• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Backyard Courses

Mako8

I have been working on my course a lot recently; got about 13 holes but its a pitch and putt course. This course works fine for me because I don't want to throw my arm out on every hole. My question is; How many people have backyard courses that we're designed and built by them? How many people have bought land just to put a disc course on? I'll post some pictures this weekend when I have some time in the light.

Yeah, I have a course in my backyard. I'm the caretaker for a YMCA camp, I live on site and I have around 15 acres of dense woods to play around in. Link in sig.

Yes, on both counts; I have a course in my backyard, and bought land just to build a course. Well, that's not quite true; I bought it to build a course and a house.

My uncle made one years back that we would play every day (nothing special) but the nearby college kids came by and stole our baskets :\

Yes, on both counts; I have a course in my backyard, and bought land just to build a course. Well, that's not quite true; I bought it to build a course and a house.
That's what the folks who own Cabin Creek did. They specifically had disc golf in mind when looking at different pieces of property to build on... I'd say the chose.

My cousin has helped design a couple of courses and has a few holes behind his house. Has serious potential but he doesn't have the income to make permanent pads or maintain the land to its ideal state.

I have two holes in my yard. One 300ft dog leg left through a tree tunnel and one 235 a curve shot going around the other side of the house. Nothing crazy but it keeps the mid/putter drives sharp.

If I'm lucky, I'll be starting on a course in the woods behind my house soon. It's a big if though. There's the whole matter of figuring out who owns the property, then seeing if they would mind me putting in a course. However, due to limited funds, that basically would be me hanging some makeshift wind chimes from trees and trimming a few branches here and there. And then clearing the fairways of vines/thorns would be a huge undertaking. So like I said, if I'm lucky.

I like to categorize backyard courses into a couple of named varieties

Starburst design: one or two baskets, centrally located with walk out - play in to basket. Usually many of the "tees" are off property, out across the street, from a neighboring field, etc.

Spiderweb courses: several baskets, mostly spread around the periphery, but maybe one or two central. A Criss crossing layout back and forth, diagonal. So that if you mapped it, it'd look like a spiderweb with node points.

Crossing fairway links: almost there, but enabled by a (few) crossing fairways. 12-18 baskets, one main routing for a full "round". Maybe an alternate routing or two exists. The rule of thumb for this style is that it could support two, three, (maybe) four playing groups at one time, but by god not a full field as carnage could still occur.

Full meal deal. 9 hole, 18 hole or more varieties. No crossers, and safe for a full field. These are the most rare of home courses. (but also the most epic especially when a special event gets planned)

Nice. I'm never sure, when people post about backyard courses, which category they're talking about---and whether my yard falls into their category.

If I'm lucky, I'll be starting on a course in the woods behind my house soon. It's a big if though. There's the whole matter of figuring out who owns the property, then seeing if they would mind me putting in a course. However, due to limited funds, that basically would be me hanging some makeshift wind chimes from trees and trimming a few branches here and there. And then clearing the fairways of vines/thorns would be a huge undertaking. So like I said, if I'm lucky.

Yeah... I thought that I'd just put in a couple baskets and throw a couple lines at them, too. :p Once you get started, it's really hard to stop! Have fun, btw!

And how many WV courses do you still have to go?

I have a little less than 5 acres on which I have 10 baskets. I still need to cut some more fairways and fine tune the other ones. I have made 5 baskets, bought 3 new and found 3 used. I still need to make tee boxes and trails. I believe this course has a lot of potential but it is only a pitch and putt course. Because of this I made the fairways tight and challenging. I would like to have a good 21 hole course, an 18 hole ace run course and other shots that come to mind. How many backyard courses are there in New Mexico??

There is someone that lives just a few blocks from me with at least 12 baskets that I can count, on 6 acres. Never seen anyone playing the course or even throw a disc for that matter. I have tried leaving messages, thrown discs with a message written on them near a basket and never a reply. To top it off there is a great dane and 2 pit bulls that run around scaring anyone off. Can you believe that crap... Its like the forbidden fruit. Such a f*&^ing tease.

I am looking for a large 40 to 100 acre tract of land to do the same. I think it would be great to live in the woods and have privacy but than the next weekend you could hold an event and have hundreds of people there.

Twilight Zone in Columbus is an 18 hole backyard course built with 7 baskets on 5 acres. I got to play it last year and loved it.
You guys who talk about having 5-6 acres could call Chuck for advice, I bet he would be helpful. He's an old friend of Brent Hambrick's so he's been around for a while.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=4006

Twilight Zone in Columbus is an 18 hole backyard course built with 7 baskets on 5 acres. I got to play it last year and loved it.
You guys who talk about having 5-6 acres could call Chuck for advice, I bet he would be helpful. He's an old friend of Brent Hambrick's so he's been around for a while.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=4006

Thanks Jay thats awesome to hear. I will def give him a call and have a chat.

Twilight Zone; is that a pitch and putt course? I would think it would have to be, were there any novelty holes? I am thinking of having a couple of mini disc baskets mixed in the course to change it up a bit and keep you guessing.

It is not a pitch and putt by any means. It's not a course that will host any tournaments because of all the shared baskets and crossing fairways, but it is a quality par 54 course that will challenge your game. Despite all the crossing fairways and shared baskets, it managed to not feel repetitive at all. Chuck really has designed something special.

It is not a pitch and putt by any means. It's not a course that will host any tournaments because of all the shared baskets and crossing fairways, but it is a quality par 54 course that will challenge your game. Despite all the crossing fairways and shared baskets, it managed to not feel repetitive at all. Chuck really has designed something special.

^^ He was there that day. Not a pitch and putt. I was really impressed with the lay out.

There were some novelty holes. The fence with all the old plastic hanging on it, the basket with grass growing thru the bottom and cut even with the top of the basket. If it went in it stayed in.
The home made wooden basket was cool.

Latest posts