• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] All Things FIREBIRD

My older ones have a tick of turn, and a much mellower fade. My first one which is an opaque FAF that I've had since 2012 and is often ITB throws about 9/4/-1/3 now my 1st run g* is about -1/2.

Depends on the plastic, but they are useful for a long time. In fact I use a beat to hell PFN Star that flies about like a fresh star TB now. Perfect for straight to fade lines.

Nice, I like these discs so I'm trying to find a spot for them in the bag. the issue is there isn't a large gap between my Tridents and Starfires... and I like Tridents too much to switch.

How do Firebirds season?
I got one bright pink luster that feels great and is pretty OS but not unthrowable like my glow C like FD3 or my flat AF fireball.

I also have a shimmer one I bought cause it was mislabeled a Starfire. It's maybe a tick less OS, hoping maybe with time it could season into a straight to fade workhorse.

The luster one has a noticeable concavity to the upper wing while the shimmer one doesn't at all. Grip on both of them is great.

I agree with Moose...but with the caveat that they season very very slowly. Eventually you may see some turn, eventually. But always the fade to fight back out.

While you get used to them and want to beat them in, experiment with thumbers/grenades/FH rollers/flex shots, and extreme spike shots. I love Firebirds on steep hyzers because they don't have any glide/push so they are very pinpoint, but also typically don't fade out of your hand so you can still get them to hold the line instead of knifing stupidly fast.

I do find if you have a windy day like 10-15+MPH headwind, they start acting like a straight to fade Teebird. I couldn't imagine using Firebirds as straight to fade workhorse drivers though, I throw my other fairways 30-50' farther.

How do Firebirds season?

I have a star(pfn) with years of use and it flies like a thunderbird now, super straight with no turn and a gentle fade. It is nice. I also have a really old champ (translucent xout) that will flip up like a Valkyrie and hold straight for a while but still have the gentle fade at the end. they take years of normal use to show that much turn though. maybe a year of daily use to get a thunderbird like one.

*depends how early of trees you hit and how hard!

I have a star(pfn) with years of use and it flies like a thunderbird now, super straight with no turn and a gentle fade. It is nice. I also have a really old champ (translucent xout) that will flip up like a Valkyrie and hold straight for a while but still have the gentle fade at the end. they take years of normal use to show that much turn though. maybe a year of daily use to get a thunderbird like one.

*depends how early of trees you hit and how hard!

Sounds like it will definitely be a while, but thunderbirdish flight would be ideal. I'm not terribly good but I can hit trees real hard. Starfires are great but they can go too far in a headwind sometimes so maybe I'll bag one if it's super windy out.

My 16 Sexton that has been in the bag since they came out is starting to get just a tiny amount of flip up. Not really turn, but will flip up a very small amount and pushes forward more during the fade. That's 2 years of hard use, countless trees, thumbers, rollers, rocks, field work. It's actually really similar to a fresh QOLF, but the fade is different.

My FAF stiff opaque FB has been in the bag since 2012 and is still very OS. Doesn't flip up from a hyzer unless there's a crazy headwind. Good thing I got a big stack of backups :rolleyes: At this rate they'll stay on the shelf for a long time.

What's the most understable variant of the firebird? Gstar or sextons?

DX after a few tree hits.

Or the old Pros (which are actually L Molds) if you can find one.

Agree on the DX. The FLs, at least my Star FLs, aren't so much more understable as just not having quite as much of that Firebird fade the FB throwers seem to love. The FL didn't succeed for a reason...

Also, an overstable Thunderbird, like those early Star runs that were so OS, might be the "most understable FB variant" that you might be looking for. I haven't tried an FD3, but I wonder if it would work; others can better answer that...

That's pretty much 'less stable'. They don't have as hard a fade in low speed flight. As I recall, it's a somewhat significant amount too. Come to think if it, I could call it a 'shorter Thunderbird' ;)

Gstar is a very underrated firebird. Workable when new and all of the ones I've handled have been on the flatter side. Don't have one bagged at the moment but that's just because I lost one a month or so ago and haven't bought a replacement.

All this talk about GStar FBs have me wondering. How does a GStar FB compare to a penned Star ThB?

Gstar is a very underrated firebird. Workable when new and all of the ones I've handled have been on the flatter side. Don't have one bagged at the moment but that's just because I lost one a month or so ago and haven't bought a replacement.

They are great for placement sidearms

I like them for forehand rollers too, you can land them more on an angle and they'll slowly flip to vertical and ride straight forever.

Agree on the DX. The FLs, at least my Star FLs, aren't so much more understable as just not having quite as much of that Firebird fade the FB throwers seem to love. The FL didn't succeed for a reason...

Also, an overstable Thunderbird, like those early Star runs that were so OS, might be the "most understable FB variant" that you might be looking for. I haven't tried an FD3, but I wonder if it would work; others can better answer that...

My special blend glow FD3 is pretty OS, I think its now more OS than my beating less stable 18 sexybird.

All this talk about GStar FBs have me wondering. How does a GStar FB compare to a penned Star ThB?

Same here. I have a penned star ThB that was so OS compared to my 3x champ I put it aside and forgot about it....until now. Maybe Ill get to try it out for FH today.