• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] All Things FIREBIRD

167 G-star Firebird - I really like this. Zero turn, just less fade/longer than champion fb, but still a firebird, way more os than champ thunderbird.

175 DX firebird - was 9 3 0 2 when new. After ~3 rounds (no bad tree hits) 9 3 -2 1. Disc still looks like new:| .

167 G-star Firebird - I really like this. Zero turn, just less fade/longer than champion fb, but still a firebird, way more os than champ thunderbird.

175 DX firebird - was 9 3 0 2 when new. After ~3 rounds (no bad tree hits) 9 3 -2 1. Disc still looks like new:| .

With DX that's been my experience also, BUT if you like the feel it stays there quite some time.

A dx Firebird is a pretty good distance roller, after they stand up they are slow to flip.

I'm mainly a Discraft guy (using flicks/predators for firebird slot). I finally tried out a champ 167g firebird last week and it made the bag. Super reliable and easy to use, and way comfier than the predator.

I'm thinking of trying out the champ for OS duties and then pairing it with a Gstar for a little more straight / distance before the big fade.

I bagged some time champ and gstar fb and now only gstar. IMO gstar does the same tricks as champ but just with some extra glide and distance.

IMO gstar does the same tricks as champ but just with some extra glide and distance.

Whatever Firebird works for you but I disagree. A firmer Firebird (Champion/Star) will be more OS. More importantly for me, they will skip much better than G*. The softer plastic will absorb the ground more and not bounce off the way Champ/Star will. My favorite use of a Firebird is to throw a low to the ground hyzer & let it skip hard around obstacles.

It's probably been said before but a doombird/s-fd3 is a tick less overstable and more glide than a firebird. Might be worth looking into. As well, the 18 koling thundys are just as OS as a DB or nearly as a Firebird.

The main difference between Thunderbirds & FD3's are glide. Thunderbirds really lift after I throw them where FD3's are more useful for low ceilings or placement.

I think a lot of players would benefit from using a beefy Thunderbird of FD3 in place of a Firebird. I've got some Luster Thunderbirds that fly 9/5/0/3. Super OS & predictable.

I've beaten in a couple DX Firebirds into rollers, and found an old Champ Firebird covered with dog toothmarks that flew neutral.

Have been working on an 18 Sexton Bird which started out beef and is now merely overstable in a trusty "gotta go right" sense for LHBH. Very comfortable disc to throw.

The main difference between Thunderbirds & FD3's are glide. Thunderbirds really lift after I throw them where FD3's are more useful for low ceilings or placement.

I think a lot of players would benefit from using a beefy Thunderbird of FD3 in place of a Firebird. I've got some Luster Thunderbirds that fly 9/5/0/3. Super OS & predictable.

I agree. The 18 Kolings are at least that, if not 9/4/0/4.

Do they stay as good rollers or eventually even they become too flippy?

Sorry, I use roller as a term for very understable - can't throw a roller for squat. Flippy they do become.

If you play a lot and use the disc a lot, maybe 6 month life-cycle to become a Leopard. But there will be a full cycle from OS to neutral, etc. Fun discs.

I do think the Thunderbird lasts much longer as a baseline disc.

slowplastic was talking about this in another thread. I agree with what he said, that for non power throwers a Thunderbird is great. The problem is the true "beef" stuff, like skip shots, stiff headwinds, and overhands.

anyone cycle firebirds to cover most fairway/distance shots similar to Philo? I'm curious to see if a beat in firebird would somewhat resemble a thunderbird....or roadrunner once beat to trash.

anyone cycle firebirds to cover most fairway/distance shots similar to Philo? I'm curious to see if a beat in firebird would somewhat resemble a thunderbird....or roadrunner once beat to trash.

The FB has a great feel. FH or BH grip. But it just sounds like so much work to keep finding that level of 'beat in'. It's so much easier to just buy a Thunderbird & have it do Thunderbird things right from the start. I think all the Innova Speed 9's feel great.

I've beaten in a sexton enough to turn from flat and hold most of the flight. It's a fun disc, but it doesn't get the same distance as a thunderbird or pd for me. If you were dead set on making it work you could, but it took me two years to beat that one in to where it is now, and it doesn't do much for me that I can't accomplish with teebirds or PDs.

I do this to an extent. In my bag I either have a Teebird or Stag, but the next jump is the FB and I have a few in various states of wear. I keep two champ which are more OS but sometimes less so with years of use. And a Star that is now basically a Thunderbird with some turn and maintain fade.

I have two firebirds that have been in the bag for more than 10 years (an 11x and a CE) and they have straightened out a lot over the years. Still not as long as a Thunderbird or PD for me. They fly more like a fresh Teebird at this point. Straight with a predictable hard finish.

I have a couple of firebirds that will flip up to flat or even turn a bit. But the mold is really not viable for cycling. They are not reasonably replaceable. Beating in a champ firebird to be straight takes years and years of wear. You're better of using a seasoned one and fresh one for overstable shots and pairing it with a disc like the teebird, PD, or thunderbird to cycle.

I carry a beat one and a fresh one, and 3-5 teebirds that cover everything else to even roadrunner-type lines. It's much easier to get a teebird to flip over even though that takes a while as well.