• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Am Worlds 2012--Charlotte, NC

^^^ that's a good point. I'm a crappy Am who wants to play the good courses. Since I'm not planning on coming anywhere close to cashing in Am1, I might as well play pro open and not cash. What's the difference? I still get the 'worlds' experience, get to play the courses I want to, and bonus, get to hang out with pro players. Tho, this would surely piss off any pro in my group, especially if many Ams took that plan.

Wrong. As long as you know the rules, stay out of their sight lines, etc., any reasonable pro would be grateful for your donation. Right now, the problem is pros playing for each other's money. It would be great to have a ton of aspiring players to help fatten the purse but who were no threat to tap into it.

I've been reading the thread at cdgc.

First, it seems like the only people who are defending the current proposed schedule/format are the people who have some sort of administrative title under their name.
Second, the more I read, the more defensive they seem to be getting.

Also, a user named Burgess posted this proposed schedule. Looks like it is more suited to what the Ams are looking for.

SKeFR.jpg

Probably wouldn't even be considered since it's not a CDGC original idea.

Rip Van... that's also a good point. I suppose people would see things different ways. I was thinking of my throwing an 88 to there 52, and constantly waiting for me on every hole.

I can see this thread (and the whole situation) heading into a downward spiral and people on both sides getting upset. I just want to say that from our recent experience in Rochester I can say for a fact that the entire worlds planning can be overwhelming at times, even when you have lots of help. There are so many logistics and things to coordinate. Very difficult decisions have to be made and you certainly can't please everybody. There are also many things that the PDGA decides, not the host club.

From talking with some CDGC members and reading there forums, I can see that they are doing everything they possibly can to make 2012 great, and please as many people as possible. They've been planning for 4+ years already. Taking on both pro's and am's with the numbers they are expecting will be a huge challenge. They already have a crazy amount of sponsors, a great host hotel, and entertainment plans in the works. Not to mention the work to make 14 courses ready is astounding. In Rochester we used 6 and that was tough. (we were actually gonna use 7 but couldn't pull it together in time).

Also, they didn't have to make the course info available this early at all, but they did, which should be highly commended. The whole course schedule could have been a behind the scene process, and none of you would have had this chance to offer opinions.

Before this whole thing divulges into a slam the CDGC fest, everybody should step back and try to understand the extreme effort they are putting in. I for one already want to thank them for there efforts.

For the sake of clarity:

IW=The Scrapyard at Idlewild Park
AL=Allison Property
BF=Bradford Farm
RN=Renaissance
AB=Angry Beaver at Elon Park
SM=RL Smith
WG=Winget Park
EW=Eastway Park
KB=Kilborne
SG=Sugaw Creek
BL=Bailey Road Park
HN=Hornet's Nest
NV=Nevin
EB=Eager Beaver at Elon Park

Before this whole thing divulges into a slam the CDGC fest, everybody should step back and try to understand the extreme effort they are putting in. I for one already want to thank them for there efforts.

Here, here! I'm going to support them there is no way that i'm going to miss this expierance!

I suppose people would see things different ways. I was thinking of my throwing an 88 to there 52, and constantly waiting for me on every hole.

My experience has been that the time per player tends to be a constant, regardless of what they shoot. While a pro may take 29 (or more!) seconds per shot, a less skilled player may fire in 10 seconds or less.

I just want to say that from our recent experience in Rochester I can say for a fact that the entire worlds planning can be overwhelming at times, even when you have lots of help.

From what I heard and saw, the Rochester folks knocked it out of the park (including literally, on Friday night). Great job.

Also, they didn't have to make the course info available this early at all, but they did, which should be highly commended. The whole course schedule could have been a behind the scene process, and none of you would have had this chance to offer opinions.

Good point. I think it's a smart move, though -- I know I'm more likely to attend if I know my courses ahead of time and can arrange a couple of visits before Worlds.

With that schedule above, I don't think open should play winget. However, the courses are kinda irrelevant and the schedule looks like a good compromise.

wow. That thread on the CDGC site is extremely weak. no one will explain why MA1 plays all new courses and none of the big boys. where are the answers from those in the know?

I do understand their efforts and in no way am I bashing them. And I understand the logic of better players play better courses, but I still want to play more than 3 courses in an area boasting 25+ courses, using 14 for the week's event. That's all.

looks ill be qualified for next yr, but I'm not sure if paying for a hotel/motel for 2 weeks is something i'll be able to afford on top of other expenses.

The PDGA will decide whether the schedule is appropriate. The tentative schedule has been submitted to them.

The PDGA will decide whether the schedule is appropriate. The tentative schedule has been submitted to them.

The issue is not whether or not the schedule is appropriate. The schedule is "appropriate".

The issues are that the Ams are getting screwed out of playing any of the great courses.

Disc golf is an amateur driven sport. How many professional athletes make less money per year than the amateurs who play that sport for fun? In most tournaments, we all play the same courses with the pros. I don't think I'm going to be invited to any pickup games at Staples Center.

This is also the Amateur's world championship. We are the reasons the pros get paid. Alternatives have already been posted to your schedule, CDGC. Don't act like scheduling is such a pain in the rear. You will have a year to iron out all the logistical issues.

The issue is not whether or not the schedule is appropriate. The schedule is "appropriate".

The issues are that the Ams are getting screwed out of playing any of the great courses.

Disc golf is an amateur driven sport. How many professional athletes make less money per year than the amateurs who play that sport for fun? In most tournaments, we all play the same courses with the pros. I don't think I'm going to be invited to any pickup games at Staples Center.

This is also the Amateur's world championship. We are the reasons the pros get paid. Alternatives have already been posted to your schedule, CDGC. Don't act like scheduling is such a pain in the rear. You will have a year to iron out all the logistical issues.

^^this. need to take care of the Ams if the sport is going to continue. and putting the MA1s on brand new non broken in courses is not my idea of taking care. maybe one of the new ones. but 3? and one that isnt even started??

but they will still be new. one of the best things about HN is that if you get into some trouble you can muster up a good recovery shot and save par. on a new course that is rarely the case.

putting the MA1s on brand new non broken in courses is not my idea of taking care. maybe one of the new ones. but 3? and one that isnt even started??

but they will still be new. one of the best things about HN is that if you get into some trouble you can muster up a good recovery shot and save par. on a new course that is rarely the case.

yes. but who cares. lets just put the biggest am division on 3 new courses that "could" be great.

Have you been to the new courses in Charlotte? I used to live there (moved exactly 3 years ago), and I went back at the end of April this year and played some of the new ones I had never played (Angry Beaver, Nevin, Eastway, Bailey). I was absolutely blown away by how "broken in" they all felt.

Maybe you have toured all these courses yourself too and have a different take on things, but I can guarantee that all the courses will be in great shape 1 year from now. Those guys know how to do things right in this department.

While there in April I also scouted Idlewild and RL Smith (toured it with the designers and main workhorses/mules) and they were doing a great job with the underbrush lining the fairway. I think the fears you have that you repeated 3x are valid concerns/questions, but you have no reason to be concerned.