• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Brodie Smith PDGA #128378

OMG he made a tweet and promoted his brand!!!! Who ****ing cares? Jesus Christ people.

If PDGA assumed people wanted to warm up with nets or that half a range was acceptable while folks are hitting ****ing golf balls on the other half, it was a bad mistake. Again I'm sure they won't repeat it. PDGA isn't perfect but they are learning and dealing with growing pains too.

He's fighting with the PDGA and it looks like he's trying to make them look bad. So yeah, I care about that because that's not good for the sport.

He brings the eyes, sure....

But when these "eyes" see this whiny, petulant, attention seeking bro, is that what is gonna make them explore the sport farther? Or is it immediately gonna turn them off to it?

I think it's a fair question.

OMG he made a tweet and promoted his brand!!!! Who ****ing cares? Jesus Christ people.

If PDGA assumed people wanted to warm up with nets or that half a range was acceptable while folks are hitting ****ing golf balls on the other half, it was a bad mistake. Again I'm sure they won't repeat it. PDGA isn't perfect but they are learning and dealing with growing pains too.
I think a lot of us are aware that the professional players are not happy with the PDGA and what the PDGA does is never good enough for them. We are also aware there are two sides to the story. Personally I don't have a dog in the hunt and don't really care to take a side. So for me, I'd rather not have social media drama.

The recent anti-PDGA social media drama is I guess aimed at making me take the players side, but it mostly makes me think the players are entitled whiners. BUT...that's cynical me AND I'm fully aware that I don't have the full story so I'm not going to tell anyone else that the players are entitled whiners as a fact. What I will say is I wish the dirty laundry was being aired someplace else where we didn't see it. I think it would be easier to fix any issues if the players were not raking the PDGA over the coals every time they held a major.

I think a lot of us are aware that the professional players are not happy with the PDGA and what the PDGA does is never good enough for them. We are also aware there are two sides to the story. Personally I don't have a dog in the hunt and don't really care to take a side. So for me, I'd rather not have social media drama.

The recent anti-PDGA social media drama is I guess aimed at making me take the players side, but it mostly makes me think the players are entitled whiners. BUT...that's cynical me AND I'm fully aware that I don't have the full story so I'm not going to tell anyone else that the players are entitled whiners as a fact. What I will say is I wish the dirty laundry was being aired someplace else where we didn't see it. I think it would be easier to fix any issues if the players were not raking the PDGA over the coals every time they held a major.

I mean, if the PDGA is not responding to player comments behind the scenes, maybe some public pressure is what will get their attention. Ultimately i think disc golf needs a quality functioning PDGA. They may be going through some growing pains right now. I think public criticism can be justified, but I also think it needs to remain constructive and not turn into bashing. It is a fine line that the players should try to walk. Making the PDGA look inept isn't going to accomplish anything.

Brodie is all theater. He needs to fight against the powers at be (PDGA) and the "haters" because he is the hero of his social media narrative he has crafted.

Truth is subjective and facts are meaningless.

you're right, disc golf was nothing before Brody.:wall:

Show me where I said disc golf was nothing before him?

He's a big name who as appealed to mainstream media and has brought new eyes to the game. More eyes equals more marketability. Being more marketable is the key to unlocking bigger sponsorships, bigger purses, and higher level national exposure.

I could give 2 farts if Brodie is in disc golf or not. The sport was obviously here long before him and will be long after. The entire time I've been playing, there's been this nebulous push to get more exposure for the sport. Well, here it is, I guess. Like it or not.

Also, it's super easy to ignore basically anything he does, same as it is with any other social media based personality.

He's a big name who as appealed to mainstream media and has brought new eyes to the game. More eyes equals more marketability. Being more marketable is the key to unlocking bigger sponsorships, bigger purses, and higher level national exposure.

I could give 2 farts if Brodie is in disc golf or not. The sport was obviously here long before him and will be long after. The entire time I've been playing, there's been this nebulous push to get more exposure for the sport. Well, here it is, I guess. Like it or not.

Also, it's super easy to ignore basically anything he does, same as it is with any other social media based personality.
I would literally have no idea he was playing disc golf if it wasn't for brutalbrutus' restraining-order-level obsession with posting how all his rounds are going. :p

I mean, if the PDGA is not responding to player comments behind the scenes, maybe some public pressure is what will get their attention. Ultimately i think disc golf needs a quality functioning PDGA. They may be going through some growing pains right now. I think public criticism can be justified, but I also think it needs to remain constructive and not turn into bashing. It is a fine line that the players should try to walk. Making the PDGA look inept isn't going to accomplish anything.

Maybe these players who take umbrage with the PDGA should get more involved in the organization?

