• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Disc Golf Trip

BTdrumCPT

I am thinking about taking a pretty extensive disc golf trip next summer. Unfortunately, I do not have the time to go any sooner. But, I am starting all the planning and money saving now. The link to the map of the trip is http://g.co/maps/a2pt . I was wondering if there were any other stops I should make, good (cheap) places to stay for a night or two, decent places to eat, or anything else I should know while on this trip. Any info/help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! -T Fann

You're passing by some really good courses which I'd suggest you try to play (I'm guessing you're aware of them but ...) if you've got time.
Sharp Springs in Smyrna TN just outside Nashville or Cedar Hill in Nashville.
North East of Bowling Green near Mammoth Cave there's Holler in the Hills (a top ten or fifteen IMO). Freeman Lake in Elizabethtown KY is good too. While you're visiting Katie in L'ville I'd play Charlie Vettiner (site of 2012 Masters I believe). Lodbell Reserve or Hoover Dam in Columbus are worthwhile as well.

Looks like a good trip as is, but my two cents ...

More good to great courses you will be close to:
Yulga, Stevens Point, WI
Standing Rocks Park - Plover, WI
Sandy Point Resort - Lac du Flambeau, WI

First of all, the top ten are not necessarily THE TOP TEN, they are the top ten with 20+ reviews (or the top ten out of 414 courses).
Research the top courses with 5 reviews and see what you get.
Secondly, driving 500 miles per day sounds brutal. I would stick to the east corrider, less driving,less money and plenty of great golf.

Research the top courses with 5 reviews and see what you get.

5+ reviews with 5 to 5 discs yields nothing.
5+ reviews with 4.5 to 5 discs yields most of the courses listed in his trip.

I think he's on the right track.

I would suggest a route thats far shorter has more great courses and would be a better pace......but it would not include Katies House. LOL have fun but I'd agree you are driving past some great courses and skipping a ton of incredible disc golf...Katie better be worth it

Indeed,katie better be awesome.

On a side note your first course on there is my home course,see ya then ;) :).

I wouldn't even attempt that I love road trips. you at least 3-4 road trips there crammed into a week. There is no need to try to hit the top 7 of the 10 on here in a week. Also the top ten will be different next year as well. Bryant Lake used to be in the top ten. It has to do with population density and opinions only. You are just going to miss a lot of great courses that way. I would focus one on direction and work from there.

I'd do south/west (Florida/Georgia/North Carolina courses)
or
west/northwest (Kentucky/Tenn/Pennsyvania)
or
North (Missouri/Minn/Mich)

although being from the midwest
I would focus one trip up the mississippi (Missouri/Illinois/Iowa/Wisconsin)
and the other through Indiana/Ohio/Michigan

That would just cover all the gems

That being said if you end up in around Lake Michigan/lake Superior and don't get the information you need. Send me a PM, I can help. I think I would go see Katie and focus on Flyboy Avation, Appling/Augusta, GA and Charlotte, NC area. More bang for the buck. The Sinks, Renny, Hornet's Next, Steady Eddy, Hippodrome, Nevin, Richmond Hill...I haven't even looked at a map of what is out there and I wanna go!!!!

Pfft, you guys are wussies, 500 miles in a day is nothing.

That said I would play the Georgia courses head up and hit Idlewild, Lincoln Ridge, and Mt Airy around Cincy. Then head north to Michigan, maybe hit Brent Hambrick in Columbus on the way. I would recommend hitting the Ann Arbor Area, Hudson Mills, Independence Lake, and Black Locust, then head west and hit Flip and the Ludington Courses. From there head over to Wisconsin and Minnesota before heading back south.

thanks to everyone! keep the comments coming! i understand it is a lot of driving and i know that the "top 10" may not be the true top ten, but i feel like this is a once in a lifetime opportunity, so i'm going to do it. if i can get the time away from work, i may try to make the trip longer. that way i can enjoy the courses a little more and maybe play a few others. it sounds like i am missing quite a few courses in the TN area. once again, please keep the recommendations coming. thanks!

On a side note your first course on there is my home course,see ya then ;) :).

I love Flat Rock DGC. I have made a couple trips to play that course and to play Flyboy up in Whitesburg, GA. Both are great courses. If anyone is near those courses, definitely take the time to play them. It will be well worth it.

Just another additional note...

You should be planning at least 2 full days for Highbridge Hills. I played disc golf non-stop and I only got to play every course once in two days...plan accordingly there.

If you are decide to drive through Nashville to Louisville...I recommend several courses in Bowling Green, KY, which is on I 65 between Nash and Louisville.

There are several good courses in Nashville. Read the reviews on each course.

I've played Blueberry Hill and I've played Sandy Point Resort DG ranch and personally I'd rather play the Sandy Point DGC and if you can spend the night there. http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=748 You'll really fall in love, like I did. Just remember to grab some groceries before ya get to the DG resort.

I'd also suggest playing Deis Hill DGC in Dover if your traveling from Columbus, Ohio to the Deer Lakes DGC in the Pittsburgh area. about 40 miles out of the way, but worth it and you can still get to Pittsburgh from Dover by either traveling on rt. 22 or rt. 30, though I would suggest using rt. 22. But if you go rt. 30 way the back 9 at the East Liverpool DGC is really sweet, the front 9 so so, or you can drive from Dover up to the Canton, Ohio area and if your a pro football fan stop by the Hall of Fame (the gift store is free to enter) play the Canton DGC (New baskets as we speak in the ground) and drive to Pittsburgh using I- 76, lots of good choices, lots of good camp grounds. In fact..... There's a camp ground at Portage Lake State Park (Ohio) and there's a pretty challenging DGC at that park if you choose to go that way. email me a couple days before you get this way and I'll give you more info if you wish.

Last edited:
If you have time, I highly recommend Mont du Lac near Duluth, MN. There are two courses (5$/day), camping (5$/night), bar and grill on site. The courses are incredible.

If you are making a Louisville to St. Louis leg (or vice versa), there are some great courses not far off I64.
Foundation Park in Centralia, IL offers a true Championship 18 (Long tees+Long baskets are upwards of 900) and a "Rec" 9 (which is still a great course. It's Rec only because of it's 18 hole counterpart) 4.5-Star

Mesker Park in Evansville, IN is a great 18 hole course (and my favorite home course) inside a very low-use city park. Lots of mature trees, great use of elevation & lots of OB. 4-Star

Seviren Lang in Georgetown, IN. Course is newly redesigned and is a great course. Plenty of distance & variety. Great use of the land provided and not much else going on other than DG. 4-Star

Depending on when you're coming through, I could guide you at Mesker (or find someone who can).

If you are decide to drive through Nashville to Louisville...I recommend several courses in Bowling Green, KY, which is on I 65 between Nash and Louisville.

Holler in the Hills is a private course just outside of BG. It's a must play if you don't mind getting out of town a bit. Make sure you give Howie some advance notice. Other than that, this is my opinion on BG.

Must Play:
Kereiakes
Hobson Grove

Might Play:
Ephram White
BG Tech
Lovers Lane

Don't Play:
Preston Miller
Phil Moore
Basil-Griffin*

*Basil is not a bad course, but construction has left some holes unplayable. Also, if you don't play in off hours, you will hit someone.