• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

American Disc Golf Association

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to have to think on this some more.

We could run 3 divisions - 24 Players in each. and advance the Top 5 with 1 at large per division. But - then at the Championship - we would have to handicap it. Probably based on Rating. I actually like a handicapped tournament. Levels out the playing field somewhat.

Thanks for your input David. Appreciate you.

I'm not saying you should change. Just be aware of how it will play out.

Are you planning to put the qualifiers from 2 divisions, into 1 division for 1 prize, in the finals?

Notes on handicapping:

* That's something else that would require a waiver from the PDGA, if sanctioned.
* Handicapped events are rare in disc golf, and previous trials weren't popular (beyond local leagues). I know golf does them, but this isn't golf. It may not go over well.
* How you handicap may open up a huge new can of worms.
* On the other hand, it may increase attendance in the qualifiers, if players know that just meeting the top-10 in the qualifier gets them into a handicapped crapshoot for the prize.

Your website sounds really fishy and it redirects to facebook for whatever reason. I'd suggest you keep your beliefs out of it, you lost me and probably a bunch of others because of it, but its your right. It also sounds like you don't have a good understanding of how a disc golf tournament works. Cant wait for you to try and revive the Salient brand next.

I agree as most Disc Golfers are not all that Religious and if they are they know better then to spew crap all the time about it. This is not Football or Baseball where in the USA south they force the Religion into the sports.

I would not want a vehicle as a prize. Whether I needed it or not. I dont want to pay the taxes, license, registration, storage, maintenance. Ok, cool, delay my taxes for a few months, but all the rest of that comes at me right off the bat.

I'm not saying you should change. Just be aware of how it will play out.

Are you planning to put the qualifiers from 2 divisions, into 1 division for 1 prize, in the finals?

Yes. Maybe 3 divisions into an Open Field in the Championship that is handicapped.

I'm going to formulate a Handicap System over the weekend. Then we'll see what the PDGA says next week. I actually like a Tournament that is handicapped. Puts everyone on kida sorta a level playing field. Can make it such that the Advanced Amateur gives up a bunch, but just enough to where a Novice stands a little chance to win.

What a Rec or Novice player will take away from the experience is being able to play with quality players and perhaps better their game. All this for $100 and some gas . . .

Notes on handicapping:

1 That's something else that would require a waiver from the PDGA, if sanctioned.
2 Handicapped events are rare in disc golf, and previous trials weren't popular (beyond local leagues). I know golf does them, but this isn't golf. It may not go over well.
3 How you handicap may open up a huge new can of worms.
4 On the other hand, it may increase attendance in the qualifiers, if players know that just meeting the top-10 in the qualifier gets them into a handicapped crapshoot for the prize.

1 - I'll ask.

2 - Rare is good. Goes along with our mantra of something exciting & fun.

3 - Gonna work on this. It will be based on a Players current PDGA rating. To what extent - not sure. Once we do several Tournaments - the Handicap will be easier to judge since we will have data to support that Player's performance.

4 - If we run 3 Divisions - Advanced 935> , Intermediate <935 and Rec <850 - there would be 24 players in each Division and we would advance the Top 5 + 1 Atlarge by Draw. That would give us a full field of 72 in the Championship.

Wouldn't handicap the Q's. Not sure how to do it for the 'Ship. I'll work on it by Monday and you know I'll post my thoughts and ya'll can offer advice ;)

I agree as most Disc Golfers are not all that Religious and if they are they know better then to spew crap all the time about it. This is not Football or Baseball where in the USA south they force the Religion into the sports.

Having a "Prayer" prior to the start of the Event isn't being "religious", nor is it "religion" . . .

We are going to have a Prayer prior to National Anthem. It will be listed in the Tournament itinerary. Players will know about it prior to attending. Should they want a refund - we will provide that the next business day.

I would not want a vehicle as a prize. Whether I needed it or not. I dont want to pay the taxes, license, registration, storage, maintenance. Ok, cool, delay my taxes for a few months, but all the rest of that comes at me right off the bat.

This is why I love this forum. Sharing of Ideas. I didn't figure "different strokes for different folks" . . .

I think the way we will handle it is by associating a certain Prize Package with a specific finishing position . . .

Champion = $5000 Prize Package, Runner Up $2500 Prize Package, 3rd / 4th $1000 Prize Package.

Keep in mind, as stated from day one, we are in initial planing stages and nothing is set in stone. Once we start marketing the Tournaments - everything will be solid and in place.

