• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

"Baiting" in tournaments

I've seen TPRO do some baitin' at Ho Nets Nez. Nevermind, that was yamming, lol, but now I am left wondering what Yambaitin is.

that equates poor self-esteem on their part...don't let it get to you. They feel threatened and aren't true competitors

In tourneys I only used complementary terms for good shots. If a player on my card shanked one or missed a putt I would keep quiet. Especially if you could tell the guy was about to lose it.

When you get a pissed off player in your group he more often than not messes it up for everyone in the group. Players like that just suck all the fun out of playing in tourneys.

But if a guy would make a snarky comment my way I would give him one warning to shut it. The comments never bothered me I just consider it rude. If you need to go psychological to try and beat me then you've already lost.

If he went after me again I would go after him with no mercy until he was broken. It's not hard to do. Most guys that try mental tricks are really susceptible to them.

Noth'n like Bait" to my favorite show, "OH,, My Ball$ "
Idiocracia-new.gif

"You must want your face rec'ed"

yeah? yeah?!?!!?!?! yeah I know, dumb.

The other day I entered a tournament, and while i was in the middle of my throw a guy yelled fore! not gonna lie it distracted me! Then it ruined my round...Just gotta work on not letting t get in our heads

The other day I entered a tournament, and while i was in the middle of my throw a guy yelled fore! not gonna lie it distracted me! Then it ruined my round...Just gotta work on not letting t get in our heads

He yelled fore to distract you? or because a disc was about to hit someone? Because, no one cares if you're throwing if a disc is about to hit someone.

Minor threadjack here. Is there a consensus on calling foot-faults after this kind of scenario (so that the guy can re-throw with no penalty)? Do you view that as a willful circumvention of the rules or as using the rules to try and rectify an unfortunate situation?

He yelled fore to distract you? or because a disc was about to hit someone? Because, no one cares if you're throwing if a disc is about to hit someone.

Thats what I thought, but there wasn't anything! I wasn't close to winning anyhow, it was my first tournament, but it did leave a sour taste in my mouth

What's everyone elses stance on "baiting"?

An absolutely necessary skill.

Does not matter if you are playing for money or with your mates, if you miss the chance to poke fun or push the knife in a little further and even twist it, that's what you did, missed your chance.

...or not.

You could be a really nice guy with talent and this just isn't your bag.

Laughing is a great thing, I love it but it is usually at someone or something's expense. I don't remember laughing at the clouds but I have found the laughter come freely when the third disc in a row goes out to sea... I do not laugh at someone who is hurt, or innocent. I am not cruel.

Baiting, smak talk, what ever, part of the game.

"wow, you must be a rec player." I'll admit, it completely worked, I was pissed.

I would probably be thrilled that the guy just opened the door to screw with him. I am a "rec player," for the most part, and would enjoy trading verbal shots for the day; however, it seems to me (from the few times I have stepped outside my casual comfort zone) the highest skilled players I've thrown with seem to be above this sort of thing. On the other hand, maybe the guy saw you as a threat and felt the need for any edge he could get.

At the Int. level I dont think its really even an advantage, to many people that are not on the card to whoop his arse.

Minor threadjack here. Is there a consensus on calling foot-faults after this kind of scenario (so that the guy can re-throw with no penalty)? Do you view that as a willful circumvention of the rules or as using the rules to try and rectify an unfortunate situation?

That's not a bad idea, never thought of it.

As to the Calling of Foot Faults

I have seen this done in tourney's by guys who are buddies. One with a terrible drive and the other calls a foot fault, the thrower seconds it and re-tees. I think in some circumstances this can be used to bail someone out when something crappy happens that is not their fault but just like everything else it will get abused.

I wish someone would have called a foot fault on the last hole of our league round last night. During my run up, a girl on the hole parallel to us lands her disc on the front of my tee pad with no warning. Needless to say I instantly became a shankapotamus and took a 5 on a par 3.

the thrower seconds it and re-tees.

803.04 F The call may be made by any member of the group or an official. When the call is made by
a member of the group, it must subsequently be confirmed by another member of the group.

That sounds very wrong. How can the thrower second a penalty called on them?

As to the Calling of Foot Faults

I have seen this done in tourney's by guys who are buddies. One with a terrible drive and the other calls a foot fault, the thrower seconds it and re-tees. I think in some circumstances this can be used to bail someone out when something crappy happens that is not their fault but just like everything else it will get abused.

I wish someone would have called a foot fault on the last hole of our league round last night. During my run up, a girl on the hole parallel to us lands her disc on the front of my tee pad with no warning. Needless to say I instantly became a shankapotamus and took a 5 on a par 3.
Shankapotamus? Awesome...I would have let you re-throw.

I especially am susceptible to being distracted when people are talking behind me...LOUDLY...I hate to be unfriendly, but when I am putting for BIRDIE, shut the heck up...cuz they don't happen as often as I like.