• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Anyone else out there a slow starter?

I find putting practice the most important, so I always make time for that. Early on in the round, solid putting can bail you out of a poor drive and/or upshot.

I tend to take practice holes on a case-by-case basis. If it's a deuce-or-die course, I definitely want to play a string of short holes to get into the feel of things. I hate warming up with pars while others are dropping birdies. If it's a long, grueling course, I'll only play a few holes and conserve my energy. Try and find a few where I can throw backhand and forehand drives.

And that's just me. You may benefit from a routine that you follow for every tournament. Good luck!

i may sound like safety steve, but i really think staying hydrated before/during/after a round is super important. i always take a 32 oz water/gatorade to an 18 hole course. depending on the conditions, i may actually take more.

I have really noticed this recently in my casual and tournament rounds. I really like getting 3 to 5 holes warm up in before a tournament round.

I have also found that if I get hungry or thirsty that I tend to not play as well so I tend to keep food and hydration beverages on me when I am playing an important round.

Lastly, there is also a huge mental aspect to it. Earlier in the round I tend to be comparing myself to others in my group if I am playing with others and that makes me play not as well. When I get to just thinking about my own game and not worrying about how I am doing compared to others, I play better.

The moral of the story, be prepared, be confident and play your own game.

I've had those kind of rounds where you've played at least 13 holes before you get a bird. There's something to be said about warming up.

Of course, I've also had rounds that started off hot, then went frigid as I hit the back nine, so I can't say there is a pattern.

I'm typically a bogey starter or worse. Jussi Meresmaa talks about warming up properly before your round in the Deep in the Game video series:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4zvNJ2Dk6g&feature=channel&list=UL
I rarely take this advice as I find warming up so boring but when I force myself to do it the round seems to start better for me. Then again sometimes it doesnt work :confused:

When I just hop out of my car and play, I tend to start slow since I'm not warmed up.

A good 30 minute warm up and stretch, and I usually play as I should out of the gate. This is especially true at tournaments, since it also puts you in the routine of trying to play good golf.

I noticed when I practice my putts before the round I play below average...
But when I just start a quick round with just a nice stretch I feel so much better?

Weird

Latest posts