• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Best short approach disc?

I use Wizards for a lot of approaches, but the most reliable approach disc is the Vibram VP. So predictable in all regards.

I'll try to keep it simple with a SSS wizard thrown on a smooth hyzer. Equally as important as disc selection on this shot is technique. I throw from a standstill, back foot behind and to the right of my plant foot (RHBH), use a three finger birdie grip, keep my eye on the landing zone and pull through on a straight line, allowing the disc to rip out gently rather than releasing intentionally. This last part is super important.

For dicey approaches I love thumbers too - for some reason putters pan SO SLOWLY when throw OH. With a little practice you can get them to land on the flightplate ("pancake" style) or fully flip and spike with a little more height and angle. This works great with a rhyno but I need to put in more with the zone that I'm bagging now.

The VP was a revelation to me when I first got it. It was accurate both on a hyzer and short sidearms through the shrubbery.
This summer after the Trilogy Challenge, though, I really grew to like Westside's base plastic. So now I am using a BT Medium Harp and liking it. Does what the VP does, but feels better.
(To be fair, Vibram rubber is more durable)

Now I have had problems with Vibram, well a problem. I have a Summit, Ascent, and Lace. And all three got really flippy really fast. As they get beat in they lose their stability, I haven't tried microwaving them yet, but really, that's not what you want, especially in such an expensive plastic.

My approach discs:

Longer, finessed, glidey approaches (or longer putt/runs at the chains) MAKO Champion 177g. The perfect straight flyer with a lot of glide and super easy to control.

Straight-Stable approach: Pa1 400 durable, stable, I can trust it in almost any condition.

Straight-Understable-low power approach: Pa4 400 straight , hold anny well, long hyzer flip straight approach..

you get the idea.

Those are my 3 I use....I also use a DRONE occasionally when i want a meaty hook (instead of the MAKO)

For 100' and in I go to my wardens. I have One for putts and long runs, a new one for any light wind, and a starting to beat one. I carry to classic stiff, one classic blend. I find that it's best to let the disc do more of the work. I've never had a problem in any wind with these (but do keep a Pa1 (my driving putter) ready if it is hurricane wind)). I've parked on all types of terrain, weather, and elevation. Honestly the Warden made my putting and approaching the best part of my game (now if I can only drive..)

For 100' and in I go to my wardens. I have One for putts and long runs, a new one for any light wind, and a starting to beat one. I carry to classic stiff, one classic blend. I find that it's best to let the disc do more of the work. I've never had a problem in any wind with these (but do keep a Pa1 (my driving putter) ready if it is hurricane wind)). I've parked on all types of terrain, weather, and elevation. Honestly the Warden made my putting and approaching the best part of my game (now if I can only drive..)

The warden was my first love. I wish so bad they made it in Lucid

The warden was my first love. I wish so bad they made it in Lucid

Now I have had problems with Vibram, well a problem. I have a Summit, Ascent, and Lace. And all three got really flippy really fast. As they get beat in they lose their stability, I haven't tried microwaving them yet, but really, that's not what you want, especially in such an expensive plastic.

I've found the medium VP to be more durable than firm VP. If you can beat in a medium you deserve an award.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Xlv5HlAfUx0

This video honestly sums up the durability, even though this was made before the VP was released.

The Gui, Harp and Cheif are all great.

W-W-W-W-Wizard!

I have a couple in my bag for this type of shot (and most every shot within 150' or so. My organic blend has the best grip and one I might even rip off the tee for a short hole or downhill pull. The RFF mold I carry is floppy and perfect for those precarious basket placements...

Rattler! Every tournament I have played since getting in someone in my group deciders to get one too. It is the best approach disc ever. won't go that far, pretty stable for a lid, and will just float down in the end.

Rattler! Every tournament I have played since getting in someone in my group deciders to get one too. It is the best approach disc ever. won't go that far, pretty stable for a lid, and will just float down in the end.

Despite my polecat love, I agree with the Rattler as well. Very underrated. I just happen to prefer the polecat these days.

I'm pretty sure the consensus is that there is no one best short-approach disc. It depends on what you want. I like floaty lid-like discs, but I don't want to add a mold specifically for short approaches. Some people like something nice and overstable that drops well. Some people throw completely atypical shots instead of changing discs.

So I suggest trying all these things. Grab a zone-style disc, and a polecat-style disc, and a neutral putter, and work on short UDs and such. They all have advantages, and disadvantages.