• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Are Whiskers Here to Stay

I hope so. I plan on putting them on my local course but am waiting to see who else uses them and how well they hold up before I drop a load of cash on them.

I hope so. I plan on putting them on my local course but am waiting to see who else uses them and how well they hold up before I drop a load of cash on them.

Frontier Park had multiple pin locations with each putting circle marked in different colors. I thought it looked real professional. Moreover at first glance the whiskers look like they will last for years.

Please god, no.

There has to be a better way to mark these without making the course look like a Nickalodeon gameshow.

Okay double mini-Dave and your shenanigans..

These are cool. Great addition, I've never seen locally however. Just spray paint for weeklys, but that only lasts till the next mow.

Good idea but is it worth the time of putting them in and pulling them out each time. One of the courses I've played had placed 4 red brick pavers at 10m in the ground at N,S,E,W. While the initial cost will be higher this type of idea I think makes a lot of sense.

Sent from my Alcatel_6055U using Tapatalk

I think I'm going to order a pack of 100 of these to mark OB on our local courses.

I would think putting in the whiskers would discourage multi pin positions and movement? Re-whiskering each move? A couple or more idle whiskered circles on a hole might look awful. A course with one set of whiskers might be more likely to leave the basket in whisker position more often.
Might just be me, but a couple courses I play on regularly I'm bummed if the baskets don't shuffle every couple weeks. I would not want anything that would discourage using multiple pin positions.

Has anyone burned a circle in?
I don't think this is the best alternative. Grass is good under a basket, prevent skips, stop from being a mud pit etc.
I would think putting in the whiskers would discourage multi pin positions and movement? Re-whiskering each move? A couple or more idle whiskered circles on a hole might look awful. A course with one set of whiskers might be more likely to leave the basket in whisker position more often.
Might just be me, but a couple courses I play on regularly I'm bummed if the baskets don't shuffle every couple weeks. I would not want anything that would discourage using multiple pin positions.
I think every couple weeks is too often. If you're playing everyday I could see wanting that. But it you have newer people at your course or you want to practice layouts I think a while longer is better. Plus it's allot of work, you ever move 18 baskets? Just getting the locks undone at times can be a chore...

I've used whiskers to mark the front of tees in a local park with natural teepads. Unfortunately the local kids can't resist pulling them up and throwing them around. Driving the head of the nail well below top of ground makes it harder to pull them up, but where there's a will...

I like the whiskers for making drop zones or some ob areas, but putting circles I'm not sure how I feel. I just picture them affecting the skip, slide or roll of a disc

I first saw the whiskers at Frontier DG Park in Hays, Ks last week. I am guessing the disc golf club installed them for their annual tournament which took place about 6 weeks ago. It appears they bored a small hole about an inch deep into the ground before installing each whisker. They placed a whisker about every 4 feet around on the 10 meter circle. Moreover Frontier DG park has multiple pin locations in which they installed different colors for the different pin locations. After 6 weeks the whiskers still appear as if they had just been installed. I thought it looked real professional and i can't imagine they will have to do any maintenance on the whiskers for at least a year.

I think every couple weeks is too often. If you're playing everyday I could see wanting that. ..... Plus it's allot of work
I am so spoiled! Locally a hard hitter moves them regular at the two busier well established courses of Ewing and Grandview in Des Moines. I go to Wildcat in Urbana, Iowa at least once a month and where pin position moving is a fetish with several crew.
... They placed a whisker about every 4 feet around on the 10 meter circle. Moreover Frontier DG park has multiple pin locations in which they installed different colors for the different pin locations. After 6 weeks the whiskers still appear as if they had just been installed. I thought it looked real professional ..
OK, I can see this picture a little better of an application of that. Every 4 feet doesn't sound too terrible. ... kinda. maybe it just doesn't sound pretty to me for every day use.
As a marker for big hazards (cliff!) or trails it sounds pretty good though.

Huh----I saw some trees 30' tall that looked just like that in the Willamette valley last week. Nearly that red too.