Jade is more stable and longer than the Diamond

I actually really like the Jade, hated the Diamond

You sig is all Discraft/DGA. Another disc you might try is an X line Heat in the low 160's. I have a 162gr, it's a low power hyzer-flip machine.

yeah I throw mainly dga and discraft for years but have been having so arm speed trouble following a injury a couple years ago. started throwing lighter stuff and have been enjoying the lack of soreness following a round.

I routinely carry both the Diamond and Jade in 158g weights. I use the Jade as a driver and the Diamond more as a control midrange disc. As long as wind is not an issue, the Jade is my go to driver.

My experience with bubble plastic, from best to worst:

150g Blizzard Katana, bubbles in flight plate - My longest disc in the bag by far. Understable enough to flip up and glide without turning into a roller. If I just want to throw the disc really far and don't care where it ends up, this is the disc I use. Lot of fun to use for showing off how far I can throw, though it probably won't come out as much in an actual round.

150g Starlite Teebird - Started out like a beat-in DX Teebird, which was awesome, but then took a few tree hits and got very flippy, which was a bit less awesome. I still occasionally use it when all I care about is throwing straight and hitting a gap, but it can't take nearly as much power as when it was new.

158g Blizzard Boss, bubbles in the rim - Flies decently stable, basically like I would expect if I bought a used Pro Destroyer. Not exceptionally long (for my arm), but not an unusable paper plate either.

137g Blizzard Wraith, bubbles in the flight plate - Very unpredictable. On a calm day, it can be decently long, but even a 10mph wind coming from any direction except directly behind me will blow it all over the place.

137g Blizzard Wraith, bubbles in the rim - I use this paper plate to serve hot dogs and chips on hot summer days.

Best to worst IMO;

Fission>Trillogy air> Starlite>Helium(RIP)>Blizzard