• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Are grip eq's really worth it?

novice Chris

Par Member
ive been looking through the Internet for a while because I'm thinking about switching to a back pack at some point. And I like the look of a lot of the grips but I haven't been able to get any in my hand to check them out for myself. So what do you think? Are they worth saving for or do you have other recommendations on good back packs.

How often do you play, how much do you carry, how many discs?

The Grip is a fantastic bag. I carry one. But, there may be other bags that don't cost quite as much that will still suit your needs.

They are excellent packs. They are pricey, but I think the higher end more expensive bags are overall worth it. Not just grips either, bags like the mahal, simian, ect are all expensive but fantastic products.

Grip charging for the rain fly separately is kind of annoying tho. That does irritate me.

I have a grip c14 and it is a phenominal bag. Lighter and more comfortable then any other similar sized bags available. The c15 is basically the same with a few very minor improvements.

I play fairly often but not every day like I would like to. And I carry between 15-18 discs at a time. As far as extras I have a towch and try to keep a water bottle with me. And then just put my keys, wallet, ect in my bag.

As far as discs go, I recently had my putters stolen during a putter only round. So I have one coming in the mail and then I have about 6 FDs and DDs and about 5 mids. And like I said I'm working on replacing my P/As

One problem I have with bigger bags is carrying more discs than I need. It can make disc selection difficult at times. I think when playing tournaments or big courses that take a long time having the extra room is great but for an every day rec round I try to keep it small and simple. Just my 2 cents!

I struggled with that question for a couple of years. I settled on a bag with backpack straps (Fade Tourney / DGA Gelz) and was fairly happy with that setup for a good while. As it has started to wear, I was looking around and found a good deal on a Grip B15 and jumped on it. The difference is night and day. A loaded Grip carries extremely well and distributes the weight correctly. I carry ~20 discs, 32oz Nalgene (or two), towel, and personal effects. The total load is heavier in the Grip, but feels much lighter. The materials are top notch, too. The straps are similar in quality to my 5.11 bag, though the bag itself uses a mix of materials to save weight in non-critical areas. I don't see this one wearing out in 2 years...or 5 years, for that matter.

if you play a lot, carry more than 12 discs, and have some extra cash - the proper DG backpack is one of the best investments you can make.

it seems like everyone who has bought one (no matter what the brand) never really regret the purchase and wish they bought it sooner. I know I did.

i went the round about way and bought all the types of bags (starter bag/fade crunch/fade crunch with straps/smaller UPD backpack/grip C14/grip A14). I wish I could go back in time and tell the younger me just to go straight to the A14 when I knew I was addicted to this DG earlier :p

Yeah, it's an amazing difference when you switch over. I couldn't imagine wearing a regular bag with straps anymore.

it depends on your long term goals.

If you play a lot of tournaments or/and like to carry a lot of discs and other stuff, I would say yes.

I tried a Soldier bag for a while, but carrying 20 discs in a shoulder bag plus my accessories became annoying in both weight and having too many discs to choose from was actually hurting my game. I use my Soldier bag now as storage and a field work bag and would gladly sell it if offered.

I have since backed off to a Fade Crunch and am happy with it for what it brings to my style of play.

I have a friend who has a Grip bag and it is nice, just more than I want.

I'm glad I purchased mine. Allows me to keep everything handy (retriever, spray, rain jacket, snacks, etc), but where I really notice it is playing mutliple rounds in a day. The longer I play, the better it feels having the weight sit up higher, more between your shoulders. Not a big deal during my first round, but on road trips when I'm hitting 3 or 4 courses a day, and really want to enjoy playing them, it makes a difference.

Can't speak about durability of other back packs, but I don't baby my Grip, and it's help up quite well acroos all sorts of wet, rocky, snowy and muddy conditions. Love the luggae rails on the bottom... much better than any rubber feet.

My biggest complaint: I wish the side pockets ran the entire depth of the bag, and that there wasn't quite as much wasted space around the putter quiver - but I like being able to reach back behind my head, pull out my putter and buring short putts without having to remove my bag.

Last edited:
For that many discs I'd say a C15 or an UPD shift. Have a C14 and had a Shift. Like them both. If you don't plan on carrying more discs in the future they are excellent options. UPD Shift is less money and comes with the rainfall. 16 fit in the C14/15 and I've heard you can cram 17/18 in the shift. 16 is what UPD recommends.

