• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Aviar p&a

Anyone know what plastic is the most stable?

Recently switched to DX Aviars for putting and throwing, but DX beats in pretty quick. Are champs or stars more stable as throwers?

And no, I don't care for the 3, X3 versions or P2's, just want the simple Aviar.

Been throwing Aviars as a driving putter for a decade now, Star is the most stable, Champion is a little less, DX is somewhere in the mix after Champion and R-pro has the most glide. I've never personally thrown a GStar, but my Brother does and it's similar to DX. McPro/Tour Series Pro is like a beat champ and a little more stable than a DX.

Been throwing Aviars as a driving putter for a decade now, Star is the most stable, Champion is a little less, DX is somewhere in the mix after Champion and R-pro has the most glide. I've never personally thrown a GStar, but my Brother does and it's similar to DX. McPro/Tour Series Pro is like a beat champ and a little more stable than a DX.

Interesting...how much of a difference did you find between Star and Champ? Wondering because I didn't find too much of a difference, but if I had to pick, my Star seemed less stable.

Probably a sample size issue, as I only threw them for a little while.

This thread is making me want to put my Champ Aviars back in the bag.

Interesting...how much of a difference did you find between Star and Champ? Wondering because I didn't find too much of a difference, but if I had to pick, my Star seemed less stable.

Probably a sample size issue, as I only threw them for a little while.

This thread is making me want to put my Champ Aviars back in the bag.

A CAviar is a wonderful disc.

In my experience, the newer Stars are way more stable. The two I've bought within the last year are almost P2 stable. My old Two-ring ones, I will contend there isn't much, but the ones after that were pretty noticeable too. I would hit them out to ~300' and they'd stay stable where as a CAviar would not be as stable unless I gave it slight hyzer and height. Also, looking at them now, most my CAviars develop puddle tops. My Stars are still relatively flat. Idk if that's just some fluke of mine or if others can report the same.

I suppose, overall they've gotten more stable over the years. I guess I can get a new CAviar and see. I don't have any with the new circle stamp.

Where are you playing that upshots with a DX Aviar season it quickly?

Lots of trees and rough ground on two of my local 9 hole courses. I play lots of putter only rounds, especially now with all the other courses closed.

When life gets back to normal, a couple of fresh DX Aviars will probably do just fine.

Anyone know what plastic is the most stable?

I set out to find the answer to this question last year.
When I was at Innova East, I bought all the Aviars I could find (except for McPro) and all were 175 and orange-ish (FWIW)
1 Champ
1 Star
1 G Star
1 R-Pro
1 XT
1 DX

After this, I went for a pretty thorough field session.
Champ and Star were the most overstable. If I had to pick one that was more overstable, I'd choose the Champ but it only winds by a hair. The glide really suffers in these plastics as several posters have already mentioned.

G Star and XT were about the same stability: less overstable than the Champ/Star but more overstable than R-Pro/DX. G Star had more glide than the Champ/Star but less than the XT.

DX and R-Pro were about the same stability and less overstable than any of the other plastics. I looooove DX but R-Pro is fantastic for those scary greens where you need to hit-and-stick. The glide is great on either of these plastics IMO.

For my money, I prefer DX and XT.

I should also mention that DX Aviar PandAs are my go-to plastic and I don't think they beat in very fast at all. I nail trees all the time and play on rocky east coast courses. If I have to buy a new pair of DX PandAs every year, I'm fine with that.
YMMV.

I've found Classic Aviars to be a bit more OS than P&A's. May be due to the stiffer blend of DX.

I've found Classic Aviars to be a bit more OS than P&A's. May be due to the stiffer blend of DX.

Classic Aviars are my main putter and fieldwork thrower. I have heard of more OS Classic Aviars existing but haven't found one after going through dozens of them. Any way to tell by looking at the disc? Would be great to be able to have a fuller cycle of them. Right now I just have straight to flippy.

