• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Brodie Smith PDGA #128378

Have been playing pretty poorly so have a decent amount of free time. Read through some of these messages and it seems like there's some confusion so I'm here to clear that up and answer any questions. Also, I posted the amount to show how little it really was. $1000 is what I offered the head guy at the range and he accepted immediately (I wonder how much lower he would have accepted). We received an email last night stating that the range would be available for the rest of the tournament so mission accomplished. However, the sprinkler system did go off this morning causing the early FPO rounds not to be able to use the driving range. (From the Facebook group we got confirmation from Jeff Spring that the sprinkler issue has been fixed. So any confusion still or questions let me know.

I am not sure i understand the Brody appeal/hate. He is obviously a personality and does bring eyes to the sport mostly for that reason. But he is not a good enough player to really hate. I don't find him personally that interesting, so I just ignore him. I guess if he were on lead card coverage i could see being annoyed by him, but it is not like he is. So why do so many concern themselves with someone who obviously annoys them? There are plenty of social media personalities that I have run across that I have no interest in ever seeing again and there is just not enough time in my day to be bothered to care.

Seriously, why do people love to hate Brody? I genuinely don't understand why he is worth caring about.

I believe that if you reflect on why you even made this post, you may be closer to understanding a good chunk of the dynamics at play that continue to drive the conversation.

Also, I'm not being flippant, nor is this any sort of criticism of you or anyone else.

While I'm not sticking up for Brodie's attention whoring...why didn't the PDGA have the foresight to rent the entire range?

I'm guessing they thought:

A: They didn't need the whole range
B: Mulligan's would enforce the restriction

Seems reasonable to me, but I'm altered

I'm guessing they thought:

A: They didn't need the whole range
B: Mulligan's would enforce the restriction

Seems reasonable to me, but I'm altered

A PDGA employee told me they thought players wanted to throw in a net and not full shots.

Based on what I've seen on Twitter this was clearly a "look at me I'm Brodie Smith and look how awesome me and my Foundation Disc Golf Company is." Feel free to argue whatever you want unverified Brodiesmith account but that's exactly how it came across. A little modesty would go a long long way here Brodster.

And everyone who refers to me as a "hater" for this criticism you're an idiot. It's criticism. Not hate. There's a big difference.

And this Twitter exchange shows me all I need to back up my previous post:

https://twitter.com/Brodiesmith21/status/1407529771337093120

https://twitter.com/pdga_dvo/status/1407717654979170312

Not only that, but this tweet is pinned right to the top of Brodies twitter profile:

https://twitter.com/Brodiesmith21/status/1407378437514301445

Starts off with "Just paid $1000" and then ends with a @FoundationDG. If that doesn't scream "LOOK AT ME AND HOW AWESOME ME AND MY FOUNDATION ARE" then I don't know what does. This is clearly attention whoring and it's tiresome. I want to like Brodie. He could be good for the sport but this is stupid. Brodie is fighting with the organization that is making him a lot of money. Could the PDGA be doing a lot better job? Of course. Is the PDGA making money off of Brodie on the tour? Probably - almost certainly. But BOTH parties would be better served (and the disc golf community as a whole) if these two would actually try to work together. And don't tell me this "oh but we are trying to work together" nonsense. If you were, there wouldn't be this idiotic twitter stupidity.

I think it is because he is new to disc golf and is so arrogant about it. He comes across as thinking that he is the greatest thing that happened to disc golf and everyone better agree with his ideas/opinions.

(and I've met him and tried to chat with him after a round).

But he clearly isn't. Until he wins or even gets good enough to be a Simon type that is all about the show, he is just a yapping dog. Just ignore him unless he makes it so he can't be ignored. I think he has more to offer to Paul specifically than disc golf as a whole. Right now he is just noise.

I don't know what y'all are on about here.

Fact of the matter is that disc golf needs Brodie way more than he needs disc golf. Dude doesn't have to work a real job again in his life, he's a YouTube pioneer and I think he's be able to figure out what way to stay relevant there without disc golf.