They are excellent packs. They are pricey, but I think the higher end more expensive bags are overall worth it. Not just grips either, bags like the mahal, simian, ect are all expensive but fantastic products.

Grip charging for the rain fly separately is kind of annoying tho. That does irritate me.

I have a grip c14 and it is a phenominal bag. Lighter and more comfortable then any other similar sized bags available. The c15 is basically the same with a few very minor improvements.

My AX-15 came with a rainfly. Don't know if this is a new thing they have started or not. Also, if your like me and prone to temporary breaks with sanity, the grip is a lot harder to kick, lol. When I look down and am about to kick it, I stop and go kicking isn't covered by the warranty...

Last edited:
Hi Chris,
I don't have a Grip bag, though I believe them to be a quality product. I was (presumably) in the same boat as you and did not want to drop that kind of coin on a backpack bag. Once I started playing year round, and traveling to different areas to play, I wanted a bag that provided more storage space in one area. I chose the Flak bag for this reason.

During the winter, the consolidated storage compartment is nice because it could be in the 30s when you start an early round and in the high 50s by the time you finish in the Mid-west. The Flak has enough room up top for a heavy duty hoodie, gloves, and hat, not to mention the regular stuff (wallet, keys, phone, protein bars, bag tags, scorecard, pencil, etc.)

During the summer, it is nice to have that area for bug spray, extra water (or beers) and additional snacks, etc. Overall, I feel the Flak bag is an extremely well thought out design and would certainly buy another one if anything were to happen to mine. I also believe the construction is as good, or better than any other bag on the market. Hope this helps.

Looks like above posts covered about everything so I will just say I am a very happy owner of a couple Grip bags and have zero regret. Best of luck on your search.

The other thing I really like about the Flak is the disc dividers. If I'm headed to a field to practice drives, I can pack it full. If I am playing a casual or tournament round, I can put the dividers in and bring only the discs I need to save weight and make even more space for towels, etc.

I have the ranger bag by DD. My first impressions were great. It was my first backpack golf bag. Very comfortable.

The grip bag was a bit too pricey for me. But I think it looks really nice. The voodoo bags feldberg and wysocki use look sweet too.

If I had the cash I would probably by the smaller grip bag just because I think it would be a nice option for a backpack bag that is a bit smaller/lighter than my ranger.

Yes. Worth it. If you keep your eyes open you can find deals too, because they are pricey. I am loving my B15 -- 3 putters up top and 15-16 in the main. Comfortable and intuitive. Ergos are excellent quality and excellent customer service, but I sold mine. UPD Shift is another great bag for up to 16, but more gets unwieldy, so I sold mine (twice). The Shift is still, in my opinion, the best value for the money. I'm never giving up my Mahal, because I've never seen or touched a more versatile or higher quality bag.
But the Grip is fantastic. Light, comfortable, sturdy, clean looking, etc. You can't go wrong with any of these. Some offer more value than others.

I would recommend the Fossa Tana if you are wanting to avoid spending the money. It's a great quality bag. It rides great on your back, holds 24 drivers (or 18-20 mids/drivers/putters), it also has a shelf that holds up to 2 putters, and an outer putter pocket that holds up to 2 putters.

it's made of great material, and has storage up top compared to a ranger bag.
I ordered mine on a Thursday evening and got it in the mail Saturday morning. http://fossadiscgolf.com/product/tana-backpack-orangenavy/

I've got a few grip bags to my name. I've got an A-series, A14, and AX15. I originally battled with myself internally if it was worth the money, and this was when they were ~200 bucks, now they're close to 300.

In terms of quality, I've never had an issue with any of my Grips. Whereas I've had to have every Ranger I've owned (3) sent in for a warranty replacement.

For my A-series/A14, I have never had a thought of regret or buyers remorse since getting them. I will say I feel like there's more pro's and con's to consider when purchasing the AX15, and I don't know that I would have bought one if I hadn't won one in an raffle.

Personally...the increased cost coupled with the fact they've changed the material on the side pockets, kinda feels like you're paying a premium just for the expandable side pockets, that may not be worth it if you don't carry a ton of extra crap. On top of that, I think the original aesthetic of the grip was compromised in the AX15 and just doesn't look as clean as it did in the previous iterations.

That said, if you plan on getting an AX15 or B15, I would recommend the camo version, as the side pockets are still 1000d cordura on the camo versions. Personally, I prefer the A-series/A14 over the AX15, and you can probably get them at a much better price new or used off FB/marketplace than a new AX15 or B15.

Last edited:

Latest posts