• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Boycott the USDGC?

The typical image of "frolfers" doesn't help sell courses.
Chew on that awhile.

It's all about disc golf and politics. If you fail to understand the concept read all about what went down here in Lexington the last month. We had the opportunity to get 2 big courses built and paid for by the city. Yes the price tag was way too high, as set by the city, but we really got to see what Joe Public thought of disc golf by what they perceived it was all about.

Disc golf will forever be viewed as a "recreational activity" and less of a sport until we pull our heads out of our collective a**s.

Maybe you need to develop a version of disc golf that involves horses to get respect in Lexington. Disc golf/polo, use them as caddies, riding course marshals...

Maybe you need to develop a version of disc golf that involves horses to get respect in Lexington. Disc golf/polo, use them as caddies, riding course marshals...

There's so much prime real estate around that city for some amazing courses. Too bad the ponies rule it all.

Also, I commented on this thread when it was actually about the title. How did it come to this?

Most likely at Sugaw.....:sick:

1. #'s 6, 15, 16 at Rankin Lake. (Anybody that does multiple driveby's is not interested in disc golf!)
2. #12 Sugaw (Hooker Alley).
3. #10 Nevin (Basket area and transition to #11)
4. #15 Skillborne (Despite the undercover stings)
5. #12, #6 Kilborne (Those picnic tables have been the host to lots of adolescent lovin)

[/QUOTE] Also, I commented on this thread when it was actually about the title. How did it come to this?[/QUOTE]

Higher entertainment value!

I hosted a non-sanctioned event Saturday in Longcreek, SC. The private course is 20 minutes from where I work in Rabun County, GA. Last week I invited several board members of the Rabun County Chamber of Commerce and several members of the local Rotary Club. I invited these two groups because I believe if they saw the turn out for the tournament and saw that most of the players traveled from somewhere else to play, it could lead to a course and tournaments in Rabun County in the future.

Well I got a call this morning inviting me to an Chamber of Commerce Events Committee meeting to talk specifically about Disc Golf.

The people that came by the tournament on Saturday only knew about the sport from what I had told them about the sport. I think the set up, the friendliness of the players, and seeing all these out of town people made an impact.

Its really all in the marketing. I invite community leaders to all my tournaments I run and some always show up and it has always helped in getting more sponsors for events the following year. If we are expecting people to come to us with offers of sponsoring events, that's just a dream.

I hosted a non-sanctioned event Saturday in Longcreek, SC. The private course is 20 minutes from where I work in Rabun County, GA. Last week I invited several board members of the Rabun County Chamber of Commerce and several members of the local Rotary Club. I invited these two groups because I believe if they saw the turn out for the tournament and saw that most of the players traveled from somewhere else to play, it could lead to a course and tournaments in Rabun County in the future.

Well I got a call this morning inviting me to an Chamber of Commerce Events Committee meeting to talk specifically about Disc Golf.

The people that came by the tournament on Saturday only knew about the sport from what I had told them about the sport. I think the set up, the friendliness of the players, and seeing all these out of town people made an impact.

Its really all in the marketing. I invite community leaders to all my tournaments I run and some always show up and it has always helped in getting more sponsors for events the following year. If we are expecting people to come to us with offers of sponsoring events, that's just a dream.

Kudos to you Sadjo! The tourney was a ton of fun, and went off without a hitch.

Disc golf has had a problem all along in that it developed upside-down. Frisbee sports developed from a marketing idea at Wham-O that the Frisbee could be transitioned from the sales boom and bust that is the toy market to the sporting goods market, which offered more stable long-term sales for the company. To do that, Wham-O created the International Frisbee Association (paid for out of the Wham-O marketing budget) and propped up a bunch of events financially where professional Frisbee players (many of them on the IFA payroll) would compete for Wham-O's money. From the outside, it looked like a legitimate sports phenomenon. In reality it was a house of cards balanced on Wham-O's checkbook.

We come from that. The original PDGA was set up just like the IFA because it was set up by the same guy who created the IFA. Ed Headrick was the marketing guy behind the IFA and the professional Frisbee players he propped up with IFA events were the players he brought in to play in the early PDGA events. Because of that, there was "professional" disc golf before there was amateur disc golf. Upside-down.

So, what happened? Well you had cool things like the $50,000 Huntington Beach tournament in 1979, but the model was not sustainable. Wham-O was bought out, the new company had no interest in throwing money at Frisbee freaks, the IFA was shut down and Frisbee sports had to find a new path without their cash cow.

Ed Headrick realized the gig was up and turned the PDGA over to the players. Those players were the same IFA guys that just had the rug pulled out from underneath them. The course they set the PDGA on, the course disc golf is still following, was to go on like disc golf was a viable professional sport and wait for the next cash cow to come along. The fact that disc golf wasn't then and isn't now a viable professional sport didn't and doesn't seem to matter. That was in '83-'84, somewhere around there. So for the last 27 or 28 years we have been having this same ridiculous conversation that we are "right there," and any second now disc golf is going to hit the big time on somebody else's money.

The problem with that is A) it's not happening and B) players buy into the dream and get disillusioned when it doesn't happen. It's been the ongoing cycle, and it's nothing new. It might seem worse now, but it's nothing new. It's been going on for almost 30 years now.

The USDGC is a smaller version of the same thing the IFA was. It's a money suckhole propped up on Innova's checkbook. They obviously bit down on the dream when they started it and thought that Coke or some other big $$$ company would have picked the event up off their checkbook by now. It didn't happen. Now they are re-thinking the event and their financial commitment to it, and everyone is screaming that they are taking something away from us. What it really shows is that we were not nearly ready for it when they gave it to us, and the dream is still as far away as it was 27 years ago.

The whole idea of disc golf sustaining a touring group of professional players is absurd. The only reason people don't see it as absurd is because it's been going on for so long. When you really look at the money, it's not there. Not anywhere close. We have a long, long way to go before we can support touring pros. It sucks if you are really good and have bit down on the PDGA dream, but the reality is that it's a mirage.

The most intelligent response yet, and shows the value of knowing history

Projected at a 70.

Also, did I hear correctly in the JP/Crump interview that its stroke and distance?

So that's what they project actual scores for the first round? What would the adjusted scores look like?

There are no adjusted scores like handicapping. The handicap is already built into the projected score. A player's score that will be used for ranking after each round is how many throws they beat or exceed their projected score. For example, if a player with a projected score of 79 shoots a 77, their "score" posted for the round will be -2. If he shot 85, it will be +6. The scoreboard will look like an over/under par scoreboard with the most negative in the lead.