• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Are Speed 7 Discs Necessary?

I guess it would be more accurate to say I'm concerned about rim width, not necessarily speed rating, because the width definitely does make a difference in terms of overall lateral movement if you compare discs with supposedly similar traits, ie PD vs TB, OLF vs EX.

I don't even know what speed my discs are anymore (nor do I care).

What's a Crave [speed number]? Oh, wait, doesn't matter. It feels great and flies well.

I just got a Giant and it feels great as well but I haven't thrown it yet...it says 13 on the stamp but is that the Innova 13 or the discnation 13? Or Marshallstreetflightchart 13? Or is it "really" an 11 but European discs like to jack up numbers?

:sigh:

I don't even know what speed my discs are anymore (nor do I care).

What's a Crave [speed number]? Oh, wait, doesn't matter. It feels great and flies well.

I just got a Giant and it feels great as well but I haven't thrown it yet...it says 13 on the stamp but is that the Innova 13 or the discnation 13? Or Marshallstreetflightchart 13? Or is it "really" an 11 but European discs like to jack up numbers?

:sigh:

Yeah I like how you put it and I agree. European companies jacking up the numbers. Like the new "speed 15" misselin.

I bet this 9 speed fairways theory takes off. but pros put hours of field work in and putt like machines.

I would rather have the control of the leopards and teebirds so my putts are shorter or that i'm still in the fairway. that being said i went from teebirds to strikers and i actually would buzzz by baskets on perfect shots and be ob or 45ft past. not cool when you walk up and realize too much distance.

i def know when to disc up with teebirds, while testing the PD i find it great just don't know the disc yet.

It all comes down to personal preference. I know a guy who practically doesn't use any mids or really fairway discs for that matter minus his one TL. He uses his zone for anything not a drive off of the Tee. For me, I like to have a couple drivers, a couple fairway, a couple mids, a couple putters. We both go back and forth when we play. Something I've learned and took me awhile to learn. There is no one right way to do something in disc golf. Just truthfully do what is optimizing your skill set and capabilities the most. It sounds like you've got it, so don't change it.

Wow this is a great thread.

After putters, I feel like fairway drivers (speed 6 to 8) are the most important discs in my bag. I get Patriots and Rivals out to about 330'. I only carry two discs that are faster than 8, a Firebird (which doesn't really count as a high speed driver IMO), and a Champ Tern. On windy days, I'll throw in a PD.

In general, I'm happy to give up distance for accuracy. It's hard to make big mistakes with speed 7 drivers.

Same here, right from mids to Firebird. My big sausage fingers are too fat for speed 7. I have tried Teebirds and other fairways and seem to flip them all over. The only S7 disc I like these days is a XXX and my Firebird & Buzzz OS have forced the XXX out of my bag.

I have been throwing the Buzzz O/S for about a month now. I can say without a doubt the Buzzz O/S is more stable than a Roc3. In stabality order, I now have a Ti Buzzz, Roc3 and Buzzz o/s (all 180) in my bag.

For my less stable mid I am back to a Stingray or 2 for woods courses. I carry 1 d/x and 1 star. both 180. I also carry a Skeeter or 2 and my medium Pure putter.

I am more than happy with my mids & putter now.

In general, I'm happy to give up distance for accuracy. It's hard to make big mistakes with speed 7 drivers.

I throws Eagles and QJs, mainly for accuracy, but keep a couple QOLFs on the bench for those longer wide open hole courses. There are probably less than 10 par 4 holes on ALL the courses I play around Memphis. Anyway, even when the QOLFs are in the bag they don't get pulled as I'll jump to Orc for longer hyzers short of 400'.

If course designers stop making par 3s less than 350' I could see speed 9 sales skyrocket even higher. The new mfgs like Legacy, Prodigy and Lat went 8-9 speed due in part to faster mids. He ain't making more woods nowadays where slower speed accuracy is at a premium so its only a matter of time til shorter wooded courses are gonna max out in urban areas and the new kids will need all the help they can get to birdie those converted ball golf course par 5s;)

Latest posts