• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Best beginner drivers I have found.....

banknwank

Eagle Member
Keep in mind these suggestions are based on high altitude, and discs don't behave as under stable as they might in lower elevations. I have found discs weights between 155-165 to be good for my beginner arm (in calm conditions). My favorite drivers (and I have spent way too much on finding them) are as fallows.

Millennium qjls most forgiving and consistent

Little flyer maximizer, most distance with least effort. I highly recommend this driver for newb players.

Blizzard wraith. I wouldn't have the arm for this driver in heavier plastics, but if have seen 350+ with this disc. Advanced newb/intermediate disc. Blizzard beast might be better for beginner trying to find that300 mark.

^its so US but the plastic comes in an opto like blend really gummy and actually a good SERIOUS noob disc.
I believe there is also the optimizer which I might be confusing but both are very understable and cheap.

Last edited:
Taught my friends mostly with midranges to teach a bit of technique. Drivers that helped a bit down the road, leopard and beast. The beast in particular was very versatile, can overhand, roll, flick, backhand well with that disc even as a beginner from my experience.

This might be hard to hear, but drop the blizzard. Once you can get your jls out to 350' then break the wraith back out.

I love the beast as well, also nice that you can pick it in light dx for cheap.

I'd say if you don't want to go mids starting our, start with a good, controllable fairway driver like a leopard, eagle, zombee or volt. These will help give you a little more distance but make sure you're learning good form if you really want to start getting some distance out of them.

These are some I like and I would recommend to a beginner.

Discraft Zombee
Discraft Comet
Discraft XL
Discraft Glide
Latitude 64 River
Innova Cheetah
Gateway Magic

These are just some that I have experience with and these Speed 7 and under discs should be great for someone just starting out.

Best beginner driver IMO: FD. Very controllable, great glide.
E: (Take my advice as a grain of salt, drivers I've owned can be count with two hands.. :))

Last edited:
I'm sure any understable mid to fairway will do. Recently I have switched to left handed. A beat in Eagle is working the best for me. I think it comes down to grip feel/preference. The Eagle seems forgiving but I can still see my flaws in the flight.

I am part of the minority that didn't get good results with a Leopard.

To answer your question, Z XL, Opto River, or a used Champ Eagle.

Give the Leopard a chance tho.

Didn't have to elaborate more this morning..........

I would like to keep this thread more about beginner "drivers" and not about use your midrange....... And most beginners are not throwing over 300, but can benefit from things like blizzard plastic. I have never reached 350 with a mid, but can do it with my blizzard wraith without getting out of control.

My qjls is a comfortable 300 disc. And capable of a lot more, but I use it as my placement driver. Can trust it not to fade or turn too hard around 300 ft +/-. The q plastic is like z or champ.

But the little flyer is, by far , the easiest to huck. Not necessarily the longest, but easiest. It's a165 in competition plastic. The plastic is a little gummier than dx but not quite champion. I have it in a star like rubbery plastic , but I don't think they fly as friendly. It's a little bigger in diameter than most drivers and can glide for days. My best throw with this disc was 450. And it never turned over or faded. It was a down hill throw, so prob around 350 on the flat. This disc can help curb your beginner hyzer blues and make the game more fun. It's also great for uphill drives. I love this disc so much that I tried the optimizer. Little flyers beginner mid is not for me. It is super flippy and 150 ft of power can turn it into a roller. But it could be of use to younger players. The rim is tiny.

The thing is, people on here preach it all the time because it works in the long run.

Disc down.

If you can learn to throw your putters/mids/and slow fairways well, then you can throw the high speed stuff to its true potential.

Even blizzard discs make you learn improper form.

Just because its lighter doesn't mean you aren't compensating for its speed in the wrong way.

Neutral putter. Neutral mid. Neutral slower fairway driver. That's the best beginner set up IMO.

If you're throwing 300 to 450 feet, then you are no longer a beginner. Throw your q most of the time, blizzard wraith with the wind, and something stronger for into the wind (Latitude bolt).

If you're trying to help out other beginners, then, (drum roll), use your mids.

Beginners should pick up a Comet (I like Z plastic). That disc will teach you proper form better than anything else. Get that out to 250-300' and you should be able to work almost any other disc.

That's the thing........cracking 300 didn't happen till I discovered these discs . . In the process of experimenting with different drivers over the summer my power has improved, but these discs have helped me over the hump. The 450 ft drive was, as mentioned, a down hill drive and only happened once. I still throw my share of drives under 300. Some where along the line of struggling with drivers that were too fast for me I gained enough technique to over power my beginner friendly leopard in 150. When I gave up on drivers and listened to all the experts,I went back to my leopard and found it turned over on me. Even when thrown on hyzer flips it would roll all the way over. So that tells me that you don't have throw your mids all day to learn how to throw better.

I guess the definitive answer to good beginner drivers is.....it's all relative. But the discs I mentioned were helpful for me. What helped me find the maximizer was joes flight chart. I have found his power rating system to be accurate. I simply looked for the most distance potential , mixed with the least power rating, and that was the maximizer. You don't have to put 400 ft of power into this driver to get a straight flight , and it doesn't hyzer out at the end. But it can go a lot farther than any of my my mids (in my hands). I know some of you guys can throw putters a mile.
I have also found more distance, on average, with blizzard plastic in a beast and wraith. They seem to get that extra 30-50ft in the end of flight , where other discs might hyzer out. They seem to ,sometimes, glide right up to the point of loosing all forward momentum (stalling out) and just flutter to the ground. I think a newb hanging around 250-270 ft with a leopard , could probably find the 300 mark with a blizzard beast, or maybe a lighter dx beast.

I must concede

My earliest improvements in form came with the use of a neutral flying mid. And it's still in my bag. But , I found about 230 to be my max , controllable , mid range .

The thing is, you can strong arm a disc out to 300'. I know, because I did...with Blizzard plastic.

It wasn't until I dedicated myself to revamping my form that I was able to do it with accuracy, and add distance. Field work with putters and mids is the way it's done. I added about 50' this summer alone...and would think I'll be able to add a bit more next year.

^its so US but the plastic comes in an opto like blend really gummy and actually a good SERIOUS noob disc.
I believe there is also the optimizer which I might be confusing but both are very understable and cheap.
don't rag on the optimizer it's a great get out of trouble/big hyzerflip/easy roller disc I love em!
I'm wantin to try out the maximize soon