4 - If we run 3 Divisions - Advanced 935> , Intermediate <935 and Rec <850 -

PDGA amateur divisions are

> 935 Advanced
900-934 Intermediate
850-899 Recreational
< 850 Novice

Players may play in a higher division if they wish. TDs may limit which divisions they offer.

Work with that formula. You don't have to offer them all; you'll see where players would get bumped. Don't try to change the names or rating ranges (certainly not if you sanction, and I'd advise against it even if you don't).

I'm no fan of handicaps, nor of advancing players from each division to an open (advanced) finals. But, hey, it's your toy.

Having a "Prayer" prior to the start of the Event isn't being "religious", nor is it "religion" . . .

:doh:

Words mean things. Let's just use the first results on Google.

Prayer: "a solemn request for help or expression of thanks addressed to God or an object of worship."

Religion: "the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods."

Here's a bonus definition to clear up that first one: worship: "the feeling or expression of reverence and adoration for a deity."

Run your tournament however you want, I don't care (mostly), but don't disrespect the language like that within earshot of me.

PDGA amateur divisions are

> 935 Advanced
900-934 Intermediate
850-899 Recreational
< 850 Novice

Players may play in a higher division if they wish. TDs may limit which divisions they offer.

So - if we run Advanced, Intermediate and Novice - a Player with a with a 875 rating could play Intermediate or Novice - correct?

Is there a huge difference between a 875 player and a 900 Player?

I think the way we will handle it is by associating a certain Prize Package with a specific finishing position . . .

Champion = $5000 Prize Package, Runner Up $2500 Prize Package, 3rd / 4th $1000 Prize Package.

then give the Players a choice of Prizes that they can mix and match their prizes if they have enough credits:

4wheeler, Jetski, Vacation, Cruise, Scooter, etc

I'm no fan of handicaps, nor of advancing players from each division to an open (advanced) finals. But, hey, it's your toy.

Only if there is a way to level the playing field.

How many strokes would a Novice Player need to compete with an Advanced Player?

Nova,

You certainly have the right to decide what is good for you and what isn't.

But - you certainly don't have the right to decide what is good for me nor my endeavors.

If peeps have an issue with it - then, i imagine they will speak with their wallets by not registering.

In GA and SC, we are in the bible belt. Most folks have no issue with Prayer, Country Music, Cold Beer and more . . .

Happy New Year!

:doh:

Words mean things. Let's just use the first results on Google.

Prayer: "a solemn request for help or expression of thanks addressed to God or an object of worship."

Religion: "the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods."

Here's a bonus definition to clear up that first one: worship: "the feeling or expression of reverence and adoration for a deity."

Run your tournament however you want, I don't care (mostly), but don't disrespect the language like that within earshot of me.

Nova,

You certainly have the right to decide what is good for you and what isn't.

But - you certainly don't have the right to decide what is good for me nor my endeavors.

If peeps have an issue with it - then, i imagine they will speak with their wallets by not registering.

In GA and SC, we are in the bible belt. Most folks have no issue with Prayer, Country Music, Cold Beer and more . . .

Happy New Year!
You've missed my point entirely. I can explain it to you, but I cannot understand it for you.

Yes. Maybe 3 divisions into an Open Field in the Championship that is handicapped.

I'm going to formulate a Handicap System over the weekend. Then we'll see what the PDGA says next week. I actually like a Tournament that is handicapped. Puts everyone on kida sorta a level playing field. Can make it such that the Advanced Amateur gives up a bunch, but just enough to where a Novice stands a little chance to win.

What a Rec or Novice player will take away from the experience is being able to play with quality players and perhaps better their game. All this for $100 and some gas . . .

1 - I'll ask.

2 - Rare is good. Goes along with our mantra of something exciting & fun.

3 - Gonna work on this. It will be based on a Players current PDGA rating. To what extent - not sure. Once we do several Tournaments - the Handicap will be easier to judge since we will have data to support that Player's performance.

4 - If we run 3 Divisions - Advanced 935> , Intermediate <935 and Rec <850 - there would be 24 players in each Division and we would advance the Top 5 + 1 Atlarge by Draw. That would give us a full field of 72 in the Championship.

Wouldn't handicap the Q's. Not sure how to do it for the 'Ship. I'll work on it by Monday and you know I'll post my thoughts and ya'll can offer advice ;)

I don't know about that. (72 x 50 X 5 = 18,800) + (64 x 50 = 3,200) = 22,000. 10,000 / 22000 = 45% of money being returned. Likely the worst payout ratio I have seen at any tourney.

Status
Not open for further replies.