• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Blue Ribbon Pines gets a ZERO?

harr0140

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
because the reviewer broke a rule (went into the pond) and got in trouble with one of the staff for doing so.

What happens to this review? Especially since the reviewer says himself he would have given this course a 5 if not for todays experience. He loves the course and has played it 6 or 7 times this month, now because he got in trouble . . . he isnt going back and he gave it a zero rating. I would be ok with him giving it a 4 or something like that because clearly it is a great course and he agrees, but this experience makes it a zero???

Let the debate begin . . . censor or no censor?

Sounds like an idiot to me. Why say you would give it a 5 if not for todays action and then give it a zero.

After reading that I was right. Sounds like a punk that doesnt respect authority and just wants to act like he (or she) is 7 years old. I bet that th people at BRP wont miss him or his group anyways

Think that and the 1 star on Idlewild both need to be thrown out, just for the fact that the review isn't about the course but about the sand in their crawl. Both reviews say that they loved the course but just gave it bad scores because they weren't good enough to play it, nor were breaking a rule that i'm sure is in place so blue ribbons wouldn't get sued if the idiot would have gotten hurt.

Agree but......

I agree that these aberrant reviews should be segregated. But I also don't like 5 star reviews that are because it is a good place to get high or drunk. I have only reviewed 2 courses (although I have played 60) because I usually don't have anything unique to add. It would be nice if you could give a rating without a review (similar to IMDb) even though people want to know the "why". The only reason that I did review 2 courses was that (1) the first course had zero reviews so I felt like I could add something; (2) the second course wasn't really a course so I wanted to warn people. I also struggle with the personal dichotomy between knowing that something is a good course but still not having enjoyed my experience there. For example, Unami Creek, French Creek, the Paw Paw courses and the Grange courses are good courses in my head but I didn't enjoy them that much. It isn't that they were too tough as I loved Nockamixon and Quaker's Challenge. Seneca Creek is my home course and I loved the old 18 hole layout; I enjoy the new 27 hole course and I understand that it is better for tournaments but I really miss some of the old holes. So i enjoy reading other's reviews and they help decide on DG destinations but I read them with a grain of salt knowing that personal preferences are going to color the reviews.

Maybe he just should have taken a few days to cool down before writing the review. I could understand downgrading the course due to a bad experience but a 0 is a little harsh. I saw someone else's penis at White marsh in VA, and still gave it a 2! The course, not the unit.

If you are a first time player at that course and you think you have been unfairly treated then you can give the course any rating you want. However the reviewer says he has played there numerous times so he had to know the rules. Being pissy because you got in trouble for breaking the rules is childish and the review should be thrown out.

I removed it. It wasn't a course review, it was a review of a personal conflict.

Think that and the 1 star on Idlewild both need to be thrown out, just for the fact that the review isn't about the course but about the sand in their crawl. Both reviews say that they loved the course but just gave it bad scores because they weren't good enough to play it, nor were breaking a rule that i'm sure is in place so blue ribbons wouldn't get sued if the idiot would have gotten hurt.

The Idlewild reviewers buddy actually admitted trying to get it out of the top 10 and that it was not really a 1 disc course. The remaining Idlewilde reviewer didn't admit it, but we are not total idiots. This BRP review is a joke also. DBs.:mad:

He wrote an email complaining about the review being removed when it in fact isn't a review at all. He's reviewing the guy in the pro shop, not the course.

I just removed the new review which only added a line about the other one being deleted. Maybe the next one will be about the course.

Last edited:
I usually rate courses on three category levels. It helps me to stay objective and not get my own personal feelings mixed into the review.

Category I, "Essential properties of a good course"
Baskets: (condition, make, etc)
Tee Pads: (material, condition, level?, etc)
Tee Signs/Maps/Markers: (present?, condition, clarity, accuracy)

Category II "Combine with cat I to make a great course"
General Course Design: (flow, loop back to start?, crossing fairways?, well defined fairways, etc)
Foliage Maintenance: (underbrush?, poison oak?, stinging nettles?, blackberries, etc, trees trimmed accordingly, grass cut regularly?)
Benches & Trash bins: (present?, condition?, emptied regularly?)

