• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Aviar - Driver Big Bead

I ordered 2 from Infinite to try.

TurnBurn's description of the feel makes me glad that I did

Can anyone chime in on how the color glow champion runs of these fly? I putt with KCs and drive with JKs but would be interested in trying out a champ CG. I hear the Star variants are straighter out of the box, wondering if this is the same experience people find with the champ CG.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I pulled my G* Aviar Driver back out and got reminded why I stopped throwing it. Just feels like the air brakes are on vs. the Classic Aviar. Probably not a surprise with the square nose and the, well, big bead...

They should have a stock release of these in DX. It's ridiculous that you can't get one of their most popular putter molds in their most popular putter plastic.

Can't help on the color glow question though.

They should have a stock release of these in DX. It's ridiculous that you can't get one of their most popular putter molds in their most popular putter plastic.

You can get it in at least 4-5 different baseline plastics, and DX is out there.

You can get it in at least 4-5 different baseline plastics, and DX is out there.

Dx is hard to find especially in lighter weights. KC Pro is horrible all the time. JK Pro is horrible in the summer. If nexus was consistent it might be worth it, but unfortunately innova makes it. XT is great for putting but won't hold up for driving. Yeti is pretty nice, but starts out less stable.

If stock DX was a thing I would be throwing aviars. Instead I throw Omegas you can get them in DX (DT) and they use driver pro in omega AP which my favorite by far of all Pro plastic.

Dx is hard to find especially in lighter weights. KC Pro is horrible all the time. JK Pro is horrible in the summer. If nexus was consistent it might be worth it, but unfortunately innova makes it. XT is great for putting but won't hold up for driving. Yeti is pretty nice, but starts out less stable.

If stock DX was a thing I would be throwing aviars. Instead I throw Omegas you can get them in DX (DT) and they use driver pro in omega AP which my favorite by far of all Pro plastic.
I tend to agree about DX; as I recall the idea to NOT have a big bead DX Aviar in regular production was to reserve it for CFR runs. They always made it, you just had to find somebody who custom ordered it for an event. It was kinda like the Champ Roc decision; it was a good call at the time to help promote disc golf tournaments, but it was a kinda dumb business move. By reserving those molds for specialty use, they limited the availability and let other discs slide into the market share. Personally, I switched to Wizards mostly at first because they were everywhere, and the Aviar I wanted to throw wasn't. I knew dozens of people who switched to the Z Buzzz because it was easy to get and a Champ Roc wasn't.

So I get what Innova was trying to do, but the cat is out of the bag. DX big bead Aviars should just go into regular production. Bonus points if they kill the unnecessary Classic Aviar and put the grid stamp back on the big bead Aviar where it belongs. :|

I tend to agree about DX; as I recall the idea to NOT have a big bead DX Aviar in regular production was to reserve it for CFR runs. They always made it, you just had to find somebody who custom ordered it for an event. It was kinda like the Champ Roc decision; it was a good call at the time to help promote disc golf tournaments, but it was a kinda dumb business move. By reserving those molds for specialty use, they limited the availability and let other discs slide into the market share. Personally, I switched to Wizards mostly at first because they were everywhere, and the Aviar I wanted to throw wasn't. I knew dozens of people who switched to the Z Buzzz because it was easy to get and a Champ Roc wasn't.

So I get what Innova was trying to do, but the cat is out of the bag. DX big bead Aviars should just go into regular production. Bonus points if they kill the unnecessary Classic Aviar and put the grid stamp back on the big bead Aviar where it belongs. :|

Especially now that we have 100 different disc golf disc manufacturers. They could get away with it when disc golf was much smaller and their patent was in effect. Now they are just hurting themselves as people will simply switch to other brands.

I think they are still living in the past. I can see at least having the option in the proshop. CFR runs can still come from those especially considering they charge ridiculous amounts to buy 1 or 2 discs for shipping.

These are all valid observations. I guess I should have said that I also think DX BB aviars would be pretty cool. The two I've had, were great, just too hard to find. I do like some of the other plastic variants though, and older KCpro was always the standard for me. Like 3putt, I switched to wizards a long time ago, and premium ions for driving. Gateway just makes better baseline plastics imo. That being said, I still occasionally buy and throw some of my bb aviars, maybe it's nostalgia.

DX big bead Aviars should just go into regular production.

Yes!!!

Bonus points if they kill the unnecessary Classic Aviar and put the grid stamp back on the big bead Aviar where it belongs. :|

NO!!!

Unless they make P&As as consistently rigid as they make the Classics, then maybe, though I'd miss the grid stamp. P&A too often has too much flex for my liking. I'm the same way with Rocs; if the rim flexes then I'll pass.

I guess Dave D lowkey treats the Dx BB Aviar like the Champ Roc.

I've never really minded them having special CFR only plastics, like champ glow used to be, and now Color Glow seems to be CFR and tour series, but in hindsight, making a DX mold CFR seems kinda silly. Proshop feels like the obvious choice to do a huge drop of DX BB aviars.