Anything he does that promotes anything disc golf related is kind of just icing on the cake. Whether you like the flavor of the cake is kind of irrelevant

Last edited:
Lol.

Emerson Keith is leading Worlds after day two. The last time we did this, it seems to me Emerson Keith had the lead during the event. He finished T3. Seems like a guy we should talk about if you want to talk about, you know...professional disc golf or something.

The only Emerson Keith thread I can find on this site is a ITB thread with three replies.

This thread has about 3,500 replies in it. It's got more activity than any thread about any professional disc golfer (although I'm sure the "ask McBeth" thread would have gone berserk several times if over the years if he would have hung around) by quite a large margin.

Basically the guy knows how this stuff works. He gets the clicks. He's got people on here talking about him. Considering that we are NOT talking about Emerson Keith, it seems like disc golf needs the clicks. So he's in 100th place 20 strokes out after two rounds, so what? He gets the clicks. That's how this works.

Fact of the matter is that disc golf needs Brodie way more than he needs disc golf. Dude doesn't have to work a real job again in his life, he's a YouTube pioneer and I think he's be able to figure out what way to stay relevant there without disc golf.

Anything he does that promotes anything disc golf related is kind of just icing on the cake. Whether you like the flavor of the cake is kind of irrelevant

I don't think disc golf need Brodie, at all. Of course, I am not in the "disc golf is going big time" crowd.

Disc golf was fine before Brody, and disc golf will survive Brody. He's no more (or less) to disc golf than any of us (read as "each of us") make him out to be.

If his presence in the game is more significant to others so be it. That's up to the individual.

Personally, he's barely on my radar. I only know of him because of his association with McBeth and Discraft's sponsorship. I'm pretty certain that nothing he does or doesn't do, us really gonna impact my DG experience.

YMMV

Last edited:
I don't think disc golf need Brodie, at all. Of course, I am not in the "disc golf is going big time" crowd.
I mean I totally get you. I don't need whatever is going on with disc golf now. I was pretty happy with the state of disc golf 2010. I was actually pretty happy with the state of disc golf 1995. Mach III spit-outs make me more nostalgic than mad. 6,000' wooded "all par 3" courses still kick my backside and I hate throwing golf discs over water. I don't really care for a lot of the direction the sport is going. I don't watch or care about pro disc golf. For my day-to-day disc golfing life, none of this makes any difference to me at all. I don't need Brodie Smith.

It IS what the PDGA and disc golf promoters always wanted, though. We are very rapidly making progress to a goal some people have had for decades. It's a dream some people have carried for 35-40 years that disc golf would go big-time mainstream and people would make baseball-player incomes frolfing. If you are one of those people, you need Brodie Smith.

So how you feel about him probably depends on what you really want out of the sport. I don't need Brodie Smith for disc golf to be what I want disc golf to be. A lot of people on this board want disc golf to be a lot more than I need it to be, though.

you're right, disc golf was nothing before Brody.:wall:

Seriously though, he can bring eyes, but it will be others that keep those eyes on disc golf in the long run. I think he is currently like the Anna Kornikova of disc golf, although obviously not exactly the same. He may get casual fans to the sport, but it takes McBeths, Eagles, and Simons to keep them. Long term growth means getting people to buy more than a couple of discs and play a little. Long term growth means more hardcore fans. Not necessarily to the extent of people on here, but more than just buy three discs and that is enough. Brody is the gateway drug, Simon is the hard stuff.

Last edited:
He brings the eyes, sure....

But when these "eyes" see this whiny, petulant, attention seeking bro, is that what is gonna make them explore the sport farther? Or is it immediately gonna turn them off to it?

I think it's a fair question.

OMG he made a tweet and promoted his brand!!!! Who ****ing cares? Jesus Christ people.

If PDGA assumed people wanted to warm up with nets or that half a range was acceptable while folks are hitting ****ing golf balls on the other half, it was a bad mistake. Again I'm sure they won't repeat it. PDGA isn't perfect but they are learning and dealing with growing pains too.