Category III "bonus attributes to make an excellent course"
Elevation: (present?, optimized?, etc)
Epic Holes: (There are some holes you will never forget throwing)
Camping
Restrooms
Running water
Variety of hole distances
Variety of shots required
Mix of tight technical & Open bombs
Overall challenge
Parking
Scenic beauty
Crowded or not?
Regular events to participate in
Attitude of locals
and on and on and on.

From your post on writing a good review. In this case, the local is the damn owner of the course. If anything, he should be trying to please every customer that walks through the door and pays their $5, because word travels fast.

Question, how many people here have played at Blue Ribbon and got their disc in the water? How many of you have used a rake to try and find that disc? Or how about seen anybody go into the water with the rake to try and find it? I know I have seen it numerous times, and this is my first year ever going to Blue Ribbon. I do not recall anywhere on my scorecard (I have one in front of me), or any signs next to any of the ponds/creeks that state that you can not go in/use a rake to find your disc, therefore it would not be a rule violation. Hell, they have a damn rule stating that if you find a disc with someone elses name on it while searching for yours, to turn it into the pro shop. That basically calls out, "Check the ponds/creeks at your own risk for your disc, but don't be a Dick (as the sign on the back of the pro shop door reads)." Nobody in my group has ever broken that rule while searching for our discs. We have found about 4-5 in the past month alone (a Thank You would be appreciated here). Every one of those was turned into the pro shop.

So here is my group of 3. I am on one side of the pond on hole 19 with a rake searching for my friends disc. One of my other friends is in the pond with the other rake (he had waders on because he lost 2 discs earlier this year, one of which was at Blue Ribbon and had his name and number on it, and the waders make it so your clothes do not get wet.) The owner comes up and asks what we are doing. We tell him we were looking for our friends disc. He then tells us that we can not use the rakes to look for our disc. We ask him, "If you can't use them to look for your disc, then why does the course provide them?" He then threatens to have us removed from the course for not following the rules. I ask again, where is this rule posted? And why do they have a rule that contradicts that rule? If he had simply said to us, "You can use the rakes to find it from the edge of the water, but you can't be in the water, it is a liability issue." we would have been cool with that, but the threaten to have us removed without any further explanation then "You can't use the rakes to look for your disc"? That's just bull****! On top of that, on the way to our cars (we left immediately, didn't even feel like finishing the last 8 holes), he was standing behind the pro shop watching us walk by, while another group stood 100 feet to his left with a rake in the creek looking for their disc.

I ask you. If you walked into your local Wal-Mart and were looking at clothes, and didn't put the pair of size 34 pants you were looking at back in line with the other 34's, and instead put it behind the... 40's, and a manager walked up to you and threatened to have you removed from the store because you were breaking a rule, would you rate them a 3-4 out of 5 and want to go back just because "The store is clean and well maintained and you can find everything you are looking for"? Hell no! You would find the next closest store that sold the same stuff, and go there, even if the store is not quite as clean.

there, I wrote a review that is more to the liking of the people on this site and its operators

He wrote an email complaining about the review being removed

by the way, isn't it a normal thing for most credible websites to deal with these matters in private, not to throw it out there for every random person who feels like it to be able to have knowledge of? As far as I can tell, I was not disrespectful in the e-mail I sent, and I simply asked what I can change in my review to make it fall under the guidelines of what the site allows in their reviews. A simple E-mail back would have been fine. Thank you sir

He wrote an email complaining about the review being removed when it in fact isn't a review at all. He's reviewing the guy in the pro shop, not the course.

I just removed the new review which only added a line about the other one being deleted. Maybe the next one will be about the course.

it still is not good

by the way, isn't it a normal thing for most credible websites to deal with these matters in private, not to throw it out there for every random person who feels like it to be able to have knowledge of? As far as I can tell, I was not disrespectful in the e-mail I sent, and I simply asked what I can change in my review to make it fall under the guidelines of what the site allows in their reviews. A simple E-mail back would have been fine. Thank you sir
I sent an email back to you and also explained the situation to the people that were talking about it here.

Latest posts