• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Brainwave-Like Disc Dyeing

I'm gonna throw my hat in the ring on that flamed one as well, take up the challenge.............

Hey guys.... I'm trying the brainwave stuff and my dye isn't taking. Using old RIT purple.

1. How long do you guys leave the dye on before you put in the oven?
2. How long do you guys wait after taking out of the oven to rinse?

I used 1 RIT package to a quart of water.

I have not tried the wave type dyes yet, but I can add here that the rit dye should work as long as there is no 'ND' on the label. The liquid will have a number printed on the cap. If the number is followed by 'ND' I just take it as meaning 'no dye' since it doesn't dye plastic. On the powder stuff....if you open the box and look for the printed info on the packet it will also have the 'ND' if it is the new formula.

ovens are ok as long as the wife/mom/girlfriend doesn't catch you and you keep the temp low (and don't leave it unsupervised)

Fun fact to remember, paper burns at 451 F, a disc will be seriously messed up quite a ways below that.

Ya... I had it on the warm setting (under 200)... its all good. I will know for next time. It is all about the learning process.

I roasted and warped a roc in a toaster oven on simply "warm"..... No ovens for me.....

Welp.... got my first try in. Things that I now know:

1. Don't use a conventional oven.
2. Use vinegar in with the mixture to get the dye to take better.
3. Don't make mixture too heavy.
4. Spray with water bottle mid-way through to keep the dye from drying out too much.
5. Be patient.

773772_10100362292060996_1695419610_o.jpg

774875_10100362291991136_1863546394_o.jpg

Vinegar was brought up by Jeff Ash on the PDGA website in the link on like page 5 or 6 of this thread. I think he mentioned that it helps dissolve the crystals better. We will see. I'm going to experiment with it later.

Before I went to bed last night, It looked as if the SC waves had dried out completely. I don't think the dye will be taken up by the plastic if it is dry (am I wrong?) I think somebody had mentioned previously in this thread that they had used a spray bottle just to spritz.

I think I know where I need to change things in my process/application. We will see if it works.

So... I think I figured out the ring pattern. I'm sure that somebody else can dye it better than me. Just take the disc and use the same plate as normal. Instead of placing the whole disc in the mixture, just take one edge at a time. Should end up looking like this:

421628_10100362342988936_1388363943_n.jpg

^nice!!

are you guys mixing the dye with the shaving cream or dish soap or putting both n the plate and mixing it that way. that ring pattern may have to make its way onto one of my discs.