• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Black Falls

When I travel to an area, I use DGCR to find the highest rated courses in THAT state. Then I try to play the highest rated courses closest to my destination. After playing lots of "highest rated" courses in 49 states, I am left scratching my head. It seems many reviewers give glowing reviews of some private courses because they want to help the friendly owner and gloss over the crappy disc golf.

I wanted to play the top ten rated courses in an "Anonymous Western State" and ended up playing THE WORST COURSE EVER! There are just no words to describe how disc-appointed I was. To be fair, it wasn't one of the top 5 in the state, but I always see this course mentioned when players ask about playing in "the area". However, the course and the actual disc golf were sooo bad, it removed Shawshank from my list of "most overrated course ever!" In fact, this course makes Shawshank seem as glamorous as the French Riviera. At least Shawshank had amazing tee signs, actual fairways and a beautifully landscaped property.

I want to apologize to Shawshank for my previous hatred - you have been officially pardoned. :thmbup: :D

FYI, Black Falls still shows up as the second highest rated course in Vermont, behind Brewster Ridge, which is still in the DGCR Top 25. This seems reasonable to me. If that one review was removed, would Black Falls make the Top 25 again? Would Black Falls surpass Brewster Ridge as the top rated course in the state?

Wow ! Authentic humor does still exist on DGCR...Humor me some more.

Wait, disc appointed is authentic humor? Now I know you're pulling my leg. I think this needs further disc cussion.

But you took yourself so seriously, I felt the material needed to be revisited.

I have teenagers, they've made sure that I know I'm not funny, so all my attempts at humor are weak.
If you knew me better,you would know I don't take anything seriously...especially myself.

If you knew me better,you would know I don't take anything seriously...especially myself.

One of the things that gives this site credibility for me is that most of the folks can laugh at themselves. The moderators, IMO, are brilliant. Yep, dumb things happen, just look at my history, but relative to other places, this one is pretty good. My two cents.

Wow ! Authentic humor does still exist on DGCR...Humor me some more.

Before this "new course that shall not be named" was played, Shawshank was "the course that shall not be named".

Next, I would like to add that my day at Sugaree is in the top five amazing disc golf experiences in my life. However, just like Poli Poli, I can't review the course, because it is extinct. Having my camera die on me before my Sugaree round started is one of the biggest regrets. I should have gone back to the car for more batteries..... Thankfully, I have a couple of photos from you that I will cherish forever. Playing Sugaree made me finally understand the words "Appalachian Beauty". IMHO, Sugaree >>Black Falls.

Without the one 1.5-disc review, Black Falls would be rated approximately 4.66 (135/29) and be No. 18 in the rankings.

What if some of the other courses got to drop one review, too?

And.....so what?

Before this "new course that shall not be named" was played, Shawshank was "the course that shall not be named".

Next, I would like to add that my day at Sugaree is in the top five amazing disc golf experiences in my life. However, just like Poli Poli, I can't review the course, because it is extinct. Having my camera die on me before my Sugaree round started is one of the biggest regrets. I should have gone back to the car for more batteries..... Thankfully, I have a couple of photos from you that I will cherish forever. Playing Sugaree made me finally understand the words "Appalachian Beauty". IMHO, Sugaree >>Black Falls.
Thanks, but I think you are confusing Sugaree with Sugar Hollow. The guy at Sugaree has a chip on his shoulder, and you never know if the course is open for play.

DGCR forum coach speaks;...

One of the things that gives this site credibility for me is that most of the folks can laugh at themselves. The moderators, IMO, are brilliant. Yep, dumb things happen, just look at my history, but relative to other places, this one is pretty good. My two cents.
I think you had a good thing goin with the first sentence, before a total trainwreck.
Stick to one good sentence ala Biscoe and you will go places.

I definitely will be returning to Black Falls while in VT for Masters Worlds.:thmbup:

Mandabear's best friend just moved to Vermont. So there's rumblings of a road trip in the not too distant future (she already made the trip once, but next time she has to bring me along). Last time I was there, I just bagged some random course quickly to check off a state played. I look forward to checking out some of these courses in the discussion.

Listen when I say this, black Falls is the most meticulously maintained private disc golf course that I have ever seen and number two is so far behind that you can't even imagine it

You should have played Moccasin Creek a private course in Zebulon, NC. It was so well maintained I couldn't find ant sticks to pick up and I always pick up sticks. The owner would not tolerate even a few leaves on the ground, he was constantly blowing them. Unfortunately, Donald decided to retire to Hawaii and sold the course. :thmbdown:

Thanks for the compliment. I think the thing that made it so great for you was you were out driving me every hole. Thanks again for the lift