• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Boycott the USDGC?

You're such an activist, Danger. ;)

I do what I can!

While I'm out boycotting USDGC, I need to find some way to incorporate support for the Verdugo Hills Golf Course DGC :)

I missed being our state rep last year by one stroke and wouldn't want to go this year in the new format. To not have the head honchos present and in normal scoring is a sham. I think it would be great if Discraft could talk the parks dept. into letting them bang out another event at the Toboggan and alternate with Winthrop for the USADGC each year. :thmbup:

They need to make it a different tournament with a different name. You can't say you're a USDGC winner if you didn't compete under the same system as the guy who won the year before. The PGA has the US Open every year, open to amateur players as well as top pros -- they don't use a handicap system to make it "more fair." They assume that if you're good enough to get into the thing, you're good enough to compete at that level.

This is like deciding that the NCAA wants to promote FCS (formerly division I-AA) football by allowing the winner of the FCS playoffs to play for the national championship against the top BCS team. But to make it fair, they're going to spot the FCS team 21 points and give them the ball first in both halves. It takes away from both teams involved in the game, and nobody is really going to take the winner seriously. (And I say this as a HUGE FCS football fan.)

that

I wouldn't mind seeing more Majors. I know they have the NT events but the only Wins you normally hear listed with peoples names is USDGC and Worlds victories. That tells me right now we just have 2 Majors. So I think 2 more big tournaments during the year where that person is recognized for winning years afterwards.

Please tell me they're not laying down the yellow rope at the IDGC for that event. There's no way that could even be considered fair to any golfer.
No, but some of the creeks and lake boundaries on all three course may finally be staked by then so the OB lines stay consistent regardless of the water levels.

All I know about the PDGA is that I joined on Oct. of 2010 AND gave them $50 for the "Birdie Club" and to this day have yet to see anything!!!!

I'm OK with the idea but I think it should be a different event altogether. It would be kind of fun for Joe Shmoe to be on the final card with Locastro.

If anything it would be a great charity event.

That's exactly what is so wrong with the system. It's ok for some fun or charity tournament, but not for the most prestigious tournament our sport has to offer ! I realy dont understand the decicion. I would be all for boycoting.

That and that the handicap is based on your rating, which opens the door to sandbaggers etc.

I havent made up my mind if i am playing this year or not!!! And I live within an hour of Winthrop

If you were still sponsored by Innova you would be going. I heard Barry has been given a gag order from the new Landlord.

Last edited:
I have played in every USDGC and have decided to skip this year. It has been my favorite weekend of the year and I am sad things have changed! So does this mean my streak is broken or will I have an * by my name?

I didn't read every post so I don't know if this has been said yet... but:
Every year the USDGC is greatly enhanced by the spotters.

Our club brings down 6-8 guys a year who spend the week volunteering, spending their own money (hotels, food, drinks, time off work, etc...) so they can watch the best pros in the world throw shots.
Who's going to volunteer to go spot this year? Not me!
DSCJNKY

That's exactly what is so wrong with the system. It's ok for some fun or charity tournament, but not for the most prestigious tournament our sport has to offer ! I realy dont understand the decicion. I would be all for boycoting.

That and that the handicap is based on your rating, which opens the door to sandbaggers etc.
This

Great point, I've never heard of random spectators showing up for even the biggest tournaments. Also, the ams do support the sport, without plastic payouts to ams most tournaments wouldn't have the ability to support 100%+ cash payout for the pros.

I do think it's pretty silly that they took the most prestigious event and tinkered with it, but that's a different story.

I have a feeling their attendance is going to shoot down in the crapper.

I didn't read every post so I don't know if this has been said yet... but:
Every year the USDGC is greatly enhanced by the spotters.

Our club brings down 6-8 guys a year who spend the week volunteering, spending their own money (hotels, food, drinks, time off work, etc...) so they can watch the best pros in the world throw shots.
Who's going to volunteer to go spot this year? Not me!
DSCJNKY

AND they're charging $60 to VOLUNTEER!!!

How many things can they get wrong? Looks like they're going for the record.

If you were still sponsored by Innova you would be going. I heard Barry has been given a gag order from the new Landlord.

pretty sure that wouldnt change my mind at all! I play the events that i enjoy and want to play, not something i'm told to play. I play this game for my enjoyment and for fun, not because a sponsor tells me to. And when i was sponsored by innova, i really only got support from the east coast guys, who really supported me quite well, and i appreciated every minute of it!! I love playing for the fans that come out to the USDGC every year, they are the only reason I am considering playing at all this year. My crowd support has been amazing over the years there and it means alot to me that people come out and watch me and want to see me do well

pretty sure that wouldnt change my mind at all! I play the events that i enjoy and want to play, not something i'm told to play. I play this game for my enjoyment and for fun, not because a sponsor tells me to. And when i was sponsored by innova, i really only got support from the east coast guys, who really supported me quite well, and i appreciated every minute of it!! I love playing for the fans that come out to the USDGC every year, they are the only reason I am considering playing at all this year. My crowd support has been amazing over the years there and it means alot to me that people come out and watch me and want to see me do well

best 4th post ever.

I follow your card every time I go down to the USDGC. If MJ dont be showin' up, you can count me out! :D

We run a tournament, The Battle of Stoney Hill, on the Sunday of USDGC week. We're less than 2 hours from Rock Hill. So we invite all the boycotting spectators and former volunteers in the area to join us and get your mind off the USDGC.