• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Brodie Smith PDGA #128378

Interesting read this afternoon.

on Brodie, as someone who was a subscriber before he ever picked up a golf disc, he is a YouTube influencer that happens to have some skills that could parlay into being a decent disc golfer.

I happen to come from an Ultimate background too but gravitated to Disc Golf 33 years ago. At the time I could throw as far as the big guys, just lacked accuracy and mental game. I see a lot of that in Brodie too. He works at it, unfortunately some feel that him making content of his journey is being a braggard. Nope, it's what he is suppose to do. I don't think he is putting out enough YouTube video's now, he really is trying to make it a go at disc golf.

Does he need to make disc golf a career? Nope, he has done a very good job branding himself and making money off sponsorships.

That is what these top pro's need to do. I had a good conversation with Emerson Keith about this very thing a few years ago when I first sponsored him (for the 2019 season) Even then he had a goal of making it to the top 5 at Worlds saying it would help him make Disc Golf a carreer. Well, he managed to lead most of the tournament and finished 3rd place. It got him a better sponsorship deal and a HUGE RV to live in. Even I doubled my sponsorship to him for 2020 that he took full advantage of for his 2nd wedding rehearsal dinner

Brodie is fighting with the organization that is making him a lot of money.

The PDGA is making Brodie $0.

Brodie is making Brodie $$$ - whether people like the way he goes about it is another story.

I have no problem with his hustle' - my guess is, out of every player in the PDGA, only PMcBeth moves more product.

It was a couple years ago Trevor Harbolt ran a huge social media campaign promising to shake up the PDGA. Once he got elected, I don't think I heard about him again (other than footfaults) until he left the board.

Not sure if he developed Stockholm Syndrome or if it's too hard to make strides while serving on the board.
Harbolt didn't win the election; I think there were three open seats and he came in fourth. Kevin McCoy quit right after the election and Harbolt was appointed to finish out the last year of McCoy's term. He ran again after that year when there were two open seats and came in third. So he was only there for a year, which wouldn't have been much time to get things done. His DGA bio says "While on the Board of Directors, Trevor created the Professional Touring Players Committee to help advise the PDGA on how the players within the sport of Disc Golf can help the governing body of Disc Golf." So it seemed like he was working on stuff, he just didn't get much of a chance to see it through. It does look like he's on the Professional Touring Players Committee currently.

But, you know...it has been a pretty solid ride, Three Putt. I think the game has aged well, growing gracefully. Maybe the pro game has outgrown the PDGA, but the next stage is on the pro players themselves.
The thing that I think isn't appreciated is that under the PDGA through 2019 you had a sport that never went backward. There was slow and steady growth. The number of courses grew slowly but steadily. The number of players slowly increased. It was never fast enough to keep people happy, but it was constant progress.

What people kept waiting for was that "We're here" moment where the whole thing boomed. It took a global pandemic, but it appears we are here now. All the slow steady growth put disc golf in a position to break open when the opportunity was there.

The tricky thing is booms only last for so long and what comes after the boom is over, but that we shall see. But absolutely if disc golf remains as big as it is now, it will have outgrown the "one org" model that got us this far.

The PDGA should have learned waaayyy back during the Cam Todd fiasco that you can't fight the players on social media.

Disc golf is a players sport, it always has been. You earn your reputation on the course. For the majority of disc golfers, somebody with a 1000 rating is more credible than a PDGA BoD member. 1000 rated guys earn that on the course. PDGA BoD people are just the stuffed shirts behind the scenes. Once the BoD goes up against a prominent player, they automatically lose.

They needed to shut up and let it blow over.

The tricky thing is booms only last for so long and what comes after the boom is over, but that we shall see. But absolutely if disc golf remains as big as it is now, it will have outgrown the "one org" model that got us this far.

The thing I'm waiting to see around here, is multiple events on the same day. For the most part, TDs/shops/clubs in my region have preplanned the season out so that there isn't an overlap but it's getting to the point that some events fill up really fast and before long, there will be opportunity to double up on events...

For instance, the last weekend in May, on Saturday, there was a c-tier between here and Dayton that drew 210 players and then another ctier on Sunday on the East side of Cincy that got 102. Then two weeks ago The Nati Big 3 2day Btier drew over 220...

...there's so much demand for tourney spots in a lot of areas, are there gonna be enough people in a given region/city willing to run events to meet the demand?

The PDGA should have learned waaayyy back during the Cam Todd fiasco that you can't fight the players on social media.

Disc golf is a players sport, it always has been. You earn your reputation on the course. For the majority of disc golfers, somebody with a 1000 rating is more credible than a PDGA BoD member. 1000 rated guys earn that on the course. PDGA BoD people are just the stuffed shirts behind the scenes. Once the BoD goes up against a prominent player, they automatically lose.

They needed to shut up and let it blow over.

Or at the very least, own up to their mistake. That guy contradicted himself by saying the PDGA was told no when they asked about the driving range but then goes on to say if Brodie brought it to their attention they would've handled it.

Really sad to see these are the kind of people in leadership positions at the PDGA. If they didn't host Worlds, would the players just jump ship and only play DGPT events?

Or at the very least, own up to their mistake. That guy contradicted himself by saying the PDGA was told no when they asked about the driving range but then goes on to say if Brodie brought it to their attention they would've handled it.

Really sad to see these are the kind of people in leadership positions at the PDGA. If they didn't host Worlds, would the players just jump ship and only play DGPT events?
DGPT events are PDGA sanctioned; so long as that is the case they can't.

Worlds are hopefully the most prestigious tournament of the year, but it is only 1 part of the Worlds picture. The smallest part, and IMO, the most insignificant part.

I mean, I understand that we are talking about the cataclysm of having a handful of players warm up into a net, or down the road a quarter mile.

The PDGA dropped the ball. Brodie seized upon the self marketing angle. I think making more out of this is myopic, at best.

Worlds are hopefully the most prestigious tournament of the year, but it is only 1 part of the Worlds picture. The smallest part, and IMO, the most insignificant part.

I mean, I understand that we are talking about the cataclysm of having a handful of players warm up into a net, or down the road a quarter mile.

The PDGA dropped the ball. Brodie seized upon the self marketing angle. I think making more out of this is myopic, at best.
World's already isn't what it was. It was for a long time essentially the disc golf family reunion. The combined Pro/Am World's were big parties and oh, by the way there are some folks over here taking the competition seriously. We got too big for that, so now MPO/FPO are split off into this thing that is only the competition part of what World's used to be.

Not that I'm saying that is a bad thing. Certainly if you wanted the sport to be more mainstream or whatever it's a good thing. It just makes what World's was in say 2000 or 2010 not what it is today. The family is prolly too big to be having a reunion anymore.

It could be possible that PDGA asked "Can the driving range be closed off for our exclusive use?" and the course said no.

Then Brodie went in and said...."How about if I give you $1000 to give us exclusive use?" and course said ....heck yeah!

PDGA may have thought they could just get the driving range as part of the use of the course. Brodie, could have told the PDGA...."hey, they are willing to RENT it to us."