• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Albert Lea, MN - Bancroft Gold

Martin Dewgarita

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
18 Hole Championship Caliber course on an Island, replacing the previous 9 hole course. Featuring a variety of water carry shots (mostly hyzer RHBH) with a land route available, several creative unique hole designs, tight and technical to open/technical shots, decent elevation changes, multiple line options from many tees, etc. This course has the potential to be a premier championship course in the multistate region. Coming from a guy that has played the existing premier courses in the country - I say a contender for DGCR top 50.

Several months of networking led to a city council meeting that took place Monday (4/9), course got approved, construction began on Tuesday, look for this one being playable sometime in May. In prime condition in the later summer season. Also remember this course when it's founders are a driving force in the disc golf market in the near future (A company that will make itself public nearer to the completion of this project).

This is not necessarily a thread for discussion on design or layout, everything is pretty much set. Mostly an informative thread to let the disc golf world know what's coming to southern MN. This could soon be a destination area with 3 18 hole courses within a mile of each other. As people are making their plans to come check us out, let me know, I'll be able to set you up with a course guide for the many area courses, and possibly additional accommodations in the area.

Thoughts and comments appreciated.

Bancroft Upper Gold (Actual course name not set, likely to change, ideas welcome)
bancroftbaygold.jpg

Last edited:
Course is not open, work is being done nearly every day, several fairways are cleared (playable to the survey flag) I don't know the timeline on when baskets will be installed - it will be open sometime this summer, I'll update when I know more.

Dave is not the designer, though he is spearheading much of the construction, he gives me updates every few days on which holes they've cleared out. Ross Brandt is the designer with input from many local players.

There's only a few holes left to cut out, a couple big work days coming up, not sure when it will be playable, sometime in late June/early July maybe.

random question are they going to have an ace race in al this year would be nice just sayin and good job with the progress with the course i just hope i dont throw it in the lake too much when its up and going

I am hoping the second video stopped the controversy. I will go check the new 18 out this weekend. Can't wait.:thmbup:

Buckthron serves no good purpose. The only good thing about it, is that it serves as a nice disc course obstacle, in some cases, because it's basically impossible to destory.

Will be stopping by next weekend. Likely not enough time to play the whole thing tho :(

Are the two courses both in the same park? Might want to get their pages to display that the other course is onsite if they are.

Kind of. But not exactly. Does it really matter?
Most parks with multiple courses on here are listed as such, even if there is a slight distance between them. It might help traveling players see the park more as a destination when they can get 36 holes in.

Oddly enough, the listing for the old #1 course (see the link in the OP), shows both of these courses as onsite.

Last edited:
They had been listed as Bancroft #1 and #2 but that was changed when Oak Island replaced #1. I guess they could be listed as the same park.

It would be helpful, so people on their way to Gold don't park prematurely when they first see tees and baskets.