• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ask John Houck about Course Design & Development

Wish I did, Richard. If I have anything, it's in a box somewhere -- maybe some day,

We do need to get those up on the internet one of these days. I do know where those boxes are -- just need to go through them. Glad they're helpful for you.

Any chance you've been bored recently and looked through that box ;)

to save John doing that does anyone know if there is an online repository anywhere of back copies of the articles? Grodney you've got stuff back from before the dawn of time (internet ;) ) any chance you've got some of Johns old design articles kicking around?

to save John doing that does anyone know if there is an online repository anywhere of back copies of the articles? Grodney you've got stuff back from before the dawn of time (internet ;) ) any chance you've got some of Johns old design articles kicking around?

I'll ponder that some more, but off the top of my head....no. I have several paper articles in old mags (not organized), and John has sent me the occasional electronic copy (probably not on my current computers), but that's about it I think. Sorry.

I just finished up playing the first 13 at Strawn Park and then walked the rest as it is still need of a good deal of cleanup before its playable but wow. That is gonna be an amazing course when finished. Quite the work out and thoroughly entertaining.

The amount of work done the last few weeks is amazing. What they got done YESTERDAY was amazing. Grand Opening is tomorrow.

Amazing work gong on in Live Oak, Texas, too. The Lake Course opens this weekend. Exciting times!

Hi John
I played Hobbs Farm recently and first and foremost have to give thanks for another great course. I found one thing strange in that hole 1 is outside the park. I wonder why hole 16 is not hole 1 with hole 15 being the last hole.

There seems to be sufficient parking and a rest room in the area of hole 16. Anyone who has played with a wife or girlfriend knows the first thing needed for the ladies is a rest room upon arrival at a course.

We did not want to impose and go in the church to look for a rest room. Also a re-number may stop any potential conflict with the church before it may happen. Most d-golfers I know are respectful on private property but I have also seen the exception.

Rodney,

Had a great Grand Opening of the Hobbs Farm course in Carrollton, GA this weekend. Also did some final-stage work on Strawn Park in Columbia, Missouri, designed a little 9-holer in Iowa, and scoped out some locations for future courses. Been all over the last 2 1/2 weeks -- looking forward to getting back to Austin soon.
Thanks.

Cool! Where's the Iowa course going to be?

The amount of work done the last few weeks is amazing. What they got done YESTERDAY was amazing. Grand Opening is tomorrow.

Amazing work gong on in Live Oak, Texas, too. The Lake Course opens this weekend. Exciting times!

John, Harmony bends is an amazing course. It's really a dream come true in Columbia for those of us that have been playing for a while. A true championship level course in my opinion. Once everything settles in after this weekend (and we get grass growing again after all the hard work) it's going to be the most beautiful course in the midwest!

Hi John
I played Hobbs Farm recently and first and foremost have to give thanks for another great course. I found one thing strange in that hole 1 is outside the park. I wonder why hole 16 is not hole 1 with hole 15 being the last hole.

There seems to be sufficient parking and a rest room in the area of hole 16. Anyone who has played with a wife or girlfriend knows the first thing needed for the ladies is a rest room upon arrival at a course.

We did not want to impose and go in the church to look for a rest room. Also a re-number may stop any potential conflict with the church before it may happen. Most d-golfers I know are respectful on private property but I have also seen the exception.

Peter, so glad to hear you enjoyed the course.

As for parking, the parks department and local club felt like the bottom parking lot was already full at times, and that it made more sense for disc golfers to have their own parking area. The church generously offered the use of their lot and a little of their land, so that was the overwhelming reason for that choice.

Second reason was that the current location of Hole #1 offers a much more open and scenic start to the course -- I always like to go a little easier on players on Hole #1 when possible.

Third, starting with #16 and #17 means starting with two fairly tight and short righty hyzers and finishing on #15. Those are all good holes, but I think starting on #1 and #2 and finishing on #18 is makes the course stronger.

So we're not inclined to re-number for all those reasons, but of course if you ever want to park down below on start on #16, you can absolutely do so. For that matter, you could start on #9, too.

Hope all that makes sense. Thanks for the question.

Cool! Where's the Iowa course going to be?

Nice little town called Zearing with a couple pretty parks. To be more accurate, Zearing will have a 6-hole course in one park and a 3-holer a few blacks away.

Hope to be hearing from them soon on an installation date.

Thanks.

John, Harmony bends is an amazing course. It's really a dream come true in Columbia for those of us that have been playing for a while. A true championship level course in my opinion. Once everything settles in after this weekend (and we get grass growing again after all the hard work) it's going to be the most beautiful course in the midwest!

