• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Am Worlds 2012--Charlotte, NC

I'd like to have some data on why or why not people will be coming or skipping the 2012 worlds in Charlotte to present at our next meeting.

I WILL be playing because:
1. I live here.
2. The schedule doesn't matter to me in lieu of me getting to play all the courses here whenever I want.
3. I have the choice of four different divisions to play in.
4. It is cost efficient in lieu of my proximity and not having to alter my daily life to accommodate it.

If I did not live here I would still play if work and finances enabled me, but only in the pro masters division as the courses stand currently.

I will play just because it is in Charlotte and I haven't done a worlds. But honestly I'm not a big fan of huge tournaments everything just takes so long. Schedule doesn't bother me except the fact some extreme out of towners might not get to play at least one of Charlotte's best courses. I would think everyone should get at least one round at Hornets Nest but I know that isn't going to happen. (Of course I say this not knowing what the schedule is because I didn't want to watch the video :D)

Our bad on that. Stan called ahead and the park dept didnt open. I did take that bollard out though so you could drive around, some people didnt notice though.

Haha my Caddy drove my truck over some grass and we were golden :D.

I've been locked in that place so many times doing maintenance by my car headlights. It would probably be pretty funny to get a list of all the ways I have "exited" that park.

Huey, what was the rationale behind not using Nevin with the top pro's? Cause of all the complaining they did about it at US dubs?

Huey, what was the rationale behind not using Nevin with the top pro's? Cause of all the complaining they did about it at US dubs?

Are they really not using Nevin for the Pro's? I thought that was the reason for making it so long and tight :confused:.

I'd like to have some data on why or why not people will be coming or skipping the 2012 worlds in Charlotte to present at our next meeting.

I WILL be playing because:
1. I live here.
2. The schedule doesn't matter to me in lieu of me getting to play all the courses here whenever I want.
3. I have the choice of four different divisions to play in.
4. It is cost efficient in lieu of my proximity and not having to alter my daily life to accommodate it.

If I did not live here I would still play if work and finances enabled me, but only in the pro masters division as the courses stand currently.

Reasons for going.
1. Its worlds

Reasons for not going.
1. Ams not playing one of the signature ccourse

I will be going but if the schedule remains the same I will probably just donate and play open. I am not coming all that way just to get shafted on courses

I have no idea. I heard about the courses from someone that heard about them during the Beaver Bash. That was my first insight. Those courses were different than those in the video and I imagine slightly different than what was submitted to the PDGA.

The only rational I have heard about any of the choices is that the young juniors and legends would use Bailey because of the ease in walking and length.

Other things I have heard, well over a year ago... pros like the large - score by their name. Maybe Nevin doesn't offer that. I'm not sure that whining pro's affect the decision making.

Joe Mela's, speech at the Clash says it all. Quit your whining, act like adults, play golf, everyone plays the same course.

The schedule has never been reported as set so why is everyone so worried about it. There is a month until the next meeting anyways.

And, only Feldberg and Avery complained, that I am aware, because they got smoked by the other teams. You've played it 100 times and probably agree that it is one of the fairer long all wooded courses around. Basically, hole 1 & 9 are the only holes that have a tree in the fairway. On 1 it wont be a factor in worlds cause people will play the shorts and on both holes the tree is well over half way down the length of the par 4 hole ~ 300'.

Didnt Wiggles shoot like 8 down alone in the CAC 2 years ago!? Feldberg and Avery only managed 8 down, right, captains choice? Shultz and Schweb shot like -15.

Feldberg seems to complain a lot :doh:. I still love it when he complains about the twig on the ground out at Renny in the Clash video :D.

UGLY is that a personal attack. Nice win last week and one stroke improvement from last year. Hooray

Depends on if you want to be ugly.

Thanks!

They changed some stuff up, but 2- 15' missed putts in the final round hurt :)

Holes 2,5, 13, 14, 17 were all pretty much lengthened or put closer to OB. 4 was shortened slightly but made par 3.

The wind and Festival changes made it play a few strokes harder. There was more OB and some of the holes were lengthened as much as 200'. It was a par 54 this year so you lost those birdies on holes 3 and 4 (for us noodle arms)

I played a much better 4 rounds than I did last year, but still would have had a hard time beating you I think. You smoked it all 4 rounds last year.

Joe Mela's, speech at the Clash says it all. Quit your whining, act like adults, play golf, everyone plays the same course.
I wish we would all play the same courses just to squash this rediculousness towards all the divisions except the open, masters and GM pro divisions.

Davery was not the only ones griping to say the least. They just are the masters. A lot of feedback I heard was nasty at first, but after discussion became positive, except for criticism of #17. That was consistent. Just about the first part of the hole though. I like that shot personally, as more than not I hit the landing up top. Anyway, I am just surprised that the pro's aren't playing Nevin since it is promoted as a premier course due to it's challenges.

Isn't that kind of silly? A very slanted poll/questionnaire to a handful of malcontents on a non-PDGA website about their intentions more than a year away?

I'm planning to come and trust the organizers won't make decisions based on the responses.

Just found the Roc in my CAC players pack is 169g and I'm very upset about it! Not that I would have thrown it max weight but it's the principle of the thing. Just thought that should be known for the Worlds packs.

Isn't that kind of silly? A very slanted poll/questionnaire to a handful of malcontents on a non-PDGA website about their intentions more than a year away?

I'm planning to come and trust the organizers won't make decisions based on the responses.

I'll ask on the pdga site too then, but I have a feeling there are what you call "malcontents" there too. What is a "malcontent" disc golfer?

Why:

It's close

Why not:

Kinda leary after seeing the women's payout at the CAC (It would be Christy playing).

Why: I have family there

Why not.....well there's nothing resounding yet, depending on whether my wife plays FPO or FW1. That will depend on the courses. I would hope after the ridiculousness of the short tees at the beaver at the first CAC for the top womens division there that they would reconsider that course for anyone other than the juniors or Legends. The TD's seemed receptive to feedback at the time, and tiff warned them that they wouldn't necessarily like what she had to say. After some very strong suggestions, they still didn't really fix most of the issues for this years CAC. I do hope that they will get the 3rd try right.
As far as the payout goes....well, some people can get away with it and others can't. They put a value on everything in the players pack and they decide what that value is. The payout has to equal 100% for each division but you can subtract out what the players pack is valued at. That is where the unintended shadiness can rear it's head. There is always a disparity between what the TD and staff place as the value, and what the players see as the value they have recieved. So say your entry fee is $50, subtract out the $20 dvd and $15-20 tee-shirt and your down to almost nothing left for payout. Most of that stuff gets donated or at least bought for way less, which is where the profit from the tourney comes about. Also the payout turns money for them.
Hopefully it's going to help with not just course prep, but i'm guessing with that many courses going in, the baskets alone are almost $50K or more.

I know you can do that. You can also do way more and still not lose money.

I had high C-tier average B-tier prices for my event this year but also gave:

sunblock
Off towelettes
earrings
scorecards
minis

and i think some other stuff

Also spent $35 a head for food (Rec only paid 20 to play)

And still paid out near 100% without those fees taken out.

While I tend to border on the ridiculous at times I know the middle is attainable without much work.

criticism of #17. That was consistent. Just about the first part of the hole though. I like that shot personally, as more than not I hit the landing up top.

This was the only shot I remember not liking on the course the one time I have played it. I stood on the tee thinking really? But my drive did land safe and I had a 50' straddle putt for a 3.

I figure I may not like it but one shot like that on a course shouldn't ruin the whole thing.