• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ask Gateway!

played a round in the rain yesterday and have to say the grip on the opaque hpp plastic out performed my other high end discs. gripped like pro or x plastic. shot 1 off my best round on the course.

I bought a Samurai recently and have been really impressed with it in field sessions. I throw light weight (168,169) champ or Pro Destroyers between 4oo' and 425'. Yesterday I threw an 174 E Samurai a few times in a 395' field that has a fence at the both ends and I was hitting the fence at about 6' high with good speed left on it.
I have 2 questions:
Mine has a dome that is slightly poppy, is this how these are molding up for the most part?
My Samurai is white Evolution that is really stiff but has nice grip, is this the Evolution plastic that all of these are made out of?

I would love to see a Spirit and an Illusion with the same top as the Samurai.

Gateway buys plastic cheap so it is often overstock small batches from other manufacturers so what you have now might not be reproduced ever. Other manufacturers are often at the mercy of plastic suppliers too. Star has been made in dozens if not hundreds of blends now.

That's kind of what I was thinking, back when I first started throwing wizards I would buy multiples when they had a run of plastic I really liked. If I decide to put this Samurai in my bag I will pick up a few more from the same guy and have him check to see if they look/ feel the same.

I'm still loving the first Samurai I got, It goes a little farther than my broken in champ Destroyer and has a tight flight with a little turn and a little fade. I picked up a couple Slayers online recently and they pretty much suck, they are super flat with flight plates that are almost sunken in. Both of these Slayers are really understable at speed, I can get off some pretty big throws with the Slayer but I also get a lot of drives that turn and burn. I think a Slayer with a dome would be a really good stable distance driver but I don't think I feel like looking around for them. I know, I know, imagine Gateway high speed drivers that are all over the place based on poor molding.

IDK what you mean by poor molding but with their plastic source variations it is more likely an issue of not finding or taking the time to find the optimal set of adjustments for the machines. I threw early Slayers a couple of time and those had dome and they flew well very well for a fast Gateway disc. If you deem your Slayers useless i'd boil water and turn the disc upside down and with waterproof gloves in the hand hold the disc in one hand and pour the water inside the disc and letting the dome change while constantly watching it to avoid overly large variations. Your discs sound like a mistake or getting damage during the flight here. Discs can get stuck to each other and the flight plates can be sucked to concave. That can change the height of the outside of the disc too. So you may need to bend the outside edge back up if the addition of the dome won't make the disc straight enough. The Slayers turn easily but not terribly much so they make a moderately large s-curve at high power and a fairly tight curve with say 330'-350' power. Of course modding the disc back to factory spec is technically going to make the disc illegal in competition but who else would know that the disc has been modded if it is shaped and flying the same as the good ones? That's the technical side i leave you with the moral decisions. They are not my discs and i don't think anyone would gain such an unfair advantage these days competing against me that i'd mind because there are so many great discs out there that i don't feel i'm giving an edge to anyone. Even if they modded a good factory spec disc to a better one not matched by anything else on the market. That was an issue in the past not really any more with so many different kind of discs out there.

chainsmoker said:
I'm still loving the first Samurai I got, It goes a little farther than my broken in champ Destroyer and has a tight flight with a little turn and a little fade. I picked up a couple Slayers online recently and they pretty much suck, they are super flat with flight plates that are almost sunken in. Both of these Slayers are really understable at speed, I can get off some pretty big throws with the Slayer but I also get a lot of drives that turn and burn. I think a Slayer with a dome would be a really good stable distance driver but I don't think I feel like looking around for them. I know, I know, imagine Gateway high speed drivers that are all over the place based on poor molding.
FWIW I'm still liking the Samurai and I put 2 in the bag to replace my Pro Destroyers I use for long distance shots. I have three Evolution Samurais that have large poppy domes and weigh 175 grams. I always deflash my discs but with Samurais and Slayers it is more important because I've found it makes them more stable. The flashing is in a different area than it is on most discs and it's kind of hard to remove but I used a fresh single edge razor blade and took my time.
I picked up a Slayer on this forum that had a slight dome and for me it flies about like a longer sesoned Spirit. I think this Slayer is what they are supposed to fly like, the first two had sunken in flight plates and really looked like they should have been X-outs. Gateway needs to put those little white stickers on their discs.

I still have my proto E-Samurai in the bag and it is great for long turn overs and rollers. I just recently got a couple of poppy top E-Samurai's that are a little more stable than my proto was, but it is a nice compliment to my proto. I also have a poppy top Slayer as my overstable compliment to the poppy top Samurai. Also, if anybody out there are fans of the Slayer, find yourself some of the recent run semi-translucent E-slayers. They are the shiznit.

Also, while I am talking about gateway molds, the new Pearly Karmas and E-Mystics are the bomb as well. The flight of the E-Mystic is fairly similar to a Z-Buzzz SS in my opinion. Very straight with minimal fade.

BLURR said:
I still have my proto E-Samurai in the bag and it is great for long turn overs and rollers. I just recently got a couple of poppy top E-Samurai's that are a little more stable than my proto was, but it is a nice compliment to my proto. I also have a poppy top Slayer as my overstable compliment to the poppy top Samurai. Also, if anybody out there are fans of the Slayer, find yourself some of the recent run semi-translucent E-slayers. They are the shiznit.

Also, while I am talking about gateway molds, the new Pearly Karmas and E-Mystics are the bomb as well. The flight of the E-Mystic is fairly similar to a Z-Buzzz SS in my opinion. Very straight with minimal fade.

are these mystics you speak of flat or domey? i picked up one of the flat white e karmas that has a bit of pearl along the rim and it's nice and straight with a bit of fade at the end. i think it flies a lot like a beefy buzzz. isn't the karma supposed to be a rebadged element-x?

dehaas said:
are these mystics you speak of flat or domey? i picked up one of the flat white e karmas that has a bit of pearl along the rim and it's nice and straight with a bit of fade at the end. i think it flies a lot like a beefy buzzz. isn't the karma supposed to be a rebadged element-x?

It is a flat e-mystic. I have a domey e-mystic as well. It is noticeable more overstable...kind of wasp'ish. And from the looks of the karma, I would call it a rebadged ELX. The pearly one's are little beefier IMO than the regular "e" plastic.

JR said:
Gateway buys plastic cheap so it is often overstock small batches from other manufacturers so what you have now might not be reproduced ever...

That's not what Dave M says, he claims to spend more on plastic per disc than anyone else...BTW, where is Dave? I thought the name of this thread was "Ask Gateway!"

I haven't heard anything of Dave on any of the boards, he's on the Gateway facebook page sometimes. FWIW some of the best plastic I have ever felt has been Gateway but it seems to be in small runs.

For you Gateway throwers out there. These might be the best distance driver Gateway has ever produced. If you can track any of these down, I highly recommend picking one up. I asked Double D @ the GDS shop about this plastic mix and he said that it was a limited batch. I have already stockpiled a few of these bad boys for myself. I am begging and pleading with DaveMac to make this the plastic mix their defacto E/HPP mix, as it is the bomb. Would love to see a Samurai in this mix.

I've been throwing a green one like you have in the picture and it's been pretty good, it weighs 175 and has a slight dome.
( I didn't like the really flat ones)When I throw it hard and flat it has a slight turn and a moderate fade. I do really like the feel of the plastic, it's stiff with some grip. My distance driver of choice has been pro Destroyers and both the Samurai and Slayer are slightly longer with the Samurai having about the same flight path of the pro Destroyer and the Slayer being more HSS.

Latest posts