• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Anyone else putt with a Discraft Zone?

you know, i bet the "shallow-ness" of the zone gives you more accuracy. for some reason, when i switched (only briefly) to the ridge, my accuracy was 50x better and was making putts on a way more consistent basis. but i putt with a challenger now....so there's my story lol

you could also try the ringer too....ask mojo, he uses them

you know, i bet the "shallow-ness" of the zone gives you more accuracy. for some reason, when i switched (only briefly) to the ridge, my accuracy was 50x better and was making putts on a way more consistent basis. but i putt with a challenger now....so there's my story lol

you could also try the ringer too....ask mojo, he uses them

By Shallowness you mean it's low profile right?

If that's the case then yeah.It feels great in the hand and my putts are dead nuts straight.I put a lot of spin and force on my putts,so the zone works pretty good so far.

I seen a Ringer at the Local shop the other day,but didn't pick it up to feel it.If it is low profile as well I may try it out.

If it works, it works. I've never tried putting with them unless its really windy. When I think about it though, I'll miss a putt and have my zone setting on the ground as my marker and pick it up and putt with it. More times than not it goes in.

I don't think this is quite an "ah ha! moment". Zones are great discs, but a simple equipment change isn't going to fix your crappy putting. The Zone is also a bit too overstable for everyday use as a main putter. You really have to compensate for the fade a ridiculous amount with your angle and speed the farther away from the basket you get. They also nearly always land on edge when you miss a putt, require a lot of speed to fly straightish, and have a very driver-like profile, all of which leads to lots of extra action like rollaways and weird sliding on misses, especially on hilly or hard terrain.

The true lesson to learn here is that you just need to practice putting more. I do recommend picking up some Pro D Zones though. They're nice discs and beat in fairly well.

Rollaways, weird sliding on misses has not been my experience at all. A couple months ago I switched to putting with Pro-D Zones, and they have been great in terms of rolling and skidding that I had with Magnets and Anodes.

I love these in Pro-D. I haven't bought one yet in ESP though.

zones work well to putt with, given you use the right one. I have about 10 zones and use them for putting, utility, and driving. A beat pro d zone is dead nuts straight when driven and a little more overstable than a wizard when putted. I love putting it espcially since it is so shallow. Beat one up and reap the benefits.

If I'm within 80' and have anything but an ESP Zone in my hand, I'm drunk and grabbed the wrong disc.

I don't think this is quite an "ah ha! moment". Zones are great discs, but a simple equipment change isn't going to fix your crappy putting. The Zone is also a bit too overstable for everyday use as a main putter. You really have to compensate for the fade a ridiculous amount with your angle and speed the farther away from the basket you get. They also nearly always land on edge when you miss a putt, require a lot of speed to fly straightish, and have a very driver-like profile, all of which leads to lots of extra action like rollaways and weird sliding on misses, especially on hilly or hard terrain.

The true lesson to learn here is that you just need to practice putting more. I do recommend picking up some Pro D Zones though. They're nice discs and beat in fairly well.

I've never seen a post of yours with so many completely incorrect statements included. I don't know exactly what to say other than that. The profile makes it so completely different than other putters that it easily can be an "ah-ha" moment (and was for me). The dimensions fit in my knuckle areas; no other disc does (at least not as well). It reacts more consistently on the ground than anything else I've thrown. Consistently bad if you don't allow for its consistency. I don't know (or care) if it flies "straight" at slow speeds; it flies consistently at all speeds.

The only thing I do agree with is that D Zones are very nice discs. They're suprisingly straight-flying.

I've just started using the zone and the ringer trying to get the same xd feel. Great for windy days and has more glide than the ringer.

I use The Zone as my main upshot disc. If you like the way it feels, you might try a Ringer or Rhino for putting. Still overstable, but not as much so. Using The Zone as your main putter will cause you problems down the road.

