• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Are some people just naturals at DG?

PCDG13

Par Member
A friend of mine and I both started playing about the same time (about a year ago). Neither of us have a baseball background or anything that would help us at DG, but we're both pretty active guys.

I'm the type of guy that if I play a sport I practice as much as I can because I want to improve, So I do field practice,putting practice, and play quite a few rounds a week. My friend on the other hand only plays like once or twice a week and does very little else other than a bit of putting practice.

I do lots of online research about technique and discs and try out lots of discs to see which works best for me for different shots and pretty much have it narrowed down but still try new stuff now and then. My friend only has a handful of discs and pretty much always drives with the same one.

I throw RHBH and have pretty decent accuracy and distance. My friend throws RHFH and tomahawks. He's really accurate with his tomahawks, and his FH's he get's almost as much distnace is me but he really airs them out and never really throws a low line drive type FH.

Not to talk down my buddy but I just think I should be beating him almost every time but it's probably about 50/50. Even on wooded courses that favour my style he finds ways to sneak through.

Is he just a natural?
Do I just suck?

Don't know if you suck but it might be that you are over thinking the whole thing. It sounds to me that your friend is just going with what feels right. You studying and working on all those details makes you think way too much about your game.

Clear your head and just throw. See how that works.

Yes, like anything else some people are more naturally inclined to be better at certain things. Flexibility, coordination, balance, hand-eye coordination...some people just have more of many of these qualities. Some you can train to improve, some you can't. I'm fortunate in that most sports or activities I pick up, I catch on pretty quickly... bowling, darts, baseball, disc golf. I think you can see it across all sports. Some pitchers can throw 100mph, some can't. Some guys run a 4.3 s 40 yard dash, some don't. You just may be one of the guys that has to work harder to make up that difference. It can be done, and it sounds like you're dedicated enough to do it.

Just don't despair on your even play with your buddy. Don't let it get in your head. Outwork him and see the dividends pay off over time.

Some people read about meditation, studying techniques and various schools of thought, paying gurus to give them a mantra and some people just meditate.

Natural talent is real, some people will never throw 500 feet no matter what they do. While others have the gift. Life sucks then you die.

Don't know if you suck but it might be that you are over thinking the whole thing. It sounds to me that your friend is just going with what feels right. You studying and working on all those details makes you think way too much about your game.

Clear your head and just throw. See how that works.

This.

Thats me, not to toot my own horn but I have been good at every sport I ever tried. Soccer and Baseball when I was younger til I got bored with them, Basket Ball my whole life til college, State for Tennis in high school a few years, Collegiate Volleyball player. Then when all those sports took their toll on my body, I found disc golf and picked it right up.

forehand and overhand drives dont take much skill to perform. i know a few hacks that get by like this. have him backhand one day and you sidearm and see what the scores are. bet you win by a landslide.

I can understand where you're coming from. I've been playing about as long as you, and like to practice as much as I can. I've seen a lot of improvement in my technique, distance, and putting, but don't feel like that has translated to better scores as much as I would like.

My theory is, I'm building a solid foundation for myself that will allow my game to better grow over the long term. I'm not aiming to go pro or anything, but I do find the practice/improvement side of disc golf to be part of the attraction; it's not a matter of taking it too seriously, just a matter of enjoying the sport how I like to enjoy it. So my thought is, you're hard work and knowledge will pay dividends at some point, even if it may be slow in coming. That's certainly what I'm banking on.

forehand and overhand drives dont take much skill to perform. i know a few hacks that get by like this. have him backhand one day and you sidearm and see what the scores are. bet you win by a landslide.

your anti-FH trolling is boring

we should meet on the course someday, i'll play all FH and spank your sorry troll ass

Have you never seen someone with some sort of natural ability? :rolleyes:
Some people just have a knack for music, math, science, business, art, language, even being an @sshole...but even gifted people have to develop those abilities to become truly great (and believe me, there are some wonderfully gifted a-holes out there that have honed their skills well over the years).

Disc golf is no different than anything else in that aspect.

Last edited:
It's also possible that as you continue to improve, he may have topped out.

Forehands and such are often used by newbies because they can throw farther sooner, but their "top end" is shorter.

And yes, he may just be naturally a bit better. Throw that in the mix, too.

Keep doing what you're doing.

I introduced a friend who's 6'4" and lanky to disc golf. We got to the 11th hole of the day, a 700' par four, and he reached way back and ripped the champ sidewinder i'd given him through his core. 2 years later i still have yet to get a drive on that hole that compares to the 460' bomb he threw his 1st time out.

Just like all sports some people are just more naturally more talented than others. I believe hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard. Your friend may have more natural ability than you but working to improve (as it sounds like your doing) will payoff in the long run. Its a marathon not a sprint, keep up the practice & research & you will get better than him I promise you that.

Is he naturally athletic and throws a Cheetah and Aviar? :|

You'll probably pass him when he blows his shoulder out from all the OH eventually. :\

I find it peculiar that the OP said nothing about his short game, and only briefly mentioned that his friend practiced putting occasionally. Hmm.

"Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard"

The first person that came to mind when I read this (since I'm old) was Pete Rose. They called him Charlie Hustle because he was all about doing everything he did all out.
It wasn't his talent, it was his constant hard work.

p.s. Congats on 2X, Paul! :clap: