• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Brainwave-Like Disc Dyeing

he also mentioned in the same thread that he's used worm/bait dye to make rings on the outside edges of discs.

I havent tried that dye.... but yes the cleaner is what I was referring to. It uses the same exact chemicals as the other color mixes.

I havent tried the other dye that you mention. As for Jeff Ash thread for the technique and dyes... It is my understanding that Jeff would often throw weird stuff onto that forum just to throw people off.

yea - a few of the "instructions" he would post involved a particle decelerator, zero-gravity environment, etc... :|

I've been reading through this thread over the past couple of weeks and finally decided to try a wave dye. Pretty happy with my first attempt. I would also guess that the results would be more vivid with a more opaque disc. You guys mentioned that Jeff used tide? Are you mixing that with the dye? Is the tide just a carrier for liquid dye or does it serve another purpose in the process? What are you doing to prep the disc, vinegar soak? Unicorn tears?
IMAG1992-1sm.jpg

Came out nice for a first attempt. The tide would be used as a thickening agent if you were using RIT or idye vs a pre treat. What are you using dye wise?

I think that I just thought of how wonder nut is doing the nebula dyes.... I will try it sometime this week. If it isn't how he is doing it, it will probably be a new dye style regardless.

Please post your results. I would love to know as well. He is also using the same dye as Jeff Ash. I read it on one of his facebook pics. He said that he had shared his dyes with him. Its obvious with the colors they are both achieving. Seems the ones that know about this, don't want to let this out. Sucks cause most of us aren't ever going to get rich dyeing discs and aren't really trying to. I was wondering about acid dyes?

1st brainwave dyes

Thought I would post my first few tries at brainwave dyes. The first one is a little rough, but I think got the hang of it now.

Attachments

• Multi Color Brainwave Wraith.jpg
    Multi Color Brainwave Wraith.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 232
  • FLX Challenger.jpg
    FLX Challenger.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 184
  • Pro Wraith Brainwave.jpg
    Pro Wraith Brainwave.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 232
you sure? your dye looked pretty decent to me...what am I missing

This dye is one of Wondernuts. Is it not? Or were you (goosefraba) just posting it as an example of what to shoot for (I assume)? Its on his facebook page (link below).

I really wanna learn this technique as well! Whatever the mixture is, it is allowing for a lot of dye to soak into the disc to obtain those really vivid colors. I keep thinking plastic wrap is involved the way his edges blend so nicely around the outside areas of the front of the disc. Not sure though

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=221672588000794&set=pb.143379762496744.-2207520000.1386861099.&type=3&theater

he also mentioned in the same thread that he's used worm/bait dye to make rings on the outside edges of discs.

I dont think he was bull****ting us about this dye...Just did a test run on the bottom of a throwaway disc...Works like a charm...the green and yellow(chartreuse) are a little too close in pigment to see much of a contrast but they work well...really well. I will be ordering more colors soon.

It soaks into the plastic almost immediately and even after a warm water rinse the color held almost a 100%. Its called quick coat worm bait dye. I bought from this site. Shipped to my door in 2 days flat.

http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/soft-plastic-baits/380551.aspx

As far as technique goes...

1379619_221672588000794_733431971_n.jpg

This looks like what happens with really fast blowing air... and a more liquid consistency dye.

After looking at this again... I think that this could be possible with punky color already on a disc and then placing it face down on top of water, some type of oil, or soap ... should let it diffuse out. Any other ideas? Wondernut has got some awesome tricks up his sleeve.

After looking at this again... I think that this could be possible with punky color already on a disc and then placing it face down on top of water, some type of oil, or soap ... should let it diffuse out. Any other ideas? Wondernut has got some awesome tricks up his sleeve.

I keep thinking plastic wrap for some reason, like the disc is suspended in mid air in plastic wrap and maybe sitting in a dye solution of some sort. I was thinking maybe even a strong dye/detergent mix might be used. Not sure though. I certainly like that style of dyed discs. Hopefully we can figure it out...I got a new buzz id love to dye that way. I need to know what im doing first though before I dye that disc this way :D

I'm thinking if you mix some of the worm dye with detergent in a shallow dish and gently place the disc on top, you may get this type of result.

Like, put a bed of detergent down, the use a dropper to 'place' dye where you'd like it, then set the disc in it. Almost like a shaving cream marble.

with those vivid colors, I'd be surprised if it was punky or idye being used.

I'm thinking if you mix some of the worm dye with detergent in a shallow dish and gently place the disc on top, you may get this type of result.

Like, put a bed of detergent down, the use a dropper to 'place' dye where you'd like it, then set the disc in it. Almost like a shaving cream marble.

with those vivid colors, I'd be surprised if it was punky or idye being used.

You might be onto something here. I think I'll give it a go since I now have the full spectrum of worm dye. I need to go shopping first for a good pan or plate to attempt this with. I got Tuesday off so I think I'll make this my project. Either way it sounds like it would produce a cool effect.

I'm trying to figure out what causes the bubbles... it seems like it could either be something boiling... or maybe soap bubbles.