I used an ESP Zone for putting for a little bit until I bounced out of the basket about 100 times. Probably because it was ESP but still, I only use them with winds over 20mph.

All the reasons provided so far. They're faster, more overstable, and more nose angle sensitive than traditional putters. They're not as controllable. Sure they are "consistent" but only in so far as they are very overstable. All putters are consistent.

Obviously you can practice with a Zone (or any other disc for that matter) and adapt a style of putting that works, but switching from the KC Aviar to the Wizard to the Zone [like the OP] is not the way to improve your putting game.

Not going to lie, I haven't heard of anyone using a discraft putter other than 1 guy using challenger, or 1 guy using a banger Gt.... I'm sure there are some on here, but I stick with my 2 putters xD

I Putt with the zone every few holes when i need something really fast and predictable.

I enjoy even putting with FH:)

Just putt with whatever makes you Happy.

I only use mine for drives or approaches but will use it for putts if I'm looking way up at the basket, like when the green is on the side of a hill and I'm at the bottom of it. It's very straight up a steep incline.

Sorry for the late reply.I've been messing around with the Zone with great success.

I see many say it's not good to switch from KC to Wizard to Zone.Some may find it hard to do, which I can understand.I've been playing for a while now and when I feel something click,I know it's something that needs more looking in to.Many who have seen my posts know I've used KC Pro's and Wizards.The thing is the reason why I switch back and forth between the two,is when one feels a little off,I go back to the other.Been doing so for years.With the Zone I don't feel the need to switch anymore.

In all my years of disc golfing,putting with the Zone has increased my scores by 2 strokes or more due to the consistency of the putter.Where I have smaller hands this putter just feels so natural to me.Since I have a lot of snap and pitch on my putts this putter fits the bill.Since I'm still using the same putting motion as before,I don't see how it can create problems down the road.

I did get a Ringer and it works very well for downhill putts,since it hardly has any glide.I use it on drives too.To be overstable, the Ringer can go pretty straight on drives.

Sorry for the late reply.I've been messing around with the Zone with great success.

I see many say it's not good to switch from KC to Wizard to Zone.Some may find it hard to do, which I can understand.I've been playing for a while now and when I feel something click,I know it's something that needs more looking in to.Many who have seen my posts know I've used KC Pro's and Wizards.The thing is the reason why I switch back and forth between the two,is when one feels a little off,I go back to the other.Been doing so for years.With the Zone I don't feel the need to switch anymore.

In all my years of disc golfing,putting with the Zone has increased my scores by 2 strokes or more due to the consistency of the putter.Where I have smaller hands this putter just feels so natural to me.Since I have a lot of snap and pitch on my putts this putter fits the bill.Since I'm still using the same putting motion as before,I don't see how it can create problems down the road.

I did get a Ringer and it works very well for downhill putts,since it hardly has any glide.I use it on drives too.To be overstable, the Ringer can go pretty straight on drives.

I totally agree. The notion that overstable is bad for your form seems BS, if you're sinking the putts, that's all that matters, right?

My Zone will never be a Putter.I tried it...and it didn't end well

Many who have seen my posts know I've used KC Pro's and Wizards.The thing is the reason why I switch back and forth between the two,is when one feels a little off,I go back to the other.Been doing so for years.With the Zone I don't feel the need to switch anymore.

Hmm.

The notion that overstable is bad for your form seems BS, if you're sinking the putts, that's all that matters, right?

Sure, but that's a big "if". It's not necessarily bad for your "putting form", but more neutral putters allow you to run longer putts and throw different lines with fewer repercussions when you miss.

My main problem was with the initial line of thinking in the OP: "I was shanking right today so I switched putters." Pulling your putts right is just a problem with the timing in your putting stroke. Switching putters will not fix it. You still have to aim the Zone, and it becomes more and more difficult to account for the fade as you add in things like crosswind, elevation changes, gaps to go through and obstacles to go around, and all the other stuff you encounter on a course.

Latest posts