• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Best beginner drivers I have found.....

I got a chance to huck a tee bird dx 165 yesterday. I don't throw too much stable stuff, unless it's into the wind, and was worried this might be too stable for me. I am recovering from a torn calf muscle and not able to throw full power yet, but I can tell this disc will stay in my bag for a while. All of my lighter , under stable stuff , always runs the risk of turning over and gliding a mile to the right. The bird seems to want to hold a decent line without the worry of turning over. You can count on the slow speed stability to bing it back from accidental anhyzer release angles( at least at my power). As I warmed up and started putting a little oomph in my throws it behave exactly same, just held the line a little further before beginning it's fade. And it glides out in its fade rather than spiking out. If it has same flight tendency when I am able to throw full power, this will become a new favorite for drives with trouble to the right. One tree hit deflection to the sidewalk put a hurtin on the dx plastic . This disc was a substitute for another disc that was out of stock on a recent order. Once the dx gets beat to death, I will be looking to replace in champ.

Last edited:
I recommend a Dx Cobra mid range driver. It's not completely understable so you won't learn to hyzerflip everything, and it's not overstable so you wont learn to torque everything. If you're talking about non mid range drivers i'd suggest a gazelle or TL

Champ TB's are totally different discs then DX. I would say noobs should throw Dx Teebirds or Leopards. Shark, Roc and Aviar.

Kind how thinking the bird would fit......

I recommend a Dx Cobra mid range driver. It's not completely understable so you won't learn to hyzerflip everything, and it's not overstable so you wont learn to torque everything. If you're talking about non mid range drivers i'd suggest a gazelle or TL
I am getting to the point all my us stuff has to be thrown on hyzer flip and prob not helping with form. A good hyzer flip is fun but looking to move forward with proper, level release back hand. The dx bird felt like it fit this bill for me. I think I have dx gazelle laying that I found early on, but thought it would be too stable at the time.

Champ TB's are totally different discs then DX. I would say noobs should throw Dx Teebirds or Leopards. Shark, Roc and Aviar.

I know champ behaves more stable and was thinking closer to 160 in weight, or would tl be a better fit in champ. (Tl is supposedly slightly understable compared to bird correct?). I do have champ leopard around 170, and it is not the right leopard for me, and way outgrown my 150 dx leopard. My fist impressions with Tb were positive, but only able to muster 250 on bum calf right now

I know champ behaves more stable and was thinking closer to 160 in weight, or would tl be a better fit in champ. (Tl is supposedly slightly understable compared to bird correct?). I do have champ leopard around 170, and it is not the right leopard for me, and way outgrown my 150 dx leopard. My fist impressions with Tb were positive, but only able to muster 250 on bum calf right now

I throw my beat in Star TB's 320. My Champ fades out earlier and goes about 20-30 feet shorter. I only throw it into headwinds really.

Maybe lighter might work, I dont mess with lighter weight TB's so not sure really how different they are.

A new Champ TL will be more stable then a Champ Leo.

I would say 165-170 Champ or Star TL and 165-170 Pro Leopard for step ups from DX.

Haven't tried my 170 champ leopard into head wind. Just kind of set to the after first tries on the course. But it's been a while, so maybe it fit my bag better after calf gets better I will experiment further with it. The only place I could use it before , was into a decent head wind, and still didn't seem to be satisfactory for me. I try to keep my bag lighter these day and don't carry windy day stuff unless it's wind when leaving the house. But really haven't sorted that side of things out yet. But getting it narrowed down for average day favorites.

Drivers
Maximizer
Qjls does hadle mild head wind
Blizzard wraith
Tb will be staying for now,might hold up in wind don't know yet
( none of these hold up into headwind)

Mids
Mako III does what you tell it
Wasp trusted to not turn over and great for shaping around stuff

Putters
Bb aviar diver star, all about how pointer finger lays in bb on grip, falls flat and stops. Just feels right. Can rip at it with no turn issues, but big lip hangs up me
Classic aviar, glides a little better and dx plastic is grippier , like it better for 20-40 ft range. Better for shorter approach 50-150 for me.

Looks pretty good. You could also maybe step into a Star/Champ Valkyrie 165-170 for headwind distance and once it beats in and you throw farther you can still use it as a turnover control driver.

A TL and Pro Leopard could give you a long life of use as well.

I do have a star Valkyrie I found 168 I think ? I did give a good rip into the wind the day I found it, and it went pretty far with out turning over...... I was just not in in the mood to add anther disc to the bag at the time and forgot about it. Plus I had called the # on the the disc an expected a call back for star plastic! but never heard back. It's also a grass green in color? Why would you make a disc that color, and why would buy that color?

I do have a star Valkyrie I found 168 I think ? I did give a good rip into the wind the day I found it, and it went pretty far with out turning over...... I was just not in in the mood to add anther disc to the bag at the time and forgot about it. Plus I had called the # on the the disc an expected a call back for star plastic! but never heard back. It's also a grass green in color? Why would you make a disc that color, and why would buy that color?

Cool, yeah dark green sucks.

A Valk into a headwind? Maybe a tailwind...

Read the thread! Not for a newer player with lower power. They still have decent stability not to turn and burn at under 300 feet. Champ or Star.

Yeah if you're throwing 350+ then no of course not. ;)

EDIT- Yep and elevation too.

Last edited:
I have not played at elevation but what I understand is it makes a pretty big difference.

If you add one disc a 165-170 Pro Leopard would be an excellent choice. It will beat in some but not extremely fast like DX.

I have not played at elevation but what I understand is it makes a pretty big difference.

If you add one disc a 165-170 Pro Leopard would be an excellent choice. It will beat in some but not extremely fast like DX.

We went to visit some family in South Dakota this fall, they have pretty nice course I reviewed (forgot name all the sudden?). Point being, they are at about 1400 elevation. All the sudden I was turning over everything in my bag. So yes there is a big difference. But once I was able to adjust to the conditions, it was a blast. I could turn it over when needed, and shape it to the right with ease. Could even turn over hyzer flips up hill, and a few shots called for it. Managed to post a few solid rounds just over par.

Well, 4 pages in, and no mention of the Diamond, the Beginner friendly driver by definition:

$T2eC16hHJHEE9ny2tll!BRL76)Hs8w~~60_57.JPG