• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Any Sidewinder Love?

How do those First runs compare to a new stock Sidewinder?

They're actually a lot flippier, it's kinda weird. My 1st run is 177g Champion Plastic, and is way more flippy than my 171g Star Sidewinder.

The 1st Run is in pretty good shape too, the mold must have changed slightly over the years. The 1st Runs are definitely super flat, where as new ones are a little domey, if not way domey.

EDIT: Since the pic got left on the last page-

GJgy4.jpg

Man I love the Sidewinder. My fresh Star Sidewinder has the perfect amount of turn and great glide.
It gets me the same distance as my pop-top Star Wraiths (420 - 440' feet) but on a much different flight path. And because it is a new SW, there isn't too much turn yet. Such a fantastic disc for people who like to throw with a little hyzer.

I'm shocked that more people don't throw this disc. Or maybe they do but they don't admit it? LOL

Man I love the Sidewinder. My fresh Star Sidewinder has the perfect amount of turn and great glide.
It gets me the same distance as my pop-top Star Wraiths (420 - 440' feet) but on a much different flight path. And because it is a new SW, there isn't too much turn yet. Such a fantastic disc for people who like to throw with a little hyzer.

I'm shocked that more people don't throw this disc. Or maybe they do but they don't admit it? LOL

Sidewinder gets a lot of action in the Carolinas

Very nice necro bump, there. :thmbup:

And yes, I agree that a lot more people bag and throw the Sidewinder than are willing to admit it... :popcorn:

Anyone thrown CD2s vs Sidewinders? I hear they are pretty similar, maybe CD2 a couple notches more stable?

I'm a recent convert. People are seeing me throw these things past their 12/13 speed drivers and are starting to buy them. I hate to even think about it, but there is a slight chance my Terns are in trouble.

...I hate to even think about it, but there is a slight chance my Terns are in trouble.

Interesting. I struggle with nose angles sometimes and prefer to throw the more forgiving, slower drivers. Is this why your Terns are in trouble? I'm interested to hear why the SW might take the Tern slot.

Interesting. I struggle with nose angles sometimes and prefer to throw the more forgiving, slower drivers. Is this why your Terns are in trouble? I'm interested to hear why the SW might take the Tern slot.

The Terns would be in trouble due to my ability to basically reach the same spots with a 9 speed disc that has a deeper rim. It doesn't happen often, but I will occasionally get a poor release from the Tern's shallow rim. Plus, I am convinced that over the course of many throws, my release speed is higher with the 9 speed rim than the 12. Oh, and SWs glide better down wind where I struggle.

I flip flop almost every year between champ Sidewinders and Valkyries.

I've been mostly going with Valks lately as they stay just a tad more stable when broken in.

I currently bag a champ Mamba for my super flippy spot, but my ideal disc there is a SUPER beat champ SW. Man, I had a couple of those that were just MONEY. Basically mamba level US SW, but I like the rim on SWs better than Mambas.

But I lost them, and then it's a total pita to replace a disc like that, so I just starting going with Mambas as they are at the right under-stability out of the box.

I've been mostly going with Valks lately as they stay just a tad more stable when broken in.

I currently bag a champ Mamba for my super flippy spot, but my ideal disc there is a SUPER beat champ SW. Man, I had a couple of those that were just MONEY. Basically mamba level US SW, but I like the rim on SWs better than Mambas.

But I lost them, and then it's a total pita to replace a disc like that, so I just starting going with Mambas as they are at the right under-stability out of the box.

Can a Valk keep up distance wise?

Anyone thrown CD2s vs Sidewinders? I hear they are pretty similar, maybe CD2 a couple notches more stable?

I've only thrown a few CD2's and they were all S-line, likely molded a couple seasons ago. So what I'm saying is I don't know how much they can vary.

But to me the CD2's were like a beat in Thunderbird that is very workable, or the flight shape of what McBeth smashing a Thunderbird looked like but for a normal arm speed. Like a -0.5/2 flight...it would pop up but still have a fade. Also, lasers on FH shots for me that would drift a bit on a hyzer flip and have enough LSS to come out of it well.