Get on the board. Apply for job openings. Volunteer to get things done.

Maybe these players who take umbrage with the PDGA should get more involved in the organization?

I really don't know the details. Maybe some are?

I just know the social media drama leads to speculation that a)the professional players are entitled whiners and b)the org is run by tone-deaf incompetent morons. Neither one are a good look, and likely neither one are true. So if the players have concerns, there has to be a better way.

I would literally have no idea he was playing disc golf if it wasn't for brutalbrutus' restraining-order-level obsession with posting how all his rounds are going. :p

Speaking of which...

Had a decent day at the golf course... -4 and atm has moved up 40ish spots and is above the cut line but there are a lot of guys just starting their rounds right behind him

I really don't know the details. Maybe some are?

I just know the social media drama leads to speculation that a)the professional players are entitled whiners and b)the org is run by tone-deaf incompetent morons. Neither one are a good look, and likely neither one are true. So if the players have concerns, there has to be a better way.

That's fair.

If memory serves Will S is on the board. So...progress??

Yeah, I probably overreacted to your comment that disc golf needs Brody more than he needs disc golf. My fault for putting words in your mouth.

I am sure though that he turned to disc golf because he realized throwing trick shots with an ultimate disc was not going to be a long term career. At least here he can actually move some product and make a more sustainable living. I am just not sure that Brody contributed so much to the huge gains in popularity as COVID did. I mean there is no way to really know. He obviously had an influence, i just think that huge jump last year would have happened even if he had not picked it up.

That's fair.

If memory serves Will S is on the board. So...progress??
Will Schusterick has been on. Elaine King is currently on the board. Kevin McCoy was on, Shawn Sinclair was on, Julianna Korver was on, Dave Feldberg was on, Avery Jenkins was on, Cale Leiviska was on...I mean, it's a players sport and a players org. The list of former BoD members is littered with big-time disc golf players names. Gregg Hosfeld, Dr. Rick...Hell, when Ed Headrick turned over the org the BoD had Tom Monroe and Steve Wisecup on it. So I'm not sure if it's progress or status quo.

It was a couple years ago Trevor Harbolt ran a huge social media campaign promising to shake up the PDGA. Once he got elected, I don't think I heard about him again (other than footfaults) until he left the board.

Not sure if he developed Stockholm Syndrome or if it's too hard to make strides while serving on the board.

It was a couple years ago Trevor Harbolt ran a huge social media campaign promising to shake up the PDGA. Once he got elected, I don't think I heard about him again (other than footfaults) until he left the board.

Not sure if he developed Stockholm Syndrome or if it's too hard to make strides while serving on the board.

Or maybe the realisation comes that all those things that they personally think are holding the sport back stop looking so important when they're on the inside and see the actual work going on behind the scenes.

Maybe, hopefully some humility occurs and the realisation hits that their particular bugbear is just one of many and maybe not the most important one and they realise there is so much other stuff to focus on as well that is being done well and impacts more people than their own issue.

The boring stuff. The stuff that doesn't make headlines. The stuff that let's us all play the sport.

Maybe that's why.

Probably not though, they probably find out that it takes a ridiculous amount of volunteer effort to make the changes they want to see so give up.

It's Good old Social media at it's best ripping up the crowd to rage. Everyone has a soap box platform to air their views and those with a following get a bigger soapbox. Their views aren't necessarily right or wrong they're just louder. They get seen as important as they're shouted the loudest but an international organisation has to make decisions for the benefit of the majority not the loudest.

Expenditure when it's member funded also needs to go through the correct procedures and checks and balances. At least I would like to think so.

Or maybe the realisation comes that all those things that they personally think are holding the sport back stop looking so important when they're on the inside and see the actual work going on behind the scenes.

Maybe, hopefully some humility occurs and the realisation hits that their particular bugbear is just one of many and maybe not the most important one and they realise there is so much other stuff to focus on as well that is being done well and impacts more people than their own issue.

The boring stuff. The stuff that doesn't make headlines. The stuff that let's us all play the sport.

Maybe that's why.

Probably not though, they probably find out that it takes a ridiculous amount of volunteer effort to make the changes they want to see so give up.

It's Good old Social media at it's best ripping up the crowd to rage. Everyone has a soap box platform to air their views and those with a following get a bigger soapbox. Their views aren't necessarily right or wrong they're just louder. They get seen as important as they're shouted the loudest but an international organisation has to make decisions for the benefit of the majority not the loudest.

Expenditure when it's member funded also needs to go through the correct procedures and checks and balances. At least I would like to think so.

Which is why the PDGA and it's representatives need to stay out of the social media fray of the pro players. They will always look bad if they try to go head to head on snarky/drama level.