Unless they make P&As as consistently rigid as they make the Classics, then maybe, though I'd miss the grid stamp. P&A too often has too much flex for my liking. I'm the same way with Rocs; if the rim flexes then I'll pass.
Just putt with the big bead. Problem solved. :|

I know, I know...fine, whatever.

Another gripe I have are these:

picture.php

The 9X were the old big bead mold. With the 10X the KC Pro Aviar switched to the Aviar X. There is a big following for 9X KC Pro Aviars (ask Terry Miller if you don't believe me). Here is the thing. I picked up an Omega AP big bead a few years ago; it's the same mold. It's the old big bead Aviar mold. This entire time with the collector market driving up 9X KC Pro Aviars, Innova could just...make more. :| HELLO? ANYONE THERE?!? Run some damn throwback 9X KC Pro's, stick 'em in the Factory Store, make $$$. How hard is that?

Yeah, it's subtle, but I thought I noticed a difference between the nose of my Omega APs, and KC pro aviars. I still can't tell if my Qmegas have the X nose or not. My old small bead aviars always had the typical aviar nose. I don't know the correct nomenclature between the different mold variations. Nose/wing/rim/etc.

I like the firmness of the KC Aviar, but I'm not a fan of the soapbar slick feel. I would love if Innova started doing stock dx runs of the BB Aviar

I say we start a petition for halo DX BB Aviars. Who's with me!?

Actually, never mind. They would only make them in 175 and they'd cost $20 if you could snag some before the scalpers got them.

Yeah, it's subtle, but I thought I noticed a difference between the nose of my Omega APs, and KC pro aviars. I still can't tell if my Qmegas have the X nose or not. My old small bead aviars always had the typical aviar nose. I don't know the correct nomenclature between the different mold variations. Nose/wing/rim/etc.
The Qmega was the small bead mold.

In the 90's both of the Aviars had the same nose, it was just a big bead/small bead difference. The small bead was on the Aviar PandA and the big bead was on the stiffer grid stamp. Generally. I mean, it was Innova. Sometimes they would switch it with no warning, but generally small bead=PandA, big bead=grid.

When the Omega series came out, it used the small bead Aviar mold. All Omega were small beads. The only difference between and Omega and an Aviar PandA was the plastic.

Around 2000ish, the big bead mold was changed to the Aviar X mold. The Aviar X has a blunter nose. That's why the 9X KC Pro Aviars are different from all the other KC Pro Aviars; the 9X were the only ones made before the Aviar X mold was introduced. So at that point there was a different nose profile on the big bead than the small bead. The Omega's and PandA's kept using the small bead mold and retained the old Aviar nose. The old Aviar big bead mold went away; no disc used it.

In the mid '00's sometime the Aviar PandA was converted to a beadless wing (the Aviar originally had a beadless wing but the beads were added in the late 80's so it have been a while.) The Omega series retained the small bead wing.

Sometime in the mid '10's the Omega series introduced a big bead version, so you could now get a big bead Omega. The big bead Omega's use the old 90's Aviar big bead mold; there isn't a nose profile difference between the Omega and the Omega big bead.

When you see DX big bead Aviars for sale now, they use the Aviar X big bead mold.

I'm not sure that clears anything up, but there you go.

I really wish the Aviar DRIVER mold was available in their DRIVER plastics! I love having the bead for the premium throwing putter slots because I would shred my hands throwing beadless champ putters hard. And keeping them more OS for longer is still useful.

Innova suggested to use a Whale as a replacement, but I don't think they make many of those in premium plastic either... I suppose I would go to Invaders if I lost all of the Star/Champ BB Aviars I've hunted down. Three Putts above post ^ is a wealth of knowledge, I try to chronicle and add to it below.

Original Aviar - Sharp nose, no bead

Late 80's - Small bead added to sharp nose (All small bead Aviars have original sharp nose)

Sometime after - Big Bead added to sharp nose and offered as a second mold (1st/Sharp nose BB Aviar)

Omega introduced - Always = Small Bead Aviar

2000's - BB Sharp nose changed to BB Blunt nose (2nd/current BB/Driver mold. All BB, Driver, KC, JK, JC since use this mold. (Yeti has the same nose as well. I am not sure how they change the Yetis to be concave)) I know that there were some BB made in 2003-2004 that used this old sharp BB mold, so I am not sure when the change was made, or how gradually.

2000's - Small bead Aviar "P & A" changed to 2nd/current beadless mold

Omega BB introduced - Always = 1st/Sharp BB Aviar (Could they please make *these* in Quantum if they won't make Champ BB Aviars?)

So my remaining question is, what was the situation with the Classic Aviar through all of this? Was it discontinued at some point, and reintroduced? The nose on Classics are completely different (sharp, concave bevel) than all the others from what I can gather, was the mold completely changed with the original/classic mold moving to the 1st small bead?

I really didn't like the Q-Mega (since we're talking about Omegas)– would I like a premium plastic Aviar/P2/BB Aviar? Or are they so similar that if you don't like one you don't like them all?