• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bag Help Please

Joemic

Par Member
I was wondering if you guys could spot any overlapping or holes in my bag. I've been afraid to move to more OS discs for fear of not being able to control them, so that's a likely issue. Anyway, here goes:

Drivers:
Avenger SS
Tourney Boatman
Opto Bolt

Fairway Drivers:
Dx Leopard
Dx Teebird
Star Teebird
Dx Archangel

Midrange:
ESP Buzzz
X Comet
Prodigy M4 Proto 400
Pro D Drone

Putters:
Prodigy PA4 Proto 400
Medium Voodoo
Dx Aviar
Challenger

If weights are needed in order to make judgment, let me know and ill update. Thanks!!

Keep your fairway driver line up. Ditch the drivers and mid slots. Choose two putters out of your putter line up and stick with them.

don't base holes in your bag off of the discs you carry. Base holes in your bag off of throws and distances you struggle with.

mid range

Keep your fairway driver line up. Ditch the drivers and mid slots. Choose two putters out of your putter line up and stick with them.

Ditch drivers, never ditch a mid range disc. Despite what some poeple on here say, you will learn more about how to shape a shot with a putter or a mid range than you ever will with a driver, if you are gonna keep a driver a fairway is best. But never abandon mid range disc, they will improve you game. Though this may not have been the intent, Hornets Nest in Charlotte is a skill test of mid range discs. It plays long, but with the proper par, if you can use a panther, a flat top rock, a buzz, a San Marino Roc, a pig, a gator, and anything else in the mid range range....you can score well.

I have a weak arm, I throw 300 with a driver at best. But I can keep pace because I know how to use a mid range disc, I am also good at approach which brings in the pig, the xd and many other discs. I throw side arm mainly, and don't get out past 300' normally. But I can keep pace with almost anyone because I have played Hornet's Nest daily for the last 5 years, and it made my weak arm learn to use a mid range. Which is why I think Hornet's Nest is the best designed course I have ever played, it does teach you how to play.

I'm not really one to give advice as I'm pretty new, but with the exception of your distance drivers your bag looks a lot like mine. I throw Leo's and Teebirds most of the time and I have a buzzz and comet. About 3 weeks ago a buddy traded me a Challenger and let me tell you it's really changed my game! Depending on the lie and distance of course I pull out the challenger more and more than my buzzz and comet now. I've nailed some great birdie putts from way out there. There is one difficult hole on my course that I use it to tee off with. Trust that challenger man. It's a great disc! anyway enough of my challenger love.

Drop the boatman and avenger ss..and choose one putter mold that you can drive, approach, and putt with. And pick between the comet and m4.

You sure do like understable discs... I say ditch the drivers except maybe the Avenger SS. Too much crossover between that and the Archangel, but with the Avenger being in better plastic I'd probably choose that. Keep both Teebirds. Star can fill the semi-overstable slot for you. Buzzz is irreplaceable, Drone is overstable, Comet is a must... I'd keep this lineup:

Avenger SS (straight at first, beats to super understable)
Leopard (It's a Leopard. Duh)
Star Teebird (Kind of overstable)
DX Teebird (Dead. Nuts. Straight. Then flippy.)
Buzzz (It's a Buzzz. Duh)
Comet (Understable)
Drone (Overstable)
Whatever putter you like best

I was wondering if you guys could spot any overlapping or holes in my bag. I've been afraid to move to more OS discs for fear of not being able to control them, so that's a likely issue. Anyway, here goes:

Drivers:
Avenger SS
Tourney Boatman
Opto Bolt

Fairway Drivers:
Dx Leopard
Dx Teebird
Star Teebird
Dx Archangel

Midrange:
ESP Buzzz
X Comet
Prodigy M4 Proto 400
Pro D Drone

Putters:
Prodigy PA4 Proto 400
Medium Voodoo
Dx Aviar
Challenger

If weights are needed in order to make judgment, let me know and ill update. Thanks!!

Pick one putter you do best with & get one(or more) backup for it. Pick one mold of putter for just driving/approaches. Next choose between the M4 & Comet. Also get a better plastic Drone so it stays overstable for you for a long time(or get a Gator). Also get another Buzzz. Choose between your Archangel & leopard for understable duties(I recomend the Leopard in a higher end plastic). Also lose the DX Teebird(your Star Teebird is just fine, if anything get another better plastic Teebird). Lose the Bolt it's most likely to "big" of a disc for you being a Speed 13) I recomend getting a Roadrunner in Star or Champ instead of your Avenger SS. Also for drivers stay away from low end plastic(unless you cycle them). Get multiple copies of the discs you like. Another option for your Mids is just say screw all your mids & just cycle some discs like a Roc or a disc similar to a Roc(good way to "disc down"). No matter what discs you decide to get make sure you stay consistent with your weights & use max weight putters.

thanks for all of the input fellas! I've ditched the drivers, but picked up a couple Discmania PDs for overstable duties. For mids, I've gotten down to the M4 and Buzzz.

