• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

basic up shot

AbelRod1

Par Member
you are out side of putting distance (jump putting also) what shot do you throw in ideal conditions and wide open?
i would would usually throw nice safe putter hyzer or a straight run at it with again a putter
the reason i ask this is because watching videos of pros and recently http://www.blip.tv/file/3683479/ @ 00:15 :kilmo and @1:20, avery, you see them throwing anhyzers or flex "runs". i just wanted to see if anyone knows why. here avery could easily have thrown a hyzer and not taken OB into play

Probably becuase when an anny'd putter hits to the R of the basket (for a R hand player), it's going to curl back to the L most of the time. This gives an easier putt to finish.

Me, I'd give a jump putt with tons of spin on it. I can do that out to 100-120' and from there to about 180' I can do Beato's "punch toward the target" idea with a putter and be very close most of the time.

Daniel

I love throwing those anhyzer shots. Gives a good shot at running it but never goes more than 10 feet beyond the basket (plus almost no roll, ever). Unless I'm throwing down a hill at a basket I'll use those shots a lot.

AbelRod said:
the reason i ask this is because watching videos of pros and recently http://www.blip.tv/file/3683479/ @ 00:15 :kilmo and @1:20, avery, you see them throwing anhyzers or flex "runs". i just wanted to see if anyone knows why. here avery could easily have thrown a hyzer and not taken OB into play

I think Avery actually took the OB out of play more with that anny upshot. A hyzer might skip up over that curb. It looks like he overshot his anny upshot quite a bit, but it didn't hop above the curb so it still stayed in. They're landing their shots flat to both give them a run and ensure they don't skip or roll too far. They probably throw slight annys instead of straight shots for this simply due to preference, or maybe because its easier to give it a run and have it sit with anny.

I've been using that anny that flexs to flat approach a lot since I've started using the VP so much. I find I get very good range control with it. The disc also usually just sits down and skids a tiny bit instead of skipping or rolling.

Something to take into consideration while watching the top pro's making shots like these, they can make the 15-20' come back put much more consistently than the rest so they have nothing to lose, as they make more of these long ones than they miss in comeback putts. Me outside of 75' I aim for the drop in. I know my putts are not good enough in the 15-20' range I will not give the basket a run at all in competitive play. When my putting catches up to where it was, I may reconsider that rule I have set for myself.
It is hard to lay up when not that far out when I know how good putting them in from that far feels.

agreed with the above about the skip/roll of the hyzer. I will usually throw a flick anny up instead of a hyzer with my putter from this range. even with a down slope behind the pin, an anny will sit, where as a hyzer will use the hill and roll, likely out of my "gimmie" range.

it is a safer shot/run.

yeah thsoe videos they were running at the basket and thats a shot where it will not go too far past if you miss.

masterbeato said:
it is a safer shot/run.

yeah thsoe videos they were running at the basket and thats a shot where it will not go too far past if you miss.

But doesn't this depend on the height of the shot? In other words, if it flexes, it's going to go a bit further than just a shot that's hyzering out, right?

well since i have posted this i have been working on this shot and 1. its a fun shot and 2 its a safe run/up shot. it doesnt go to far past and its almost always going to sit

patdabunny said:
masterbeato said:
it is a safer shot/run.

But doesn't this depend on the height of the shot? In other words, if it flexes, it's going to go a bit further than just a shot that's hyzering out, right?

yes, but those shots never hyzered out they landed flat.

if it's open, i throw a flex shot with a stable putter too. if you plan on the disc breaking left near the basket, it's got a chance but never goes too far past. like others said, you have to be confident in 20 footers for the comeback.

Latest posts