• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Axiom] Axiom Inspire

Sorry everyone, had to tend to some flood damage from sever storms yesterday.

The Inspire is a very comfortable disc. With the weight ranges offered, I suspect this will be extremely popular with a wide range of players.

It's been described as a worn Crave. Knowing that, I threw it side by side with an N Crave that was 1 gram lighter with some wear on it. They performed very similar, with the primary difference being that the Crave wanted to fight out of some anny/turn to finish in a more flat position heading back towards the left (RHBH throw). The Inspire would continue to turn and glide to the right, which was great to see since I would love to have RHBH slice disc.

That being said, I suspect, the Inspire will break in to be more US overall since this is the "off the shelf" behavior. A few rounds in the woods should reveal the whole of its character.

My disc is a 165g, so I'll be very interested to see how this wears in, and curious to experiment with different weights after release. I didn't have a chance to throw this into much wind, but I suspect you'd want to go heavy Servo or Resistor in this class of Fairway driver into heavy winds given the amount of turn I witnessed form the Inspire.

There's been some discussion as to how this slots in with the Crave & Switch, and while I suspect there's some overlap at the heaver end of this mold with some of the non-max weight end of the Switch, this is a more US disc right off the shelf. And, it comes in so many color combos. The orange core with the blue rim is just stellar (and this is from a long-suffering Browns fan who remembers all too well what the Broncos did to us int he late 80's wearing those same colors ;-) With 5 fairway drivers in this class across the MVP and Axiom lines (Resistor, Servo, Crave, Switch, Insipire), these drivers should be the workhorse of many a disc golfers bags.

Here's some profile shots for comparison...
Inspire on the Left, Crave on the Right
13994723689_30747691b5_z.jpg

Inspire on the left, Switch on the right
13994747068_ae6c3878e3_z.jpg

Inspire and Switch have similar but different noses and similar but different flights. It's easy to see in the air. If you can decode noses, here's the whole story for both discs:

LodaNTf.jpg

On top of the nose you'll see the source of Inspire's extra turn. On the underside of the nose you'll see the source of Switch's fade. You'd see similar flights with a little extra turn on Inspire, and a lack of bite at the end like you see in the Switch.

It's not so easy to see in a photo, but it comes out in these CAD cutaways and in xlhammy's review. I can see it with the naked eye, and my throwing tests support it as well.

Inspire and Switch have similar but different noses and similar but different flights. It's easy to see in the air. If you can decode noses, here's the whole story for both discs:

LodaNTf.jpg

On top of the nose you'll see the source of Inspire's extra turn. On the underside of the nose you'll see the source of Switch's fade. You'd see similar flights with a little extra turn on Inspire, and a lack of bite at the end like you see in the Switch.

It's not so easy to see in a photo, but it comes out in these CAD cutaways and in xlhammy's review. I can see it with the naked eye, and my throwing tests support it as well.

I concur - these discs behave differently in the air. Those who carry minimalist bags probably won't care too much, but as I always say, don't knock it till you try it. ;-)

Case in point is the Crave. Some people heard "worn Servo" and discounted it, but it is proving itself to be one of the most versatile utility Fairways MVP/Axiom has made to date... and that comes from people throwing it, not simply judging it from words on a forum.

A Teebird, Eagle and Banshee all feel similar in the hand as well.

I notice more difference in a tbird and eagle than a servo and crave. I also don't feel like looking through stacks of birds to find the one that have that overhyped tbird flight.

I notice more difference in a tbird and eagle than a servo and crave. I also don't feel like looking through stacks of birds to find the one that have that overhyped tbird flight.

Your argument of having to look for a good tbird is maybe valid, but saying its flight is overhyped seems a little exaggerated. The disc is a living legend, pay some respect!

Your argument of having to look for a good tbird is maybe valid, but saying its flight is overhyped seems a little exaggerated. The disc is a living legend, pay some respect!

You're absolutely right, my statement was a little exaggerated. But if ever a disc for more praise than it deserves, which disc would it be?

You're absolutely right, my statement was a little exaggerated. But if ever a disc for more praise than it deserves, which disc would it be?

T-bird. Sure its a great disc in the hands of many players but that doesnt make it the best disc of all time. I don't know how anyone would be able to label any disc as the best disc of all time.

Just got some field work in with a 168 gram Neutron Inspire. I was throwing it alongside a 170 gram Discmania G-Line FD.

The Inspire seems like a Switch with less fade out of the box. I can pop it up to flat pretty easily, and get it turn with some good snap. Holds an anny nicely to the ground, as well. Where I see the difference between the Switch and Inspire is the end of the flight. I never found the Switch to have as much bite as the end as people have said, but the Inspire definitely fades less. They both feel similar in the hand.

I would love to see the Inspire with a little dome, though, to give it some more glide. The FD was far outpacing the Inspire in the distance category, while running very similar lines. I don't have a big arm, so the extra glide of the FD wins.

For MVP/Axiom fans who found the Switch to have too much fade or the Crave to be a little more OS than they'd like (I fall into the latter category), the Inspire should be a winner. It's pretty point and shoot at lower power and should be nice in the woods.

I too have returned from field work with my Inspire.

I tested my 169g Inspire against a 166g Switch. The two discs look and feel pretty much the same to me. But I am not the Jedi that a Zam or ZJ is. I can see very minute differences in the wings, and those can be seen in the pic that another poster showed us.

It was a windy afternoon, with winds around the 10-15mph range with higher gusts. I really enjoyed throwing the Inspire, and liked to see some turn into the headwind. I got a couple of nice long annys out of it in the 300' range.

As much as I liked the Inspire, I liked the Switch. So much so that the two discs are basically interchangeable. I didn't really see the lack of bite that has been mentioned. BUT, I believe that this could be due to the thrower's margin of error, so to speak. And the wind. In other words, my hyzer might not have been exact with every throw, and the wind could have moved the Switch, or Inspire a bit more of less with every throw. For me, the two held very similar lines, FH, BH, anny, hyzer, straight.

The only noticeable difference I saw was the skip on the Inspire. The Switch seems to sit more, while the Inspire had some sweet skips. It's not huge, like a distance driver, but I like a little skip now and then.

I know that the similarities between the Switch and Inspire have been a concern for some. I see this as a chance for Axiom to have a very versatile, straight, glidey fairway of their own. Is it very similar to the Switch? Yes, without a doubt. And that's ok. This is Axiom's, not MVP's.

And it is an excellent complement to the more stable Crave.

Wow these bomb. Of course the camera was off for my first throw. Parked a 435' hole in a slight tailwind throwing 85% or so with a slight hyzer. Lazy track to the right 80% of the flight then it fought back at the end. Best throw I've had on that hole actually.

I want to get the Switch and Inspire out on a calm day to see how they really fly. The subtleties might be revealed then.