• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Way To Deal With Theft Accusation?

Playing semantics shows your argument is rather weak.

So it'll satisfy you: *ALMOST never.

Fair enough. I find the problem with using an absolute like "never" in a argument is that I'm usually thinking of one situation, perhaps the couple of courses I play most often, and not the spectrum of situations to which my statement might be applied.

I can tell you that there have been at least two dozen times this summer that I've left a disc behind, to come back later with the right equipment to retrieve it.

You might be incredulous until I mention that it's a private course, where I know the disc won't be picked up by anyone else. It has a pond for which there are various retrieval methods (golden retriever, huge rake, swimsuit), briar patches where jeans and gloves are in order, and dense rough where spare time, not equipment, is key.

But I've also done it on a public course. I've unknowingly left a disc and returned anywhere from minutes later to the end of the round. I've lost a disc in the fading twilight and returned in the early dawn to resume the search. I recently put one in a storm drain and returned 5 hours later with an assortment of tools and duct tape to rescue it.

I've yet to work out a system of querying a found disc to determine whether it was actually abandoned, or is just temporarily out of its owner's custody for any of the dozens of possible reasons.

Playing semantics shows your argument is rather weak.

So it'll satisfy you: *ALMOST never.

Also I would say that this is not a matter of semantics. There is a significant difference between never and almost never. One means it doesn't happen and the other means it does. You can say that almost never is really close to never. But I think the truth is you've never seen it happen and are assuming that very few people do it. The truth of the matter is you really have no idea how often people leave to get something to help them find/retrieve a disc.

So the other day was playing a course with a lot of water hazards. The group in front of us had a guy botch his drive off the tee and it goes straight into the middle of the lake. We play the same hole after, I over throw my putt and my disc goes right on the edge of the water (thankfully not in). So I hike down to the water area (I snagged my disc at the south end of the lake, he threw his in right in the middle), retrieve my disc and play on. It just happened that the disc that guy lost was white, and the disc I almost lost was white.

Long story short, I think he saw me hike down to recover my white disc and thought it was his. He approaches us and asks if we saw his white disc, after we say no sorry he continues to ask if we were sure, at least five times, then eventually gives up and mumbles "alright whatever" and flails his arms.

There's some nonsense drama and confrontation between our two groups the rest of the game and eventually we just offer for them to check our bags if they don't trust us, but they decline and try to turn it on us that it's rude to think that we thought he accused us. Not to mention they began writing their name and numbers, mid-game, on all the rest of their discs right after it happened...so even more suggestive, at least IMO.

Who do you guys feel is in the right? How do you guys deal with dumb things like this when they happen? I know a name and number on a disc would have solved things, but they refused to check our bags anyways.

Thinking about it now, if it were to happen again when he would start continuously asking if we were sure if we saw it I would just respond "look if you don't trust me then don't ask for my help" and leave it at that.

The fact that you were playing around water can only mean Expo.. :D
if they can't tell they went into the middle of one of those nasty lakes. then they have issues since there are no trees to block their view.. not sure why they would even consider it floating back to the shore in that amount of time.. some people are just twats.

i won't lie, i was asking to see people's bags today and they dealt with it just fine.

someone stole my pink zero hard pure.

PINK.

THEY DO NOT EXIST IN STORES ANYMORE, I SWEAR TO GOD.

*breathes into a paper bag*

IMHO - much ado about nothing. After a couple of rounds, I decide whether or not a disc is in my bag or not and either it gets rim ink or it doesn't.
If someone wants to look in my bag, and isn't a DB about it, I'll be happy to show them my discs, if for no other reason than it's probably the fastest way to get back to my round. 30 years ago, maybe I look at them funny. Wisdom is knowing when to take the path of least resistance...

and when not to. If the guy's really acting like a DB about looking in my bag, I won't reward that behavior by letting them look in my bag. Probably just kick them in the nads quite unexpectedly and move along. I felt threatened by his hostile attitude and felt the need to defend myself.

