• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Another situational rules question

solomon.trenton

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
So heres my question: I'm playing a hole with a hill in the middle and woods on both sides. Im at the base of the hill and shank my shot into the woods on the left. I cant find it and neither can my friend after about 20 minutes. So I took a penalty shot from where we saw my disc enter the woods. on the way to my penalty shot I saw my second shot laying in the middle of the fairway. Since I called it a lost disc does that mean I stilll have to take my penalty stroke? Or, does my penalty throw count as a provisional?

If it were a tournament, you don't get 20 minutes, you get 3. Once that time is up, the disc is lost and you proceed as such even if the disc is later located.

Several issues here. As pointed out, you only have 3 minutes to look. Once you declare a lost disc, you get the penalty even if you later find the disc either before or after your next throw. If you actually threw from where you last saw it enter the woods, you get an additional 2-throw penalty for not playing the hole properly. On a lost disc, you always play from your previous lie unless TD provides a drop zone for lost discs.

Correct. The old rule before 2006 was playing from last point seen inbounds. Previous lie has been in place for five years now.

Correct. The old rule before 2006 was playing from last point seen inbounds. Previous lie has been in place for five years now.

Do you still play water from the last place it went across or from your previous spot. If I recall correctly you used to be able to choose either which was nice for those times when your birdie putt hit the basket and rolled all the way down the hill to some water. But I may have just made that up in my head.

Yeah, on ob unless otherwise specified by the TD, you have the choice of last point inbounds, previous lie, or drop zone if one is provided, all with a 1 stroke penalty.

This is why I look around the basket if I can't find the disc where I thought it landed. Always spend that last minute looking in the obvious places. I've had a couple I could swear were off in the woods somewhere that I actually found in the fairway or near the basket.

Do you still play water from the last place it went across or from your previous spot. If I recall correctly you used to be able to choose either which was nice for those times when your birdie putt hit the basket and rolled all the way down the hill to some water. But I may have just made that up in my head.

You always have the option to rethrow from your previous lie, with a one stroke penalty. Definitely something to think about it a putt goes OB.

This is why I look around the basket if I can't find the disc where I thought it landed. Always spend that last minute looking in the obvious places. I've had a couple I could swear were off in the woods somewhere that I actually found in the fairway or near the basket.

ive had 2 shots that ended up 200+ feet from where i saw them land/go into the woods in the last two rounds. so this isnt starting to sound like a bad idea

ive had 2 shots that ended up 200+ feet from where i saw them land/go into the woods in the last two rounds. so this isnt starting to sound like a bad idea

elves or pixies is my guess

Wow, that explains why I get a look of astonishment when I tell someone they have to go back to the tee on a lost disc. Since I am also a ball golfer, I thought this has been the rule since the 1800's...

Players and TDs haven't been happy with the change to previous lie. So a tweak was added to the 2011 rules which allows the TD to specify a drop zone on holes where lost discs are common. This helps speed play especially on big downhill holes where it can take a while for a steady stream of players to climb back up to the tee after they yank shots into the the deep woods on either side.

drop zones really spead up play in a few tournaments i was in due to player after player chucking their discs into water

(including me :( , yeah, chucked it right onto the frozen lake)