• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Axiom] Axiom Crave, FAIRWAY DRIVER?!

Just going to leave these here.

03261620112_zpslsrfndnm.jpg

03261620242_zpsavqecbnm.jpg

Leave something like that lying around and someone is bound to walk off with them.

Not gonna lye though, I'm not a fan of this run of Skullboy art.

I just picked up a Crave to try out for my straight/stable Fairway driver.
I got a Neutron 175g Black Core, White Rim & Neutron 173g Blue Core Blue Rim
The disc looks and feels great. Flat top, fairly pointy feel, but slightly blunted and feels right in the hand.

The flight was almost as expected. It was actually more HSS than I would have guessed. The disc flies true to flight #'s 6/4/-0.75/2 or 7/4/-1/2 if you want it closer to Innova rating. The rim width was not as wide as a Teebird. But it was very aerodynamic. So it can zip, but does not go THAT far. If you muscle it really good it will turn over and ride but not a big flip. It just takes a small anhyzer bank and rides mostly straight. It is not a Flippy disc, it is not an overstable disc, its just goes where you aim it with a nice confident hyzer fade out in the last 15% of the flight. It is pretty trusty to finish on the hyzer. Nice disc. A stable, do-it-all type of fairway disc. Its small, thin, flat, flies in a tight S shape. All around I was impressed with the disc.

There are two distinctly different Craves. One's the HSS one you're describing. The other has considerably less. My noodle couldn't keep it from flipping, and it didn't have much LSS either.

I've about come full circle on the Crave. When it first released, for me it was basically a less predictable Servo, I didn't gel with it, and didn't bag it. It's almost gotten to the point of being indispensable in my bag for several shots now.

I've actually gotten to the point of:

2 Switches
1 Crave
1-2 Resistors

Servo out of the bag. Which sucks because I have about 7 or 8 of them.

And the Relay is going to knock at least 1 of the Switches out, I think.

Last edited:
There are two distinctly different Craves. One's the HSS one you're describing. The other has considerably less. My noodle couldn't keep it from flipping, and it didn't have much LSS either.

Was the difference Weight? or Plastic? or was it just, luck of the draw?

I have two Neutron's about the same weight, 173-175 and both look identical when next on a flat surface.

i actually thought this disc would have been flippier....i was very happy to find out mine flew stable

Luck of the draw. Ive sold TB a few and owned many myself. For some reason protons when first released seemed a little less stable in general while my early neutrons just we stupid straight.

Was the difference Weight? or Plastic? or was it just, luck of the draw?

I have two Neutron's about the same weight, 173-175 and both look identical when next on a flat surface.

i actually thought this disc would have been flippier....i was very happy to find out mine flew stable

My experience has been with two in the 170s and two in the 150s. I thought it was a fluke with the 150s. My first had a perfect amount of late turn followed by the solid fade. I lost it to the second pond at Slippery Rock, pulled out my seemingly identical replacement, and it flipped into a roller. Completely different disc unfortunately, and it got shipped to a friend who I thought might like it. Then I tried some heavier ones and encountered the same issue between two of them.

The "good" Craves (like you describe) are amazing discs. The others, not so much (for me) unfortunately.

Luck of the draw. Ive sold TB a few and owned many myself. For some reason protons when first released seemed a little less stable in general while my early neutrons just we stupid straight.

I had a very early production Proton Crave, deep blue/pink rim. It was more OS than my Servos. As far as how flat and PLH, it seemed middle of the road in that regard. I was surprised by the overstability, expected it to be slightly less so than the Servo.

I really wanted to like the crave. But its just not, imho, a good disc. Too much stability at the end and kind of midling HSS.
If I want dump a firebird or other OS utility is better and easier to toss.
And other than that, I can get more D from my mids with the same toss. Its distance compared to like a teebird or FD or similar was paltry. I think its cause it is such a thin, no dome design. Sure you could power it really hard to get distance, but I'd rather throw another fairway that will go farther on its own.

It could be used in my bag as a stable fairway, but the HSS just didnt feel right.

my 2 cents. I wish the disc had some dome to it so bad.

Man I couldn't put firebird and crave in the same sentence. It does settle down hard at the very end of the flight but, for me, will go straight for decent distance before that.

I've revisited the Crave, recently got a Plasma and Neutron. Longer Buzzz! Nothing like the Servo, IMO. Much better glide and carry, and only a very mild fade at the end. The Plasma might have slightly better glide, but the difference is negligible.

I intended to use the Crave as a fairway driver, but powered up drives are surprisingly long. The flight is so controlled too. Could happily throw these Craves all day long. Anyway, :thmbup:

...the early production Proton I had(circa 2012?) was nothing like these.

If there is one disc I would never be without during a full bag round, the Crave is it. I can't praise it enough. I'm genuinely surprised it hasn't caught on more than it has. It works wonders across a wide variety of power levels. I'll throw mine with pinpoint precision on 350-450' holes, but also power them down on 200-300' tee shots. I've given them out to a lot of my friends who throw 320-375' and they get much straighter shots with equal distance compared to wider rimmed discs.

This was my first ever throw with a mid 160's Plasma Crave after not playing for over a month. Parked it on a ~375' hole. Effortlessly accurate.

PS - I get a laugh at my first Energy throw. I saw MVP distance drivers in a shop and made a point to not look up flight ratings, just picked one out blind and had no idea how massively OS it would be. Was expecting to blow past the basket when I barely made it half way there :D Was fun, I've never gotten to throw an MVP disc without a preconceived notion of how it should fly, it was refreshing.

If there is one disc I would never be without during a full bag round, the Crave is it. I can't praise it enough. I'm genuinely surprised it hasn't caught on more than it has. It works wonders across a wide variety of power levels. I'll throw mine with pinpoint precision on 350-450' holes, but also power them down on 200-300' tee shots. I've given them out to a lot of my friends who throw 320-375' and they get much straighter shots with equal distance compared to wider rimmed discs.

This was my first ever throw with a mid 160's Plasma Crave after not playing for over a month. Parked it on a ~375' hole. Effortlessly accurate.

PS - I get a laugh at my first Energy throw. I saw MVP distance drivers in a shop and made a point to not look up flight ratings, just picked one out blind and had no idea how massively OS it would be. Was expecting to blow past the basket when I barely made it half way there :D Was fun, I've never gotten to throw an MVP disc without a preconceived notion of how it should fly, it was refreshing.

Yep, very controlled flight/lines at different power levels. I was throwing both Craves on long approach at a field, released flat and approx 10 ft right of target, they'd hold straight forever and then hook up slightly at the very end. Sweeping hyzers and controlled anhyzer's that pan out nicely are a dream with this disc.

When I started throwing drives with them at full power, the easy distance just blew me away. These hang in the air for a long time. I don't know where the mega glide is coming from cuz the Neutron is flat and the Plasma has only a very slight dome.

Crave=sleeper disc

Yup, when I empty my bag in the practice field the Crave is often within 20' of my longest throw. Its one of those discs that doesn't make sense to me :p

Crave has officially kicked the volt out of my bag. The subtle turn the Crave has gives it a little extra D, but still has a very dependable yet workable flight to it. Been mashing my crave out past 360 almost every time. Sucks cause I can't find a distance driver that'll consistently go over 400 for me so there's too much overlap with the crave... good problem to have I guess :D

Same here. Volt was a cornerstone of my bag for years, but with the Crave and Wrath in my bag it felt redundant. I still throw a seasoned to straight eclipse Volt once in a while, but the Crave / Wrath combo is all I really need to cover my bases.