• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bad Etiquette?

Just call out earmuffs before you start blabbing about the scores. Easy solution.

If you tell me my score before asking I will call you for a courtesy violation. Do it again and it's going to cost you a stroke.
How is this a courtesy violation if you say it when the player is not throwing?

what about when you have birdied 6 in a row. there is always that ******* that says, "man, you cant miss" or "how many straight is that?"

Some people don't want to know but if a guy will mentally crumble when you tell him that, he is weak. He would have crashed and burned either way.

Just curious, why did you tell him that?

I was genuinely saying it to have fun because it was a fun moment. We've been in groups together at other PDGA events. Always friendly to each other. There was no bad intention behind it and I was really surprised by his attitude at the end of the round.

How is this a courtesy violation if you say it when the player is not throwing?

"All players should conduct themselves in a disciplined manner, demonstrating courtesy and sportsmanship at all times, irrespective of how competitive they may be. This is the spirit of the game of disc golf."

I would argue that if I asked you not to tell me my score and you intentionally declined my request, that you would be going against the spirit of the game of disc golf. You would be stroked accordingly for doing so, and I would request that you be disqualified. Additionally, I would report you to the PDGA.

I would argue that if I asked you not to tell me my score and you intentionally declined my request, that you would be going against the spirit of the game of disc golf. You would be stroked accordingly for doing so, and I would request that you be disqualified. Additionally, I would report you to the PDGA.
You sound like a blast to play with.

It was unintentional. The dude choked. It rocked him mentally and complaining could have been a way to ease the pain.

Now that you have this experience, it would be unprofessional to do this in the future. But if someone is trying to mess with you, muahahaha. Here is a line that gets results, "You are playing so well today."

You sound like a blast to play with.

It's like asking someone not to smoke and having them blow smoke in your face. I would hope that the TD would agree that is a DQ'able offense and would report the person to the PDGA themselves.

It's like asking someone not to smoke and having them blow smoke in your face. I would hope that the TD would agree that is a DQ'able offense and would report the person to the PDGA themselves.
FUN. FUN. FUN!

Coming to disc golf after play college basketball, I can't believe how mentally weak most golfers are. Complaining about noise, people standing in the wrong spot, people telling them their score, give me a break. This is why it's hard for a lot of people to take golf and disc golf serious as a sport. Think about basketball, football, soccer players, etc. and the distractions that they perform under. You are either mentally weak, or you are not. Period. I understand and respect etiquette, but if you blame something like that on your loss, get yourself a binky and a blanket.

Team sports are a wildly different thing from solo sports. Especially the ones where each individual action is a pretty much discrete event that requires focused attention to detail.

Pretty sure no one would call Tiger Woods mentally weak (on the course at least) - apart from you, I guess.

"All players should conduct themselves in a disciplined manner, demonstrating courtesy and sportsmanship at all times, irrespective of how competitive they may be. This is the spirit of the game of disc golf."

That's just an intro to the competition manual. Show me in the rules where you can stroke someone for this. You can't just stroke someone for anything they do that you don't like.

Its not like that at all. Smoke is covered in 801.04.F, your violation is completely made up.

That's just an intro to the competition manual. Show me in the rules where you can stroke someone for this. You can't just stroke someone for anything they do that you don't like.

So I can't give someone strokes for playing too well? Shenanigans!!!
:D

Doesn't specifically say anything about a penalty stroke in the rulebook, however 3.3B3 clearly shows it would be grounds for disqualification.

Pretty sure no one would call Tiger Woods mentally weak (on the course at least) - apart from you, I guess.
Funny enough. Tiger is known to intimidate his opponents just by the way he acts on the course. Mentally breaking them before they even swing a club. He also throws tantrums.

I'm sure a bunch of disc golfers would say that isn't 'gentlemanly' or goes against the 'spirit of the game.'

Yet he's arguably the best person to ever pick up a club.

Play. To. Win.

Last edited:
Funny enough. Tiger is known to intimidate his opponents just by the way he acts on the course. Mentally breaking them before they even swing a club. He also throws tantrums.

I'm sure a bunch of disc golfers would say that isn't 'gentlemanly' or goes against the 'spirit of the game.'

Yet he's arguably the best person to ever pick up a club.

Play. To. Win.

Meh.

When disc golf is raking in millions of dollars worth of sponsorship and endorsements, and our top players are winning million dollar purses on a weekly basis, then I'll shrug my shoulders and overlook our top players acting like *******s on the course.

Telling him you are tied is along the same lines as-

Don't throw it in the water.

Watch out for those nasty trees left.

Wow you're 9 under!!!

Anything to get their focus off the shot and on something else. If you banter with your friends OK. But in a Tourney, definitely poor sportsmanship and deserves to be called out and disqualified if the behavior continues.