Thanks, Brandon. I have to say, I was stunned by how beautiful it looked, and it got more so every hour the crews were working on it. I agree with you that once the grass grows back in and a few other areas get cleaned up, it's going to be just incredible.

Hope you continue to enjoy it.

I did play Hobbs on a weekday so I did not see the park on a busy weekend. I hope the relationship with the church stays strong. It was so nice of them to allow the use of their space. If I have the honor to make it back there I will use a rest room along the way and continue to park by hole 1. I liked it as a lefty :hfive:

Played Hobbs over the weekend. Great course. As long as there are bathrooms I don't really care where they are located. In my review I called it the best overall course of the 109 I've played.

Mr Houck,

I'm curious if you have ever had to deal with complaints from residents that live bordering a DG course. Maybe they have a big house with really nice backyard and they have complained about a disc golf hole that is near the backyard, even though it's on public park property. Do you have any suggestions with how to be proactive in dealing with these issues, or ways to add trees or shrubs to create a visual barrier? Thanks!

My thought (on being proactive) is before the baskets are installed - let the residents know what is coming and give them all of the information about the sport so they are not surprised by it.

Hi, everybody.

We will be hosting our ABCD (The Art and Business of Course Design) workshop on Saturday, August 12, 2017 in Lake Tahoe. If anyone is interested in attending, please email us for details: contact@houckdesign.

I know it's short notice, but we'd love to see you there. We are discounting this one from $295 to $225 to make it more attractive. The workshop will run from 8:00 am until 6:30 pm.

We've had a great response from people who have attended these workshops in other parts of the country. You can read the topics and see testimonials at http://www.houckdesign.com/HDW_IDGC_02-2016.php

Hi, everybody.

We will be hosting our ABCD (The Art and Business of Course Design) workshop on Saturday, August 12, 2017 in Lake Tahoe. If anyone is interested in attending, please email us for details: contact@houckdesign.

I know it's short notice, but we'd love to see you there. We are discounting this one from $295 to $225 to make it more attractive. The workshop will run from 8:00 am until 6:30 pm.

We've had a great response from people who have attended these workshops in other parts of the country. You can read the topics and see testimonials at http://www.houckdesign.com/HDW_IDGC_02-2016.php
Are DVD's or videos from some of these workshops available?

Are DVD's or videos from some of these workshops available?

No, Dwayne, there are none at this point. While there is a lot of teaching during the workshop, the majority of the time is actually spent in exercises and presentations where the participants work together to find creative solutions to a variety of challenges and then show the group what they've come up with. At some point, we may make videos of some parts of the "lecture" portions, but you really need to be there to get the whole experience. Hope you'll get to join us at one someday.

Here's the latest info on next week:

http://houckdesign.com/HDW_SouthLakeTahoe_08-2017.php

Thanks for replying.

Thanks even more for your courses and perhaps most importantly, sharing your knowledge and perspective on course & hole design with others!

John, what are your thoughts about leaving numerous small trees in the middle of the fairway right before the basket on holes that are 320' plus? Particularly cases where the trees are within 5' of the basket or not visible from the tee.

John, what are your thoughts about leaving numerous small trees in the middle of the fairway right before the basket on holes that are 320' plus? Particularly cases where the trees are within 5' of the basket or not visible from the tee.

Enos, I'm on the record as being very opposed to small trees as obstacles any time, unless they're working with other trees to create wider obstacles. (In other words, if they're placed right, 4-5 small trees can function the same as one big tree would.) The reason is that thin obstacles add to randomness, and two virtually identical shots can have very different outcomes. Plus the fact that a bad shot can miss the skinny obstacles and get rewarded.

Now you're adding 3 more potential design issues:

1. Being 300'+ from the tee. Anything closer to the basket requires greater skill to avoid off the tee -- obviously an obstacle 100' away is easier to avoid than the same obstacle would be 300' away. At some point it becomes more about luck than skill. You can certainly have a tree 300' from the tee, but you need to make sure it's fair.

2. Being 5' from the basket. I know a lot of people think you should never have a tree inside the circle, but I don't subscribe to that edict. I don't believe I've ever put a basket 5' from a tree, but I believe there are ways to do it and be fair. In addition to random results, my concern is always that anything near the basket can stop a bad shot and reward it with a short putt.

3. Being invisible from the tee. That just adds an additional layer of responsibility on the designer to keep it fair.

Bottom line for me is to keep it fair, reduce randomness, and reward good shots (and not bad shots) as much as possible. Here's one yardstick I find helpful: if it leaves your hand and you really feel like it's a good shot, but you have to hold your breath to find out what happens, it's probably not a great hole.

Hope that helps a little.

Latest posts