• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bradley Williams Suspended

Given what we know, was the PDGA suspension of Bradley Williams correct?

• Yes, and the amount of time was correct.

Votes: 122 51.5%
  • Yes, but the amount of time was not correct.

Votes: 69 29.1%
  • No, the process was flawed.

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • No, Bradley Williams should not have been suspended at all.

Votes: 16 6.8%

• Total voters
I do think the PDGA should publicly state which of the four case types initiated the suspension. In summary, these are:

(see the PDGA disciplinary pdf for full text)

Case 1) If in the course of a PDGA sanctioned event, a member takes an action that is disruptive to the event and that is not specifically addressed within the PDGA Rules of Play, that action may be reported to the PDGA by any active PDGA member who witnessed the incident;

Case 2) Any disqualification of an active member from a PDGA sanctioned event;

Case 3) If an active member demonstrates behavior that is inconsistent with the well being of the PDGA or another active member(s), any PDGA Board member or the Executive Director may instigate a disciplinary investigation on their own;

Case 4) If an active member demonstrates behavior that is inconsistent with the well being of the PDGA or another active member (s), an active member may petition the DC to carry out a disciplinary investigation of that member. Such a petition must include contact information and signatures of at least 10 active members who witnessed the incident.

For Case 1, it's odd that the bar for initiating a disciplinary action is lower than calling a rules violation resulting in a penalty stroke during play (other than tournament officials):
801.01 E
A rules violation that results in one or more penalty throws may be called by any player in the group, or by an official. If called by a player, it must then be seconded by another player in the group.
It would be helpful if the PDGA offered some examples of actions "not specifically addressed within the PDGA Rules of Play"

Case 2 is clear.

Case 3 does not require a formal complaint from an active member. Actions of this type really need a public statement from the Board (briefly) describing why the action was initiated.

Case 4 requiring 10 active members witnessing the incident seems like a weirdly high bar. I suspect either there was a specific past incident and/or it is a catch-all for multiple actions at different tournaments (although "the incident" argues against this interpretation).

My guess regarding Williams is that, although at least one member submitted a DAF (Disciplinary Action Form), since his actions are addressed in the PDGA Rule Book (he was assessed a courtesy violation), the penalty was a Case 3 investigation since it covers actions impacting the image (well being) of the PDGA.

I do think the PDGA should publicly state which of the four case types initiated the suspension. In summary, these are:

(see the PDGA disciplinary pdf for full text)

Case 1) If in the course of a PDGA sanctioned event, a member takes an action that is disruptive to the event and that is not specifically addressed within the PDGA Rules of Play, that action may be reported to the PDGA by any active PDGA member who witnessed the incident;

Case 2) Any disqualification of an active member from a PDGA sanctioned event;

Case 3) If an active member demonstrates behavior that is inconsistent with the well being of the PDGA or another active member(s), any PDGA Board member or the Executive Director may instigate a disciplinary investigation on their own;

Case 4) If an active member demonstrates behavior that is inconsistent with the well being of the PDGA or another active member (s), an active member may petition the DC to carry out a disciplinary investigation of that member. Such a petition must include contact information and signatures of at least 10 active members who witnessed the incident.

For Case 1, it's odd that the bar for initiating a disciplinary action is lower than calling a rules violation resulting in a penalty stroke during play (other than tournament officials):

It would be helpful if the PDGA offered some examples of actions "not specifically addressed within the PDGA Rules of Play"

Case 2 is clear.

Case 3 does not require a formal complaint from an active member. Actions of this type really need a public statement from the Board (briefly) describing why the action was initiated.

Case 4 requiring 10 active members witnessing the incident seems like a weirdly high bar. I suspect either there was a specific past incident and/or it is a catch-all for multiple actions at different tournaments (although "the incident" argues against this interpretation).

My guess regarding Williams is that, although at least one member submitted a DAF (Disciplinary Action Form), since his actions are addressed in the PDGA Rule Book (he was assessed a courtesy violation), the penalty was a Case 3 investigation since it covers actions impacting the image (well being) of the PDGA.

teemkey, I think it's #1. I think most people think it's #1. Due to the continuous nature

Just to be clear, if someone swings at you and you engage back, you can also be charged with assault.

Would someone post a poll already about all this. Do you agree with the PDGA's suspension of BW given what has come out? Yes / No? Simple.

But then we'd miss out on all the riveting conversation.

Was the Bradley Williams suspension correct?

Someone wanted a poll, so here's my effort to make one.

Given what we now know, was the PDGA correct to suspend Bradley Williams in the manner they did, and was the time of the suspension correct?

Okay, I'll take a shot at making a poll, to get the practice if nothing else...

Don't do it, you'll only encourage him. Next thing you know, he'll want you to clean his room, then do his laundry, and mow the lawn. You're leading him down the road to a lifetime of dependency!

Don't do it, you'll only encourage him. Next thing you know, he'll want you to clean his room, then do his laundry, and mow the lawn. You're leading him down the road to a lifetime of dependency!

uddyWeo.jpg

YOU didn;'t leave a choice for "I don't have enough information yet"

As long as the third choice is, "I don't have enough information yet."

I knew there'd be those weenies that won't just answer the damn question. Always asking the teacher a damn question when class is about to let out... Not talking about you of course. :|

YOU didn;'t leave a choice for "I don't have enough information yet"

Bingo. Without knowing exactly what happened (we've seen 4-5 different versions of it from various sources), it's hard to answer the question.

That said, I'm of a mind that the entire process was sound and the outcome justified simply because I trust that all proper procedures were followed in the investigation and deliberation of the case. I have no reason not to believe that.