• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Aviar - Driver Big Bead

I really wish the Aviar DRIVER mold was available in their DRIVER plastics! I love having the bead for the premium throwing putter slots because I would shred my hands throwing beadless champ putters hard. And keeping them more OS for longer is still useful.

Innova suggested to use a Whale as a replacement, but I don't think they make many of those in premium plastic either... I suppose I would go to Invaders if I lost all of the Star/Champ BB Aviars I've hunted down.

hopefully the premium P3x gets resurrected like they did for the P1x -> Scarab/Xero. Invader is more neutral like a regular Aviar P&A. Premium Aviar Driver (I've thrown Glow Champ/GStar) isn't an improvement over the KC/JK/Yeti options for flight IMO, slightly more stable but also a bit taller/less comfortable which affected the spin I could put on it.

I really didn't like the Q-Mega (since we're talking about Omegas)– would I like a premium plastic Aviar/P2/BB Aviar? Or are they so similar that if you don't like one you don't like them all?
I think all premium blend Aviar P&A/AviarX would come in a bit taller and have a little less glide than their base/midgrade plastic counterparts. Decent bit of flashing is pretty typical to start for premium ones. Premium Aviar3/AviarX3 are better beadless options I think.

So my remaining question is, what was the situation with the Classic Aviar through all of this? Was it discontinued at some point, and reintroduced? The nose on Classics are completely different (sharp, concave bevel) than all the others from what I can gather, was the mold completely changed with the original/classic mold moving to the 1st small bead?
The "Classic" Aviar is the same disc as the current beadless Aviar PandA in a stiffer plastic. When it came into production I'm not exactly sure.

The Aviar PandA is a kinda/sorta softer (or at least gripier) plastic than straight-up DX, and there was a period of time where the only DX Aviar they made was the PandA. That time period didn't last very long. The "Classic" Aviar wasn't discontinued, the disc that was discontinued was the big bead DX Aviar. The big bead DX Aviar had used the traditional grid stamp, so that stamp went out of the Innova lineup as well. The "Classic" Aviar was introduced after that using the beadless wing and the grid stamp that had been in use on the Aviar since basically the beginning.

I'm not sure what you are seeing that makes you think it's a completely different mold than the Aviar PandA, though. Maybe you just have one that molded up weird? The Aviar PandA and the "Classic" Aviar are 100% the same exact discs in slightly different firmness of DX plastic.

Basically I can post this picture and go "I have two Aviars."

picture.php

The red Aviar is a disc I've had for 25 years. It's a 90's big bead Aviar.

picture.php

The blue disc I've had for eight or nine years. It's a beadless "Classic" Aviar.

picture.php

Profile pic because somebody is going to want to see it:

picture.php

So at some point in the '00's Innova stopped making the red disc. A few years later, they introduced the blue disc. They both use the grid stamp, and they are both Aviars. The wing is different, though.

The Classic Aviar is definitely a different mold than the current P and A. The classic has a convex bottom nose piece, the P and A is pretty much flat on that edge, and is taller.

Ok, it could be the plastic type, I'm comparing Classic to Star P and A. If you say it's definitely the same I'll believe that

I'd also like to take this moment to ask for halo aviars. Big bead. Small bead. No bead. Whatever.

If I remember right, Star aviar drivers are hard to come by. So maybe Halo aviar drivers would be popular.

they used to be dust collectors on store shelves

Well I love the feel of the one I have left. It's pretty great for a slightly OS driving putter. And beadless Star aviars are pretty money for driving as well. I feel like every time I see star or g star aviar drivers on eBay they're going for like $40-$50.

Well I love the feel of the one I have left. It's pretty great for a slightly OS driving putter. And beadless Star aviars are pretty money for driving as well. I feel like every time I see star or g star aviar drivers on eBay they're going for like $40-$50.

i might have to make some quick $$$$ thank you

The red Aviar is a disc I've had for 25 years. It's a 90's big bead Aviar.

You have just solved a mystery for me that has puzzled me for decades. My first disc was a grid stamp Aviar back in the 90s, and I distinctly remember it having way more fade than a classic Aviar would today. It was so long ago I completely forgot it had a bead.

You have just solved a mystery for me that has puzzled me for decades. My first disc was a grid stamp Aviar back in the 90s, and I distinctly remember it having way more fade than a classic Aviar would today. It was so long ago I completely forgot it had a bead.
Lol, the first night I used Classic Aviars in league I had a shorter hyzer shot. I put some hyzer on it and it just sailed...blew it a good 35' past the basket just straight as you please. I was like "Oh, these are not the same as my old Aviars". :eek: My partner was not amused.

I'd also like to take this moment to ask for halo aviars. Big bead. Small bead. No bead. Whatever.
Halo Star & Halo Nexus Aviar P&A are available now :) along with https://proshop.innovadiscs.com/halo-nexus-aviar-driver/

Picked up a teal one of these to try out, similar profile & neutral flatness (no puddle top) to my main putting putter when it was new - stiff blue XT Aviar Driver. Grip/tackiness is somewhere in between XT and KC Pro with stiffness close to DX. Better feel than the puddle top Galactic Nexus ones they have released the past couple years. Am I right to expect Nexus to develop a little puddle as it gets used from thumb pressure? That is what has happened to my XT ones with a couple years of regular use.

Picked up a teal one of these to try out, similar profile & neutral flatness (no puddle top) to my main putting putter when it was new - stiff blue XT Aviar Driver. Grip/tackiness is somewhere in between XT and KC Pro with stiffness close to DX. Better feel than the puddle top Galactic Nexus ones they have released the past couple years. Am I right to expect Nexus to develop a little puddle as it gets used from thumb pressure? That is what has happened to my XT ones with a couple years of regular use.

I got my wife a pair of the teal ones too once I saw they were not puddle topped on OTB. She putts with DX Big Beads currently. She liked the feel when I gave them to her but hasn't putted with them yet.

I've had an original Nexus Firefly in my bag since 2019 and it doesn't have any extra puddle to it, but it had a subtle puddle top to begin with. Now it's my circle 2 and beyond putter, so doesn't get as much use as it used to.

Latest posts