• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bradley Williams Suspended

Given what we know, was the PDGA suspension of Bradley Williams correct?

• Yes, and the amount of time was correct.

Votes: 122 51.5%
  • Yes, but the amount of time was not correct.

Votes: 69 29.1%
  • No, the process was flawed.

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • No, Bradley Williams should not have been suspended at all.

Votes: 16 6.8%

• Total voters
Translation: You millennials go ahead and have your little social media tantrum.....this is how things are done in the real world.

This ought to be quoted every 15 posts or so, for as long as this thread goes on.

For my entertainment, if nothing else.

This is only partly in response to One's post. While in one sense this is true, on the other hand, the rules, the past punishments and interpretations, are all in the public venue. Only the details of the incident are withheld. What kind of communication is important. I agree that communication has to be better, but not because the info isn't there, but because some don't have the patience to go look it up. By my memory of this thread, only one person has shown that they have gone and read the process as published, that would be JC. Even I am relying on memory of the process from six years ago.

Part of the question becomes, does the PDGA have an obligation to lay out the rules every time there is an incident like this one? No, but it is in their best interest to do so. A statement to the effect: BWs suspension for an altercation at the Ledgestone event is 18 months. In 2015 he was disciplined, with Y, for drinking during a PDGA event (link). In 2015 he was disciplined for damaging a course during a PDGA event, while another player was putting, with Z (link). That punishment included a 12 month prohibition that BW agreed to. At the Ledgestone, BW violated his prohibition, thus reinstating the 12 month suspension. For being involved in an altercation at the Ledgestone BW receives an additional 6 month suspension -gives a timeline and helps members understand what happened. Some are going to disagree with the length, but heck, that is inevitable.

Now, even with that, some are going to ask, why isn't M$ getting a suspension, it takes two to fight? Well, that's all you are going to get, and it's all you should. We have to assume there were interviews, and that the evidence convicted BW but not M$. Remember, the DC looks at this, the Board looks at this, and BG looks at this. Somehow, I find it hard to believe that all of them colluded to punish BW no matter what the evidence presented.

The part I bolded sums up my feelings on all of this. The PDGA does not have to do anything, obviously. But could be better served by doing so. Your proposed statement goes even further than I think they need to. Literally just saying BW was suspended for 18 months due to a physical altercation and he was on probation should be good. Sure, other speculation might come in, but at least something has been communicated clearly at this point.

I seriously have zero cares about the length of the suspension or anything like that. I just advocate for better communication of anything as it can stem all of this from the start. Foresight.

As for the privacy issue, I don't think the PDGA would be in any ethical or legal trouble to announce a suspension with a listed infraction. It's very bare bones, but still gets the point across.

Brace yourselves for the next wave of drama...... bet the next moves will get the thread over 100 pages....

As for the privacy issue, I don't think the PDGA would be in any ethical or legal trouble to announce a suspension with a listed infraction. It's very bare bones, but still gets the point across.
The BOD and their legal consultant disagree.

This whole thread is a moot point.

springfield_moot1_5.jpg

I don't doubt that this is a possible scenario. But, in our game of self governance, it should have been reported, regardless of where or how the situation was resolved. Physical confrontation is a step above most reportable infractions. I do agree that the decision should be made by the direct parties involved, unless others are consulted by those. I can see uninvolved people encouraging action, but again, until stated or proven it is speculation.

I think we agree in principle, the question is still whether bumping shoulders, possibly by accident, is really a physical confrontation. I have a habit of backing up on the tee after throwing and have bumped into people several times. I realize that's not exactly what happened here, and I always say something like "whoops", "pardon me", etc., even though it's probably the other player's fault for approaching the pad too quickly. It can be a congested area with 4 players and another 4 caddies, so I'd probably never consider bumping into someone in that situation as a physical confrontation. Just something that goes with the territory, not a big deal. Now if someone bashed into me and knocked me down and didn't say anything, that would be a whole other situation.

If you are sticking up for Bradley Williams and/or questioning the length and severity of the suspension, you are more than likely voting for Donald Trump. And I am judging you. Harshly.

The BOD and their legal consultant disagree.

Absolutely. There's zero upside for PDGA to deviate from their established processes and policies in this case. Especially considering the relative attention this case has generated.

The PDGA's reaction has seemed, to me, to be professional and correct - they have maintained perspective. The entire controversy is essentially just fun oxygen for DGCR, FB and the podcasts and I wouldn't want the PDGA to waste too much time participating in it, beyond issuing the above statement, which couldn't be clearer or more comprehensive.

Latest posts