When I get in these types of situations I just look at the person with a disgusted face and say "Did you just touch my penis? What the hell is wrong with you pervert? I'm not your love doll!"

They normally just get away from me really fast or start laughing. Either way situation difused.

Damn you. Just spit out Vitamin Water out my nose and mouth.
Too friggin funny.

having your name on the discs would help.

I don't care what others think. I know i didn't do anything wrong so they can pound sand as far as i'm concerned. Life is full of a-holes. Learning to deal with them is an important facet of living. My job teaches me a lot about dealing with them, so on the golf course is cakewalk.

After reply 1 and 2 the thread was done.

I've yet to work out a system of querying a found disc to determine whether it was actually abandoned, or is just temporarily out of its owner's custody for any of the dozens of possible reasons.

Anything you find, anywhere, anytime. IS NEVER YOURS. IT STILL HAS A LEGITIMATE OWNER.

Read the law, people. Finders keepers is NOT a law.

Even the trash you put out on the street to be taken away. It belongs to you till you put it out, then it belongs to the gouvernement who is goping to collect it, burn it and hopefully get some energy back from burning the trash. Yes, even taking trash is stealing. Everything belongs to somebody AT ALL TIMES, and if you just walk up to it that somebody is certainly NOT you.

ffs.

/rant off

Last edited:
Please read post in full, if it has a name I will return. No name ... No disc. If the lazy person has enough time to watch me dig it out, but waits until I have it in my bag to approach. They will leave empty handed. Wrong or right, thanks for the free disc

Your mother would be proud.

Update

I now have 4 bags full of FREE disc with NO NAMES on them.....lol, this is a 4 year later update.:popcorn:

I carry a handgun with me at all times in my Grip bag because we do live in a crazy world.
I know its a necro post but good lord man. I'm not sure what 'crazy world' you live in... but carrying a gun in your disc golf bag???

I am sure the Charleston Crushers are glad to have you representing the club and Disc Golf in general. :\

I know its a necro post but good lord man. I'm not sure what 'crazy world' you live in... but carrying a gun in your disc golf bag???

I have sad news. Last night Dueces accidentally shot his favorite driver while pulling a mid out of his bag. Shot it solid through the logo. It seems the mid caught on the safety, flipped it off, and the bottle of Bud in his bag slipped against the trigger.

Fortunately, Dueces didn't shoot his foot off, just his big toe. The bullet, upon passing through his favorite driver, left his bag and entered his toe. He says he will be working on his forehand and will return to the game as soon as he can.

The first time I knew there were some people who shouldn't have guns was the very first time I went hunting. The guy down from us shot over a knoll and killed a cop car. Boy was that cop hot.

Yep, it's a crazy old world.

As an aside, I only write my name in discs for tournament play, so I don't get a violation. My hope is that anyone who finds one of my discs enjoys it at least as much as I did. If you've picked up a bag full of discs, do the right thing and donate them to clubs, schools, or your alma mater. It will warm their heart and your's too.

Fair enough. I find the problem with using an absolute like "never" in a argument is that I'm usually thinking of one situation, perhaps the couple of courses I play most often, and not the spectrum of situations to which my statement might be applied.

I can tell you that there have been at least two dozen times this summer that I've left a disc behind, to come back later with the right equipment to retrieve it.

You might be incredulous until I mention that it's a private course, where I know the disc won't be picked up by anyone else. It has a pond for which there are various retrieval methods (golden retriever, huge rake, swimsuit), briar patches where jeans and gloves are in order, and dense rough where spare time, not equipment, is key.

But I've also done it on a public course. I've unknowingly left a disc and returned anywhere from minutes later to the end of the round. I've lost a disc in the fading twilight and returned in the early dawn to resume the search. I recently put one in a storm drain and returned 5 hours later with an assortment of tools and duct tape to rescue it.

This post is one of the many reasons I like reading David's comments. Not too many people realize there aren't absolutes anymore. We like it black and white. Me good, you bad.