• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Aviar p&a

Eh...there are XD threads and Colt threads where we can expand on how bad the Colt is as an XD replacement. You guys need to focus on the Aviar PandA!

*gets excited about a 37-year-old disc*

I just picked up a Star Aviar PnA as a throwing putter to go between my rhynos and my mirage.

Previously I bagged a Proxy but decided to seek out something a little slower that would be more controllable on shorter, floaty ups, while still filling that straight driving putter role. :hfive:

Grabbed a DX to go with it, just for practice.

Anyone know what plastic is the most stable?

Recently switched to DX Aviars for putting and throwing, but DX beats in pretty quick. Are champs or stars more stable as throwers?

And no, I don't care for the 3, X3 versions or P2's, just want the simple Aviar.

Recently switched to DX Aviars for putting and throwing, but DX beats in pretty quick. Are champs or stars more stable as throwers?

And no, I don't care for the 3, X3 versions or P2's, just want the simple Aviar.

Innova makes XT Aviar P&A, as close to the old stiff DX that lasted longer. No I do not think the plastic will be the Soft P&A plastic but the Stiff as if you are lucky the DX can still be found in the Stiffer bit not quite as stiff as DX from the 2000's yet still waxy like DX one could find in 2000's. I had a DX Shark at 168 grams in this plastic from 2005 or mid 2004, I forget but the wax would fall off the plastic over time and use, a 2014 DX Stingray has done this until I stopped using the mold due to how the mold was in winds over 10 mph.

Ok, and that answered nothing:doh::rolleyes:
For me Champs are maybe a little more OS, but really they lacked glide VS DX. They really didn't fade that much more, they were just shorter. Stars I've never thrown. Bonus idea: I actually really liked the Millennium Omega AP; it's just the small-bead Aviar mold in Pro plastic. A little more durable and not as much as a glide-suck as Champ.

For me Champs are maybe a little more OS, but really they lacked glide VS DX. They really didn't fade that much more, they were just shorter. Stars I've never thrown. Bonus idea: I actually really liked the Millennium Omega AP; it's just the small-bead Aviar mold in Pro plastic. A little more durable and not as much as a glide-suck as Champ.

That's ok, I don't need the glide, was looking to use it for more of an upshot disc. I have a stack of DX throwers, so I'm good in the glide department, was just looking for something to hold up a little better.

I'll look into the Omega.

I threw Star and Champ Aviars for a couple years around 5-6 years ago. Don't remember any real difference in stability between the premium plastics. They flew fine, but I still prefer the feel of DX Aviars over premium plastics.

Agreed on the glide. In terms of stability I didn't notice a difference between Star, Champ, or fresh DX.

That's ok, I don't need the glide, was looking to use it for more of an upshot disc.
An upshot was exactly what I used the Champ for. I hated the feel for putting, but it was really good at the sit and stay upshot. I didn't like it for driving, so I was driving with a KC Pro, taking upshots with a beadless Champ and putting with DX PandA or Classic...there was a lot going on there.

I finally decided that I was thinking too much about which Aviar I should throw and I switched to all Yetis. Yetis were kinda a middle ground for me; I didn't like them as much for any use as the other three I was using, but I liked them enough to use instead of all three. I'm married, so I'm used to compromise. :\

For a disc, the Innova company makes the G-Star for an approach type disc hitting trees it will just sit after the bash into said tree. I have seen a G-Star Gator do the same, my brother has one he used once while I was out and hit a tree.

An upshot was exactly what I used the Champ for. I hated the feel for putting, but it was really good at the sit and stay upshot. I didn't like it for driving, so I was driving with a KC Pro, taking upshots with a beadless Champ and putting with DX PandA or Classic...there was a lot going on there.

I finally decided that I was thinking too much about which Aviar I should throw and I switched to all Yetis. Yetis were kinda a middle ground for me; I didn't like them as much for any use as the other three I was using, but I liked them enough to use instead of all three. I'm married, so I'm used to compromise. :\

That's funny. I've putting and throwing Yeti's and Rhynos for years. Never had a problem until last year, the beads started hanging up and every third or so shot hangs up on my index finger and goes right, even when putting. Switched to Aviars late last year and the release problem went away.

I have no problem with Rocs though.

My Star Aviar is the less stable of my Aviar's. I factor that into it also being 163 grams. My R-Pro is max weight and handles similar to my 171 DX's, and the 171 Classic P&A.
The star plastic feels nice. Has grip. It rewards your efforts in good throwing, and it punishes bad releases. I'm not bothered with handling and throwing it in the cold either.
I'm super tempted to get a champion Aviar next time I pick up some discs.
Personally, I compliment my aviar's with an x3.

That's funny. I've putting and throwing Yeti's and Rhynos for years. Never had a problem until last year, the beads started hanging up and every third or so shot hangs up on my index finger and goes right, even when putting. Switched to Aviars late last year and the release problem went away.

I had this same issue with my Wizards. They were my main putter for the last 5+ years and on a whim my GF bought me a custom stamped Aviar for Valentines day. We both throw Wizards so I don't know why she thought an Aviar was a good gift!! Long story short, I got tired of looking at the Aviar and I got tired of missing putts with my Wizard due to grip issues. Not having the bead on the Aviar has improved my putting consistency tremendously. I love the feel of Wizards, but I hate the feel of missing putts. It was a good adjustment and a good switch.

The bead never bothered me, but I ended up with a Warlock randomly when those came out and it was in the stack of putters I'd practice with. You could just see the difference with that one disc; clean release without the wobble my putts always had. I didn't really feel it, but I could see it. I had been switching back and forth from KC Pro Aviars to Wizards, so I just changed that to switching back and forth from a PandA or Classic Aviar to Warlocks. Plus I've never really fully decided that I really NEED a beadless putter so I'll go back to a KC Pro or Yeti or Wizard...maybe I shouldn't give advice on putters. :\

I still pretty much default to a beaded putter for drives, but it's habit more than anything. A PandA or Classic Aviar is plenty HHS enough for me to drive with. I think the lack of bead just beats them in more quickly. I don't really have the wobble-release thing with my drives, just my putts. The people I play with often always notice when I go back to putting with a beaded putter; the wobble is pretty prominent.

I'm apparently the only one, but I do find the Star P&As to be more stable than DX. They take a lot longer to break in, so maybe that's actually what I've noticed. I have had some outlier DX that are more stable than the norm. But it really does seem that most Stars are a little more stable new. As far as glide goes, for me the extra glide of DX seems to come from them flipping up more.

I love Aviars. For throwing I typically carry 2 DX P&As at different stages of wear, 1 Star P&A, and one Star Driver Mold to cover a lot of shots and stabilities. The P&A really is my bread and butter mold. I also putt with JKs.

Bonus idea: I actually really liked the Millennium Omega AP; it's just the small-bead Aviar mold in Pro plastic. A little more durable and not as much as a glide-suck as Champ.

I had a stack of Omega DTs (from the first run) I just sold. Those were like the old school DX.

Where are you playing that upshots with a DX Aviar season it quickly?

You can always grab a few Tour Series/McPro Aviars. That'll give you a more premium plastic without killing a ton of glide like Champ and Star.

Glow Champ is pretty stable for PnA's, but not readily available.

I have one of the new style stamp regular Champs and that is a decent slightly over stable flyer.

Where are you playing that upshots with a DX Aviar season it quickly?

You can always grab a few Tour Series/McPro Aviars. That'll give you a more premium plastic without killing a ton of glide like Champ and Star.

anywhere in the Midwest. michigan here and we smashhhh trees