• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bardu's Bag 2013 Redux

Bardu

* Ace Member *
Premium Member
My bag thread from earlier this year
2012 thread
2011 thread

Years playing/experience: 3rd year
Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: RH
Throwing Style: RHBH
Distance (avg/max) for putter/mid/driver: Wizard: 240/265'; Roc: 265/290'; TeeBird: 290/315'

Sex: M

Drivers
169 Champ Firebird
167 Champ TeeBird
165 DX TeeBird

Midrange
171 DX Roc

Putters
171 S Wizard
171 S Wizard

I prefer to 'disc down' and work with slower speed stuff. I also like as few molds as possible, so that I am learning to throw many different shots with each disc, as well as building familiarity and confidence with those discs.

I put a lot of work in my first couple of years and I feel like it is starting to pay off. After plateauing just shy of 300', I have had drives of 320+. My drives have noticably improved velocity. My putting is also much improved.

I have always loved base plastic, both for the feel and the flight. Fortunately or unfortunately, my drives are now traveling at high enough speeds that a direct tree hit early enough in the flight path now irreparably damages base plastic discs. I tacoed a brand new DX TeeBird and my treasured DX Roc that I've been using since 2011.

Also, I am going to move to Minneapolis/St. Paul. The courses there are much more wooded than the courses I have been playing. So for those two reasons, and also my progression, I would like to add premium plastic to my bag.

I'm thinking of switching from my beloved DX Rocs to the Buzzz. I have plenty of experience with Z Buzzzes. I anticipate being able to use them in a similar, workhorse, fashion. My only question is, would I need other midrange discs to compliment it (I'd prefer to stick to as few discs and molds as possible). I currently use my Rocs for everything from annys to hyzers. If I need more fade than my Roc offers, I power down on my Firebird. I could keep DX Rocs around for upshots and open courses, but I'd prefer to stick with the Buzzz in order to build rapport with it. I had been thinking about this change for some time. I have an old 169 Z Buzzz, I would like to find a slightly heavier one to be my workhorse.

I switched from Eagles to TeeBirds some months ago, and I prefer them, strongly. But I have not been able to get TeeBirds to hold an anny like my Eagles could. Is this my poor form? I have been considering adding a Champ Leopard to compliment the TeeBirds.

Discs I've previously worked with: PD, Sidewinder, JLS, Eagle, River, Leopard, Pain, Fuse, MD2, Comet, Axis, Vector, Aviar, Ion, Anode

Pain, Fuse, Buzzz and a Zone would work well for you. I threw pains for a while but eventually switched to icon Ghosts. I switched thr fuse out for a TP Tursas. I like trying out new midrange discs, have a new MVP Tensor in the bag now, need some more time with it but it is working well on approach shots.

Thanks! :)

I would prefer to cover all shots with as few discs as I can, one disc if possible! Is covering all my midrange shots with only a Buzzz just a pipe dream? Or perhaps I have been spoiled by using Rocs?

That being said, where would they need the most help? Do they hold annys well? Do they hold up in the wind? I used my Roc for both of those (beat, DX) it was touchy, but terrific, at annys. And I've heard many people say that DX Rocs don't hold up in wind (especially a beat one at the weight I was throwing) but I never had any problems.

I definitely prefer to power down on my Firebird for OS midrange and approach shots.

Last edited:
Go with the Ghost. It feels just like a roc with better plastics IMO. The new metallic legend line is pricey but so dangerously great. Flies like a baseline roc in uber premium plastic. The icon ghost is also a solid option. Both of these will hold any golf line you need with the familiar roc feel.

The disc golf gods do not favor me! I was alone at the course this morning and decided to set my bag down and just play with the Buzzz and a Wizard. Unfortunately, when I returned to retrieve my bag, it was gone. :( Needless to say I'll be discing down for a little while!

So I guess, hold the suggestions for the time being. With all the wooded tunnel shots in the Twin Cities, I think I'll try to pick up a Firebird for utility and wait on a replacent TeeBird.

The disc golf gods do not favor me! I was alone at the course this morning and decided to set my bag down and just play with the Buzzz and a Wizard. Unfortunately, when I returned to retrieve my bag, it was gone. :( Needless to say I'll be discing down for a little while!

