• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Are Whiskers Here to Stay

I completely disagree, there's not a real debate about the necessity of measuring and tracking stats.

Look at sports that don't use objective stats (gymnastics, X-games competitions, etc.) - they're hard to follow outside of the niche market.

If mass appeal is the objective (which I believe is the debatable point you're looking for), stats are 100% necessary. If you don't want mass appeal, or don't believe we should be striving for that...the argument against them becomes contextualized and I see where you're coming from.

...but mass appeal is the objective for both DGPT and DGWT, so that's kind of an irrelevant debate itself.

Seems like disc golf has done an awful lot of growing before Udisc and such came along and the only stats that were tracked was the strokes on the scorecard. :\ Only disc golf nerds (which is the vast majority of disc golf viewers already) are ever going to care about random circle stats.

Love stats gives a great view onto how a players doing for the season vs wins. Wish as a group ie DGWT DGPT and so on would settle on one stat style. (personally like DGPT over DGWT) Don't think it would be too hard to work together on that.

Back on track. As for the Whiskers, I could live without them. Painted lines on the ground is little less distracting then flags and whiskers. Now if you want to use them for ob lines. By all means go ahead

I completely disagree, there's not a real debate about the necessity of measuring and tracking stats.

Look at sports that don't use objective stats (gymnastics, X-games competitions, etc.) - they're hard to follow outside of the niche market.

If mass appeal is the objective (which I believe is the debatable point you're looking for), stats are 100% necessary. If you don't want mass appeal, or don't believe we should be striving for that...the argument against them becomes contextualized and I see where you're coming from.

...but mass appeal is the objective for both DGPT and DGWT, so that's kind of an irrelevant debate itself.

You would know better than I but it strikes me that the "niche" appeal of both gymnastics and x-games competitions is light years beyond any level the DGPT or DGWT can objectively seek at this point.

In golf there are only a couple of stats anyone cares about and those are cared about primarily by golf nerds- greens in regulation, driving distance, etc. - the vast majority of folks (like me) who tune in a few times a year (generally to the majors) could not care less about them, they just want to see drama unfold.

Come on biscoe.. Obviously we dont have the esoteric stats grow the audience mind like JT.

SPORTS SPORTS SPORTS! eh' stats are fine but I think they often are over analyzed without real world results.

Tons of hyped pro players based on stats which just sucked it up once big time. Stats can always make xyz look better or worse vs just seeing the damn play.

Also tracking of many stats at a high level becomes a huge undertaking of work and not a needed focus of DG at this time.

There are certain stats in sports that instantly tell you how well (or poorly) a player is performing. ERA in baseball. Quarterback rating. Save % for a goalie. For us, it's putting. The stats on both the circle, and circle 2, give a snapshot of the tourney overall. And IMO, this info can't be downplayed, or dismissed as hype. And like it or not, it's where we're going as a sport. So buckle up, and enjoy the ride.

Seems like disc golf has done an awful lot of growing before Udisc and such came along and the only stats that were tracked was the strokes on the scorecard. :\ Only disc golf nerds (which is the vast majority of disc golf viewers already) are ever going to care about random circle stats.

I agree with what I think is your sentiment (and Biscoe's) that we haven't perfected our stats yet, and I think we're a little awkward with it right now (I think both stats systems are a little overthought personally).

However, I disagree that disc golf nerds are the only people that will find stats useful. I also don't abide by the mentality "well it's the way we've always done it (scores only), so we should keep doing it that way." If there is an opportunity to improve something, why not improve it? You can still ignore the stats all you like, it takes nothing away from you, but most people enjoy stats and are happy to have them.

You would know better than I but it strikes me that the "niche" appeal of both gymnastics and x-games competitions is light years beyond any level the DGPT or DGWT can objectively seek at this point.

In golf there are only a couple of stats anyone cares about and those are cared about primarily by golf nerds- greens in regulation, driving distance, etc. - the vast majority of folks (like me) who tune in a few times a year (generally to the majors) could not care less about them, they just want to see drama unfold.

Your point about X-games and gymnastics is well met. I think their popularity is similar in the sense that it isn't a "tour" but culminates around a big event (I feel like now that the X-games does that tour model it's less in the mainstream consciousness, compared to when it was a big event every July or so). So it may not be the best example, many lurking variables.

I will say to your point about stats only appealing to nerds is - remember from your perspective as a well-informed, experienced player - you understand the game. You can inherently look at a disc even in the air and start to think "oh that's bad" or "ACE RUN ACE RUN!"

New viewers can't see that until they gain that experience. So my goal with the analytical side of stats tracking is to translate that in the moment, so they can shortcut the learning curve to feel those same emotions as the experienced viewers. Maybe someone doesn't understand that Wysocki is far above the norm in putting from 50-70', and if they only see a few rounds a year where he's constantly doing that, they get the wrong impression...and they think everyone else sucks and Ricky is just doing an everyman's job on the course.

I believe cluing those people in to that emotional ebb and flow, the big moments, the letdowns, etc. can be significantly improved by strategic use of statistics in productions both live and edited.

...but yeah, the stats nerds will always love the numbers MORE. Baseball has proven that handily!

Latest posts