• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best driver for straight shots?

Donald Smith

Bogey Member
I was on top of a hill (#3 hole in Kirksville, MO) and throwing for the hole which is 400' away I think. I've tried several discs, and they all pretty much do the same thing. They fly out level ( no need to throw with Alt, since your a good 20 to 30' above the hole) then they turn right at almost a 90 degree angle and go almost as far to the right as they do forwards. I am throwing forearm, since it's a dog leg to the right.

I'm thinking if I had a disc that didn't fade so much, it would just keep going straight and land closer to the hole instead of off to the right.

The Starfire and FL look interesting. I've never throw either.

Can anyone suggest a straight driver? and share how it will preform off the top of a hill?

I know it's possible, I was at another course and saw this guy throw a disc that I thought was going to ace, but missed the basket by about 5 feet. It sure looked like it was a 280' straight throw with little to no fade, and I didn't see any S in it either.

Thanks!
Donald

My 172g star ORC flys straight as an arrow, its the straightest flying disc I have. Ive heard many disc golfers say the same thing.

of the drivers I am using and have experience with my striker seems to have the least fade for me on my FH shots.

The new Discraft Stalker is really straight.....as a driver. On big downhill shots a stable or slightly understable midrange or even a stable putter will go the straightest if you can trust it to go the distance. Try these out, they won't hyzer off line much at all. A 400 foot shot losing 30 feet in elevation throws more like 250-280 maybe. What would you throw for that flat distance?

^ the stalker is a great straight flying disc, it just dosent go as far as my orc will.

On a downhill shot like that you want something a little less stable...try a leopard

I perfer the XS for straight drives. I also make my discs work for me, if there is room. I got a beat Rpro Boss that i hyzerflip and can make it shoot fairly striaght if i hyzer it enough, same with my FLX Surge SS. Work the disc.

Sounds like you need a Surge SS....or an Avenger SS.....

i like an xpress or a stalker. i might even throw a buzzz on that hole from the sound of it...

Viking

Stalker

Star SL

SOLS

JLS

I personally use a Pro Wraith. Once you break them in a little, they fly dead straight forever.

Stalker or Teebird would be my recommendation. I have a 170ish Champ orc that flies pretty darn straight when thrown right, as well. If I was playing that hole, I'd probably be using my Orc

"Roc" Hudson...

Lotsa good thoughts about the best straight driver. I sincerely appreciate it!

Now, what's the best gay driver?

rock_hudson_2.jpg

:gross:

I was on top of a hill (#3 hole in Kirksville, MO) and throwing for the hole which is 400' away I think. I've tried several discs, and they all pretty much do the same thing. They fly out level ( no need to throw with Alt, since your a good 20 to 30' above the hole) then they turn right at almost a 90 degree angle and go almost as far to the right as they do forwards. I am throwing forearm, since it's a dog leg to the right.

I'm thinking if I had a disc that didn't fade so much, it would just keep going straight and land closer to the hole instead of off to the right.

The Starfire and FL look interesting. I've never throw either.

Can anyone suggest a straight driver? and share how it will preform off the top of a hill?

I know it's possible, I was at another course and saw this guy throw a disc that I thought was going to ace, but missed the basket by about 5 feet. It sure looked like it was a 280' straight throw with little to no fade, and I didn't see any S in it either.

Thanks!
Donald

After reading this again, I would highly recommend a Champ Viking.

I still miss my Champ Viking. I had one that was perfectly broken in, and I lost it the first time I played this new course. I still don't see how I lost a bright red disc.

If I understand you correctly, you stall then hyzer badly. The elevation may be the thing that's contributing to that. If you run out of spin before you run out of forward movenent and you're 30' up, the fade will be drastic. You might try discing down even further than what has been recomended. Or try to throw more parallel to the terrain. This will keep the nose down further. Or better yet develop more snap in your wrist.