So I guess, hold the suggestions for the time being. With all the wooded tunnel shots in the Twin Cities, I think I'll try to pick up a Firebird for utility and wait on a replacent TeeBird.

^That blows! So all your discs?

Any who, what about getting a production Roc3 for your wood/straight Roc and save the DXs for open and beat ones for turning shots. Your already used to the feel of Rocs so the R3 will fit right in.

Glad your back, missed your bag postings. :thmbup:

Thanks! :) Yes, they are all gone except the two I was carrying, a Z Buzzz and a S Wizard. I do have a backup putter at home.

I thought about a Roc3 too, that is a great idea. But for the time being, I think I'll stick with the Buzzz since its what i got. I'd like to pick up a Firebird and TeeBird first.

The Buzzz has been great so far, fast and glidey. Nice contrast to the slow and glidey Wizard.

Well, I stopped by Gotta Go Gotta Throw and got to handpick a few late birthday presents. :) So I'm back to comfortable now. Here's how she looks:

Drivers
167 Champ Firebird
165 DX TeeBird

Midrange
169 Z Buzzz

Putters
175 Glow Wizard
175 Glow Wizard

That store is amazing! I felt like a kid in a candy shop. I'll never buy a disc elsewhere, if I can help it!

Glad you could restock! If you need some midrange beef pick up a glow buzzz, buddy of mine swears by it!

I bet glow Buzzzes are sick!

But... I found an old DX Roc and just gotta go back to em. :) There's no reason to change up what's been working for me.

So... I just hit my first ace with the Buzzz, haha.

I don't think the DG gods can make up their minds concerning you lol

I don't think the DG gods can make up their minds concerning you lol

no kidding... sorry about the stolen discs, but here's an ace for ya! Congrats man...Looks like the Buzz is working out well...

It's funny. A Z Buzzz was one my first discs when I started last May, but I never warmed to it back then and usually was trying to throw my Nuke or Surge instead, plus the occasional Soft Magnet thumber to plant an approach shot. When I got laid off in April I started playing a lot and researching technique and such and for some reason I started playing the Buzzz again. I quickly realized that for some reason I let my form straighten out best when I throw my Buzzz and it quickly became one of my most thrown discs.

2 months later.

I now have a trio of Leopards for Fairways (plus an underused Teebird and a new Zombee) and I just added a 3rd Buzzz to my bag. Z, X and Ti now. Bought it yesterday and haven't gotten to throw it yet.

Sorry to hear about the bag and discs stolen, but you can't throw a short putt on these forums w/o hitting a thread w/folks gushing about the Buzzz. Like I just did heh

Thanks guys! :) Yeah I'd better stick with the Buzzz now!

Been playing with the same bag and picked up a 167 Champ TeeBird, so my bag looks like it did before, minus the Roc.

I've been working on sidearm, with pretty good results. Nothing spectacular, but I can get the firebird to hit its spots and fly like I want. Can't get any of my other discs to work just yet.

Been playing around with how I'm gonna cover my understable work. The wizards are pretty great at holding annys. I'm getting used to the Buzzz, and I think it will do will if I can learn to keep it from fading or rolling back left. My DX TeeBird is quite fussy to begin with, but hopefully I can get a handle on it. The addition of the champ can't hurt.

Picked up a DX Polecat just for the hell of it. :) Not sure if it'll go in the bag, but it should be fun to play around with!

Picked up a DX Polecat just for the hell of it. :) Not sure if it'll go in the bag, but it should be fun to play around with!

That's the best reason to get a disc! :thmbup:

Tbird will be happy

Continuing to do develop my forehand. I can probably get the Firebird out to 250-275.

Drivers
168 Champ Firebird
165 Champ Eagle X
168 Champ TeeBird
166 DX TeeBird
165 DX TeeBird

Midrange
169 Z Buzzz

Putters
175 Glow Wizard
175 Glow Wizard

Hey Andrew, ever try a Saint? I bet you'd like them. My forehand sucks but I am getting a decent "feel" for fh'ing saints and amps............jerry

Latest posts