• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Basket at Costco...

just threw one together. for $70 its a steal. doesn't catch incredibly well after my first 50 or so putts, but a few inner chains look like they'll fix that. its got stakes to secure it to the ground as well. it makes a nice addition to my small backyard. as has been stated, don't even bother picking up the discs that come with it.

Attachments

• dgbasket.jpg
    dgbasket.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 193
Fabbing up another 3 1/4" spacer to raise the crown so the chains hang freely instead of sitting in the basket . And I'm prolly gonna add inner chains.
If it's the same design as the original InStep, you might have the top and bottom poles swapped. I did that the first time I assembled my InStep and the chains touched the bottom of the cage.

My wife took a picture of this basket at Costco today. Some of you were refering to item #631310, which this is labeled as, but this one is by Park & Sun. There are some differences that I can see between this and the InStep basket. Does anyone know about this basket? Is it as good (cheap but usable) as the InStep basket? I am concerned that the pole attaches to the base by only 3 bars and not 5, like the InStep.

picture.php
Still no 631310 products at Houston Costco's. :\

I like the color

The 'Costco' basket is the standard Instep basket although mine is red color (I like your yellow/green/orange!). These baskets are all over the internet with prices starting at about $75.00 (which is what I paid for mine on eBay). There are many threads about this basket (mostly about adding chains). Here's mine when I first got it:
P1010005.jpg

You can see in the pictures that it's pretty well made. The metal frame is a little smaller wire diameter than an Innova DisCatcher & the chains are smaller size but it has some good welds & is pretty sturdy! It catches discs & seems like it's closer to regulation than the Traveler & other portable baskets Innova sells.
When I went to Home Depot/Lowe's for added chains they did not have the same size in stock. I bought a slightly larger size for my added chains. Chain by the link is not exactly cheap & it ended up costing me about $30-35.00 if I remember right. Here's my basket with the added chains:
instepwithchains.jpg

While I will say that when I first got the basket I would practice putting almost every day. It's very easy to set up & not overly heavy to throw into the back of my car & take to work or whatever. I would say that it helped my putting to some extent. But I get bored easily & over time it doesnt get out much anymore. I will bring it out from time to time for tourny's where we need an extra pin position, etc. but it mostly sits in my garage now collecting dust. With all this talk about it maybe I'll take her out for a spin soon!

I bought the park and sun one from Costco after a day when I missed 15 putts from 15 feet. I had just started playing and needed to improve my putting bad and this was a great fix. For $60 buck I got to increase my putting ability to the point that I'm around 80% from the circle now. They are a great investment when you are starting out and it can take 15 footers all day. As soon as I started getting a little heat on my putts I had to add an inner row of chains to avoid blow throughs (6 chains at 20 inches in length, 12 S-hooks and some channel locks did the trick (search for a thread called home basket upgrade that I started there is a guy that told me how to do it)), and now that I am hitting the longer putts the basket is falling apart and the pole is bending. (I actually just ordered a disc nation liberty basket today.) the dimensions on The basket dimensions are off, and it is not welded very well. But that being said I would recommend the basket to anyone who is just starting or only wants to practice at home 20 minutes or so a week. Any more then that and you should just spend the extra $100 or so to get a better basket.

I bought my Park and Sun on clearance for $35 at Costco last year, they marked them down when they only had a few left.

They are a little flimsy and the bolt holding the top of mine stripped from being taken apart too much (five times lol).

I replaced the bolt with a higher grade and welded it all together. It is very sturdy now, hasnt bent or anything. That is with hauling it in my truck to league at least ten times and putting on it daily for almost a year.

They are back in stock at my local Costco. Mine has held up nicely in the backyard throughout the winter. :thmbup:

Picked up mine a little over a week ago at the Leesburg, Virginia Costco. $69.99, can't beat that. Got a set of inner chains at the local Home Depot, that was like another $30, and well worth it. Took maybe 10 minutes to get the inner chains installed.

Catches great, perfect for backyard practice!

Attachments

• Basket - smaller pic.jpg
    Basket - smaller pic.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 98
Picked up mine a little over a week ago at the Leesburg, Virginia Costco. $69.99, can't beat that. Got a set of inner chains at the local Home Depot, that was like another $30, and well worth it. Took maybe 10 minutes to get the inner chains installed.

Catches great, perfect for backyard practice!

i really like mine
added 6 inner chains
cant be beat

Lol. Ask all the trolls in my thread about these. Oh wait, they are a banned. NM. Add chains and be merry. Or don't, but their will will be cut throughs.

These baskets just showed up at a local costco in Canuckistan. Cool to see but I don't think I need another practice basket.

My friend's wife works at Costco and bought one of these for him. Anyone mind sharing what length you use for the inner and outer chains? Did they cut the lengths of it for you or did you use your own tools? What tool did you use? How do you keep the inner set of chains from moving? Zip ties?

We do not have access to much beyond your standard toolbox of drivers, wrenches, files and whatnot. It would help if home depot or w/e would be doing the chain cutting. Ty in advance.

edit - I found the chain gauge is 2/0 straight link coil, but I would like lengths.

broke mine in under a year. never lifted/ leaned/ pushed/ pulled/ on the basket and it went from bent and crooked to broken welds. also doesn't catch very well.. i never bothered to add chains because it makes it more challenging but i've noticed i have to change my putting style if i wanna make em stick, which doesn't help me on the course. i banged 20 foot shots in my room all winter, and i dont miss those anymore so i guess theres some benefit, but ill say its a total relief putting at professional baskets when im playing a round.

A buddy of mine just got one, so I helped him fixt it.
I don't know the length of the chains
I made a bigger ring for the chains to attach to
Removed 2 links off of all the outer chains (use these to attach the new chains)
Then added 6 inner chains

It works well (for a $69 basket, plus his kids got 3 discs)

How are these holding up for everyone, I'm thinking of buying one.

I don't know if they're the same all the way across the board, but mine is the one with the orange chain ring and bucket with the black poles and stand. The brand is Park and Sun Sports.

The plus side is that mine caught pretty well out of the box, much better than an InStep. Still, I added a second ring of chains to the inside with ease (and $15) and it is now just as good as the real thing. It's a pretty good basket.

The negatives are that it is a little fragile where it screws together at the bucket and stand. The problem is that the threaded holes the bolts coming out of the posts screw into are just in a metal plate about 1/8" thick, where it should have been an actual nut welded on the inside. All it takes is for someone to lean on it or try to tighten it too much and the threads stripped out. I fixed mine by knocking out the two bolts that came in it and dropping a thicker, coarser threaded rod through it and used locking nuts to hold that in place. Then I used a tap to cut new threads in the base and other pole for the rod to thread into. That works much better than the original, but I'm also careful to not let anyone else put it together or take it apart.

Aside from that problem, it's a very sturdy, good catching, good looking basket.

Yours has threaded bolts? Mine has pins that slip through the holes.

Do you leave yours outside? Why even use the bolts? The weight of the basket will keep everything together.