• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Are Speed 7 Discs Necessary?

NSDallin

Birdie Member
from most understable to most stable, I use a TD, 3 cycled PD's, and a Firebird to cover all my fairway shots.All in star plastic. my bag goes straight from my buzzes to my speed 9's. I dont carry any speed 7 discs. Does anyone else do this? I use my speed 9's for the same shots that someone would use a speed 7. Am i sacrificing strokes by doing this?

If it works for you, that is all that matters.

That being said, there are some absolutely phenomenal speed 7 discs.

from most understable to most stable, I use a TD, 3 cycled PD's, and a Firebird to cover all my fairway shots.All in star plastic. my bag goes straight from my buzzes to my speed 9's. I dont carry any speed 7 discs. Does anyone else do this? Im a sidearm players and i like the feel of a speed 9 driver in my grip VS a speed 7. I use my speed 9's for the same shots that someone would use a speed 7. Am i sacrificing strokes by doing this?

For a sidearm player no, you aren't wasting strokes. However speed 7 discs are essential for one thing for a backhand player and that is precision and accuracy not necessarily for distance. For some their mids are fast enough to replace their speed 7 drivers ( Mcbeth and the roc3). But whether mid or fairway for a backhand player this speed is key for accuracy.

What distances are you getting out of said discs? There's about a 50' gap between my speed 7's and speed 10's, and a 30' gap between my mids and speed 7's.

From speed 7 on down, I carry 2-3 of each speed except putters.

I can go skinny on the long range stuff but speeds 3-7 are my bread and butter.

What distances are you getting out of said discs? There's about a 50' gap between my speed 7's and speed 10's, and a 30' gap between my mids and speed 7's.

My speed 9's max out around 350-375 on a control line, but i can comfortably power them down to 200 ft. My destroyers max out around 440, average control line is right about 400. I throw all RHFH.

I can get my buzzes and zone out to 300-325 max distance, 250-275 on a control line

Love my speed 7s for drives in the woods - FDs and Rivers. Good distance but more control than longer longer drivers for me.

I think it'll largely depend on your game and style of play. For me, speed 7's and 10's fulfill a distinctively different distance range. On the flip side, I've seen ppl throw drivers on shots that I wouldn't dare throw anything over a mid on, but still make it work.

It really depends on your arm, and where you play. I only bag one speed 7 disc, and that is the Resistor. If I played in the woods, you can bet I'd also bag an Inspire and Clash.

The funny thing is that everyone mentions how speed 7's are better suited for woods play than a speed 9. I learned to play on woodsy courses with speed 9's and now i live in a place that has a ton of wide open golf holes. Its hard to not throw on a rope line even if a big hyzer is available due to my habits of playing in the woods with a constant low ceiling.

yep, because max potential lateral movement seems to be closely correlated to rim width. and sometimes you just can't afford that much lateral movement.

it's why the teebird is so awesome. it flies pretty damn far once you beat it up but it's still speed 7.

yep, because max potential lateral movement seems to be closely correlated to rim width. and sometimes you just can't afford that much lateral movement.

it's why the teebird is so awesome. it flies pretty damn far once you beat it up but it's still speed 7.

exactly why i thow Pd's. As they beat in they just get straighter and farther with the slight fade at the end. They never get flippy. Hence why i have to put the TD in the bag for turning shots that even my most understable PD cant do on an anny line.

Teebirds, Eagles, Patriots, Clashes, Craves, Inspires, Resistors, Traks, etc?

I carry more speed 7 than any other class. And I'd be lost without them.

The Firebird is my only 9, and it's mostly for creative/utility shots. Then its straight to 11s and 12s. A few putters and some Rocs (speed 4 and 5) round it out, but the heart of my game is in the speed 7 slots.

Of course, I'm not very good at disc golf. But still...

The funny thing is that everyone mentions how speed 7's are better suited for woods play than a speed 9. I learned to play on woodsy courses with speed 9's and now i live in a place that has a ton of wide open golf holes. Its hard to not throw on a rope line even if a big hyzer is available due to my habits of playing in the woods with a constant low ceiling.

Sounds about as much fun two portable baskets on a football field and playing back and forth between them.

Sounds about as much fun two portable baskets on a football field and playing back and forth between them.

Pretty much.. Going from washington disc golf to arizona disc golf has been a rough transition. At least till i find the tougher courses around here.

Completely unnecessary. Send those awful things to me for proper disposal:

Brother Dave
1234 Fart Factory Rd
Duck, NC 27949

I have been back and forth, but use them now. I have a bit more control with speed 7s, especially when tighter lines are required.
I may even put some speed 9s in as well...more distance and better control than the wide rim stuff.

I have been back and forth, but use them now. I have a bit more control with speed 7s, especially when tighter lines are required.
I may even put some speed 9s in as well...more distance and better control than the wide rim stuff.

after constantly hearing about how speed 7's run on a tighter line than speed 9's, im gonna invest in a star teebird to pair with my star eagle i already have. Bag them both and see if they add any benefit to my bag.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I'm a fairway fiend. I never got into the speed 9's bc they always took too much pop to get moving.
The speed 7 class are perfect for me bc i feel like they take about as much power to get moving as my rocs but they fly much better on lower lines. They also exhibit the ability to be bent on a line. I can force my teebird onto whatever line I want and have it always do what I want. A PD will do similar but not at as low of a speed. All in all....I LOVE my speed 7 fairways. Teebird, Crave, Resistor, Clash...$$$

For a sidearm player no, you aren't wasting strokes. However speed 7 discs are essential for one thing for a backhand player and that is precision and accuracy not necessarily for distance. For some their mids are fast enough to replace their speed 7 drivers ( Mcbeth and the roc3). But whether mid or fairway for a backhand player this speed is key for accuracy.

I agree with the first part and disagree with the second part.

For backhand, speed 7 (traditional fairway drivers) fit a sweet spot for my power on moderately long holes. Forehand, speed 9 are the other sweet spot for this same distance. If I flip them over it's bad form; not that I'm throwing them harder/faster than intended.

McBeth definitely still throws Teebirds. He just throws midranges on holes that average players (let's call them intermediate) throw fairway and distance drivers. If he's throwing a Teebird, I'm throwing a distance driver at full power and still probably coming up short.

Latest posts