Definitely going to look into some higher end plastics of the teebird and maybe the leopard. Broke my putters down to just the Challenger, but keep the PA4 in there for approaches and some drives.

If anyone has anything else to add let me know!

Avenger SS (straight at first, beats to super understable)
Leopard (It's a Leopard. Duh)
Star Teebird (Kind of overstable)
DX Teebird (Dead. Nuts. Straight. Then flippy.)
Buzzz (It's a Buzzz. Duh)
Comet (Understable)
Drone (Overstable)
Whatever putter you like best

This. Maybe even drop the Avenger SS.

Prior to posting this thread, I didn't know what I was doing with my bag. Thus, I posted every disc I owned. I took a lot of what you all said into account, and am now really seeing what I should do. Today, this is what I got my bag down to:

Drivers:
152g DX Teebird (a little beat already, but goes straight if I start it with a little hyzer. Lost the Star version, so I am looking into a more premium plastic straight disc)
170g (ish) DX Archangel (really beat in, great for hyzer flips and reliable right turns)
167g S-PD Freak (highest speed driver of my bunch. Just now changing my form to get the necessary power. Very straight when flexed)

Midrange:
168g ESP Buzzz (as people said: It's a Buzzz, duh)
165g X Comet (used this for a while just to critique my form. Recently used it for a round and it was amazing. Loved the plastic of the M4, but the Comet is just so good)
*Ti or Z Drone (I haven't gotten one yet, but definitely going to after playing in a heavy wind and wishing I had it!)

Putters:
169g Pro D Challenger (my go-to putter now. Definitely perform best with it)
174g PA4 (decided to use this guy for approaches, but I think I'm going to buy a couple more Challengers and start using those exclusively. Love them!)

Additions/Replacements I plan to make:
I love me some Discraft. Never realized it before, I suppose, but I think I'm going to start drifting towards their discs more:

Z or Ti Stalker: I want a disc that I can trust to just go straight, but get more distance than my Comet. I once posted a thread comparing this to a Teebird (which I now know wasn't a great comparison), and was persuaded to go Teebird. I like my Teebird, but I think the Stalker will be a more reliable simply straight control driver for my heavily wooded courses around here.

Deciding out of XL, Xpress, and Glide: Possible replacements for the Archangel, but I'm not even sure if I want to replace it. Wish it came in better plastic, but it doesn't!

Anyway, that's what I'm working with/thinking of. Let me know what ya think!

I'm partial to ESP FLX Drones. They're the most common, and they're awesome. I've had mine for a couple years and it's as stable as ever (probably not, but I can't tell any difference.). Ti is hard to see, and Z is harder to find. Basically, if it's not Pro-D, you're golden.

You could try a Z and ESP XL. They're significantly different stabilities. I find the Z to be very close to a Stalker, while the ESP are kinda flippy. Avenger SS would probably fit the "replacement Archangel" a little better, though. Glide also, but the glide doesn't feel like a driver; it feels like a mid.

I'm partial to ESP FLX Drones. They're the most common, and they're awesome. I've had mine for a couple years and it's as stable as ever (probably not, but I can't tell any difference.). Ti is hard to see, and Z is harder to find. Basically, if it's not Pro-D, you're golden.

You could try a Z and ESP XL. They're significantly different stabilities. I find the Z to be very close to a Stalker, while the ESP are kinda flippy. Avenger SS would probably fit the "replacement Archangel" a little better, though. Glide also, but the glide doesn't feel like a driver; it feels like a mid.

Thanks Dan! If the Z XL is similar to the Stalker, maybe I'll go with that one for my straight wooded option! Heard some other suggestions along those lines as well. I have an Avenger SS, but I have a lot of trouble getting it to turn right (don't think I have the power for the 11+ speed).

I would second this. the FLX Drones are the best (haven't thrown Ti though) but the Z's were all overweight, and didn't seem quite as stable as the FLX drones.

Maybe a utility disc like a Firebird/XXX/Predator for those crazy shots nothing else can handle. Only if it works into your style.

Iv'e got a buzzz and stalker, and while i like the stalker i prefer to just throw the buzzz instead. It seems for me the buzzz is more reliable than the stalker.
The stalker and the buzzz will fly about the same distance.

You can landfill a discussion of mine in 4 hours, but this has been in 'not bag suggestions and feedback' for a week????????