Threads are better with pics, so I dug out some of my P&A Aviars. 2 ring Star, a couple of Champs, and a swirly DX that I recently got. Used to throw KCs, Yeti's, and P&A. Been throwing Classics, P2s, Firefly, and recently the AX3. Gonna take the P&As and find out why I stopped throwing them in the first place.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I don't have a ton of experience with the Classic Aviars. All 5 of mine are 150g. All of them are slightly less overstable than a 150g DX Aviar PandA.
I don't have any insight on why we are seeing different stabilities. I've found Aviars in general to be pretty consistent, especially considering how many different types and variants they've made throughout the years.

I should also mention that DX Aviar PandAs are my go-to plastic and I don't think they beat in very fast at all. I nail trees all the time and play on rocky east coast courses. If I have to buy a new pair of DX PandAs every year, I'm fine with that.
YMMV.

This is what I was getting at. I don't throw Aviars, but I do prefer putters in baseline for throwing and hit trees/rocks all the time. My local pitch and putt where I try out new putters is practically a gravel pit and has blacktop around the pins (old Steady Ed course from the 80s). After a round, no putter looks anywhere close to fresh. I will openly admit that I don't have an issue with imperfect rims/bent discs so maybe this is a situation of hand feel killing confidence?

For what it's worth, I've been playing a lot the last week with two XT Aviars. One is almost as hard as KC and the other closer to R-Pro (go figure). Anyway, I think these will fit the bill. They are a little more stable than DX and I prefer the feel of base line.

I'm not saying DX won't hold up under normal use, all of my mids and putters are base line plastic and half of my fairways,(I know DX life span) I've just been giving these particular 4 DX Aviar P&As a serious workout in the last month.

Thanks for all the help.

For what it's worth, I've been playing a lot the last week with two XT Aviars. One is almost as hard as KC and the other closer to R-Pro (go figure). Anyway, I think these will fit the bill. They are a little more stable than DX and I prefer the feel of base line.

Despite the variance in the XT plastic of those two, would you say the plastic is substantially similar to XT in Novas? Tried a stack of Novas, liked the flight and feel of that XT and the dozen I had all felt consistently the same. Couldn't really get over the feel of the overmold part though. XT Aviar sounds like something I might like to try.

Despite the variance in the XT plastic of those two, would you say the plastic is substantially similar to XT in Novas? Tried a stack of Novas, liked the flight and feel of that XT and the dozen I had all felt consistently the same. Couldn't really get over the feel of the overmold part though. XT Aviar sounds like something I might like to try.

It's the same as the Nova. I have other XT discs and that particular P&A is the only one that has been soft, it's dark blue, so I don't know if that makes a difference.

I also throw the Nova once in a while, the rim doesn't bother me, but they are just a tad too deep for my liking.

You should give XT a try. I have some mids in XT and they have worked well.

OK, I went out today and played a couple of rounds with only 4 Aviar P&As, (2 new DX, 1 new XT and one seasoned XT).
All discs were thrown off the tee and played out.

This is what I came away with;
The DX has better glide and were constantly about 10 feet further off the tee.
I much prefer putting with DX, had lots of front rim bangers with the XT.
The XT has more stability and held up better in the wind. Into a head wind, The DX would stand up a little and drift, the XT held it's line better. On full power shots, the XT also held it's line better.
Ground play was the same for both.
I found the XT easier to forehand, but that may have been more to do with the grip of XT.
On short up shots, like 100-150 feet, The XT dumps a little more.

So anyway, I'll bag both for a while. Putt with the DX and I have a beautiful hyzer flip to turn over one too. But I'll use the XT for upshots and more power.

I have always in feeling the discs that XT is the attempt at old DX from the 2000's until 2009 when the plastic in early 2009 became softer like modern DX but not yet waxy like it did sometime in the 2010's. I remember this Old 2000's DX lasting in original flight longer then one good hit to a tree, it wore in like a slightly faster version of Pro.

I have always in feeling the discs that XT is the attempt at old DX from the 2000's until 2009 when the plastic in early 2009 became softer like modern DX but not yet waxy like it did sometime in the 2010's. I remember this Old 2000's DX lasting in original flight longer then one good hit to a tree, it wore in like a slightly faster version of Pro.

except the years of waxy stuff which was everywhere 2002-2006 and folded like a taco after one solid tree whack.