The SW is shaped more US in the rim, so if you turn it over it will stay that way. When they beat in they will slowly turn for the whole flight and the fade will help pan it back to not cut roll, but it won't flex out of that flight. Even Champ SW that are really beefy for a SW will fly similar to a CD2 on slight hyzer flips, but my gut feeling is if they get turned from torque/anny/wind they show their underlying US characteristics more.

I could see a less stable SW and a CD2 of the stability I have thrown working very well together. Just my experience is champ SW are far more stable than expected, like -1/2 in flight...great discs and tons of glide on golf shots, just not a turnover flippy driver if that's what you're expecting. I think if you want the disc to hold its line if you're off your game or the conditions are a bit windy then CD2 is better, and if you want the disc to be capable of left to right lines then SW is better.

SW's are so good, they go so far and are very forgiving. They should be one of the most popular molds out there, and if they were re-marketed the glide number should be 6.

I have some champ SWs pfn that might fit this for you. I'm at work now but this evening I can show you what I have. They are in the upper 160s in weight.

Can a Valk keep up distance wise?

Yeah, they are only a touch more stable, comparing new ones (the new champ SWs are pretty beef compared to older or used ones). Honestly, at my distance (like max 375' on a crush), there's only a slight difference between them. They may give up a few feet to a SW, but on the other hand, they have a touch more fade so I can crank on em a bit more.

It's a toss up, which is why I flip flop so much. When I lose the one in my bag, I replace it with whatever I have on hand, whichever mold it is.

I have some champ SWs pfn that might fit this for you. I'm at work now but this evening I can show you what I have. They are in the upper 160s in weight.

I may be interested...hit me up.

which sw they vary so much

my buddy throws a new run champ as a fh roller disc and for a overstable control driver

i got a gstarrr sw in the bag that i use for hyzerflips

ive only thrown early runs of gstarrr but those have been the closest to the pfn champ sw flight which imo was the "true" sw flight

also i started a thread back in the day about sw changing the nose

something like "champ sidewinder variation" or whatever

also i started a thread back in the day about sw changing the nose

Innova molds the Orion LS (OLS) for Millennium. The OLS is the Sidewinder mold with an added nose spacer. The OLS is more evenly stable than the Sidewinder. Don't expect much turn out of them at all, especially if they are new.

Some of these OLSes have been accidentally (?) mis-stamped as Sidewinders. In know this is true because I have at least one of them. Some people are probably disappointed to find out their new "Sidewinder" is even more overstable than a normal new Sidewinder. Overall, OLSes are great discs... but won't fly like the 9/5/-3/1 flight numbers.

That is the only "nose change" I know of. I have since bought new Sidewinders and they are the proper mold configuration. It's always a good idea to buy discs in person when you can :)

Innova molds the Orion LS (OLS) for Millennium. The OLS is the Sidewinder mold with an added nose spacer. The OLS is more evenly stable than the Sidewinder. Don't expect much turn out of them at all, especially if they are new.

Some of these OLSes have been accidentally (?) mis-stamped as Sidewinders. In know this is true because I have at least one of them. Some people are probably disappointed to find out their new "Sidewinder" is even more overstable than a normal new Sidewinder. Overall, OLSes are great discs... but won't fly like the 9/5/-3/1 flight numbers.

That is the only "nose change" I know of. I have since bought new Sidewinders and they are the proper mold configuration. It's always a good idea to buy discs in person when you can :)

i got gggt in the area

ill peep my buddies disc i admittedly havent bought any new sw cuz of the mess up

so current run champ sw are back to the "true" sw flight

15823314_1335976359807768_2960871897013981081_n.jpg

This link will break in a few weeks because the image is on Facebook. The extra parting line is an accidental artifact from the injection molding process. This is the easiest way to visualize the added nose spacer and differentiate between the OLS and the Sidewinder.

If you want an overstable (relatively) Sidewinder, look for that second parting line. Or just buy an OLS :)

Latest posts