• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] Attn Lat 64 lovers (opinion thread)

Maybe not the best Lat intro...but it depends on your arm.
It is a great wind fighter but it is slow, has low glide, and a really hard fade. So it takes a lot of horsepower to get any distance with it.

really? I was told its kind of like a more over stable banshee...

what am i missing? I just want a over stable fairway driver that i know wont turn over in strong head winds.

Trident would be a fine choice for headwind drives. But if you have the arm for the Trident, why not go with a XXX or Blitz for your headwind slot. They are both very much overstable, and both are faster than the Trident. Don't get me wrong. I wont be getting rid of my Trident any time soon. But it just wont reach as far as the XXX and Blitz.

Honestly i decided to go with the trident because I recently decided to "disc down" so I figured a over stable fairway would be good for me. Lately I have been throwing a champ teebird with hyzer in headwinds, but there are some days with gusts over 30 mph that can flip it.

All I have been throwing the last few months has been putters, mids, and teebirds.

Currently throwing the teebirds 300' which is 50' farther than I was throwing them this time last year, and only 20' shorter than I was throwing my high speed discs.

I'm getting 260' to 275' with my buzzz and even though I don't often throw putters from the tee, I can usually get them out to 230' -240' when I'm practicing in a field.

Last edited:
Honestly i decided to go with the trident because I recently decided to "disc down" so I figured a over stable fairway would be good for me. Lately I have been throwing a champ teebird with hyzer in headwinds, but there are some days with gusts over 30 mph that can flip it.

All I have been throwing the last few months has been putters, mids, and teebirds.

Currently throwing the teebirds 300' which is 50' farther than I was throwing them this time last year, and only 20' shorter than I was throwing my high speed discs.

I'm getting 260' to 275' with my buzzz and even though I don't often throw putters from the tee, I can usually get them out to 230' -240' when I'm practicing in a field.

Good stuff! Best of luck to the improvement of your game. The Trident will handle any headwind you throw it into and still finish left (RHBH)

Both Opto and Gold line are great for grip. The Gold Line beats in a bit faster than the Opto. I carry an Opto and Gold for each lat mold in my bag. I use the Gold for fairways that are wide open and the Opto for tunnel shots and playing in the woods. The Gold seems to be a touch more understable than the Opto ones as well.

Thanks for the advice, my local dg store is getting their shipment of lat64 in this week so Im gonna go feel them to see if I like the feel of one over the other. I might end up getting 1 in each plastic to see how they both fly.

I bagged a xXx over the Trident because I can get it out further if I need to, and when powered down I got the same flight. I don't expect either will flip in anything under hurricane winds, but I can barely imagine conditions where they'd lose the hard fade.
I also found the xXx a little more valuable as an OS FH and OH utility disc.
A heavier Opto Striker is my regular overstable and wind compliment to my champ TB, and one of my favorite discs as well.

Yeah, don't get a Trident for headwind drives lolz

really? I was told its kind of like a more over stable banshee...

what am i missing? I just want a over stable fairway driver that i know wont turn over in strong head winds.

Tridents have a very blunt nose to them and will not cut into the wind as well as an XXX, Riot or Blitz or Halo.

I'd suggest a blitz or halo. Or find a flat 175 Opto striker.

All this assuming you want something from Lat64.

I am definitely looking to test out something from lat64.

Of the discs you listed, which one would be the best "control" headwind driver?

Im not looking for max D really, im discing down to work on my technique, and just want a good headwind disc that isnt too fast.

Thanks for the advice, my local dg store is getting their shipment of lat64 in this week so Im gonna go feel them to see if I like the feel of one over the other. I might end up getting 1 in each plastic to see how they both fly.

I'd suggest GL just because it's easier to find unless you find yourself a nice candy color opto disc since they finally started making a more visible set of colors.

Im not looking for max D really, im discing down to work on my technique, and just want a good headwind disc that isnt too fast.

gl striker, ftw.

My strikers had a habit of "climbing" rapidly when thrown into a headwind. It became erratic and inconsistent. I bought a Trident and a XXX to round out my "control" drivers to remedy this. They can handle any headwind I've tested them against here in Michigan. But they are meat hooks. Nothing fancy about them, just crazy overstable.

If you're looking to work on your technique and form, in terms of keeping it clean, I would recommend practice driving with a stable putter. The reason being is that putters are not very forgiving thus revealing any flaws you may have, plus it'll force or teach you how to control your driving (i.e. releasing it moderate and slight hyzers, flat, and anhyzers). This way you'll know that your form is clean and, as important, being consistent, which normally translate to better success when driving with other discs.

^ those are sweet. The Havocs disappeared from dgc in about 2 hours. I was gonna grab one when I got out of work, and when I went to place the order they were gone from my cart:(

Latest posts